Where do you buy your meat?

Associate
I'd love to buy my meat from the local butcher, but I'm still a student (3 months to go tf!), and the ms is a trainee solicitor, so we're not in a position to be spending on quality meat. Nor do we have the freezer space for bulk purchases. It's the two minute walk to Morrisons for us.

In fairness, their butcher is pretty good. I guess it depends on the individual branch though.

Soldato
Do they now clearly state where all their meat comes from ? last time we discussed them it was Roumanian chicken ?

they could have better welfare standards than the UK (where few folks meet the rscpa standards .. just the misleading red tractor) but I am dubious,
saying that farming today 5:40am this morning were interviewing UK pig farmers who save £10/pig by slatted floor barns where they never see any hay

Soldato
Costco. I usually only get British produce too. It’s travelled less, usually raised with higher standards and tastes great! Got a massive flank steak last time and sliced it thinly after cooking it medium rare.

Soldato
Just Aldi these days.

Tried Muscle Food years ago and was impressed but I don't really see any point in the faff with deliveries now that I just get basics with weekly shop.

Occasionally treat myself to a nice steak or something at local butchers though.

Associate
Nowadays I goto Morrison's for day to day stuff - the stuff on the meat counter has always seemed reasonable quality.

I have a local farm shop (flower farm shop) that have started using recently - the lamb, pork & chicken are reared on the farm and are really good plus they source some decent beef.

Soldato
65 quid, not much to show for it imo.

Just dunno why u didn't go to a supermarket, you would have got more for Ur money and quality is ok.

I think buying from so called posh places online or farms who say it's magically raised meat is a load of bull.

Butchers if I can get to one or supermarket is good enough.

Man of Honour
My former local butchers. We have another one that's closer, but they are nowhere near as good, so every couple of weeks I go the 5 miles and stock up.
Also works out about the same as buying from the supermarket, but massively better quality.

Have also used another localish one occasionally that's a bit odd, used them for goat, mutton, ostrich, kangaroo and so on.

Oh yeah, and every year we get a lamb from a friend in wales. Prepped however we want, vacuum sealed, chilled and driven to us when she comes to visit. Maybe next year I'll ask for it whole and learn how to butcher it myself. Would love to learn to do that properly.

Soldato
Had sometimes bought heck sausages ... and wrongly assumed they were free range , but apparently they are RedTractor/ inside-slats bred, so will probably try waitrose free range , same price next time
.. its not unique to them, but shows how those subtle/sly marketers work.

The website of the Yorkshire-based company promises “farmers’ market quality” and says it makes food in “small batches”, but it is a rapidly growing business, using pork shoulders from 3,000 pigs a week. It does not state that, in line with the UK average, about 60 per cent of the pigs it uses spend their entire lives indoors. Their sheds may have plenty of fresh air and sight of the outdoors but they do not go outside.
When approached by The Times last week, Heck admitted most of the pigs it used were kept inside but denied that the image of the pig outside was misleading. The company sent letters from its lawyers threatening to obtain an injunction preventing us from publishing this article. Yesterday it changed its mind and said that after discussing the concerns raised, it would remove the pig from the landscape scene. It will also remove a chicken from a similar label on its chicken sausages. It said the new labels would appear on its products from next week.

39889373265_c502036915_o_d.jpg

Soldato
Probably 75% butchers and 25% asda, try to go to butchers as much as possible but it closes after I finish work so only really can go Saturday morning. It's much better than asda and not that much more expensive to be honest.

Man of Honour
I'm tempted to try Field and Flower. Heard good things.
field and flower are very good, but extremely pricey as well. I used them for a long time before being sensible and cutting my food spending.

They are extremely helpful and will do odd requests no issues.

im still looking for a balance good produce and sensible prices, as well as all the cuts I want. that's the hardest bit, so many places don't have all my normal cuts and having to phone up and order every time (if they even do it) is annoying.

anyone used www.keevilandkeevil.co.uk ?

they seem to have the odd normal cuts I want like pig cheeks, short rib and bavette, but no chicken thighs.

Last edited:
Caporegime
field and flower are very good, but extremely pricey as well. I used them for a long time before being sensible and cutting my food spending.

They are extremely helpful and will do odd requests no issues.

im still looking for a balance good produce and sensible prices, as well as all the cuts I want. that's the hardest bit, so many places don't have all my normal cuts and having to phone up and order every time (if they even do it) is annoying.

anyone used www.keevilandkeevil.co.uk ?

they seem to have the odd normal cuts I want like pig cheeks, short rib and bavette, but no chicken thighs.

What I have done over the last years is just cut down the amount of meat I eat a lot, and buy higher quality better reared produce. Works out cheaper overall,, healthier, better for the environment and tastier meats

FTM

FTM

Soldato
not bought supermarket meat for over 8 months now...just use my local butcher

the beef is far superior in texture and flavour, but its the chicken that the huge eye opener...yes it more expensive but you wouldn't think they were from the same species compared to asdas water filled chicken

I am lucky that a couple of quid extra on a kilo of chicken makes no difference to me....taste and quality are worth it

Back
Top Bottom