• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Where have all the graphics cards gone?

Soldato
Not just gaming cards, Nvidia is running out of high end server class GPUs that retail for over $15000 - the components to make GPUs are in short supply

Associate
If you need voucher I will help you get some :).

I just sold my GTX1080 bought for 240£ in November 7th from a kid, yesterday, the 7th of December, for 300£ and 10£ for my drop off...
The market is abnormal at the moment.

Got a Palit OC 3070 from Basildon (small shop) for 610£ this morning

Associate
If you need voucher I will help you get some :).

I just sold my GTX1080 bought for 240£ in November 7th from a kid, yesterday, the 7th of December, for 300£ and 10£ for my drop off...
The market is abnormal at the moment.

Got a Palit OC 3070 from Basildon (small shop) for 610£ this morning

Lol, that's bonkers

Associate
Due to bizarre timing, I've ended up with two different 3070s arriving tomorrow (if only SLI was still a thing).

You can definitely pick them up if you put in the effort. Just don't too keen like I did lol

Associate
It isn't a yield issue - yields are OK not as good as TSMC 7nm but not terrible either. Samsung just doesn't have great throughput capacity of the nVidia 8nm process.

AFAIK nVidia's commercial production is all on 12FF and 7nm (possibly a little bit on Samsung 14nm but not sure on that).

EDIT: I think some of the AIBs possibly in collusion with some retailers are messing with supply to keep prices high - some of the non-FE product availability is distinctly odd to say the least.
this man has it spot on! although it aint juts aib's.

Caporegime
Yeah I think AMD + nV + many others are basically taking the pee out of us now.

I've cancelled my plans to upgrade and put them back 3-6 months. They can take the pee if they want, but they shouldn't be surprised when people start to have enough of their antics. I'm not going to stress myself out trying to compete to buy products at RRP, lol.

In the meantime I expect these manufactured "shortages" to last probably a full quarter. Because they can get away with it.

Associate
Yeah I think AMD + nV + many others are basically taking the pee out of us now.

I've cancelled my plans to upgrade and put them back 3-6 months. They can take the pee if they want, but they shouldn't be surprised when people start to have enough of their antics. I'm not going to stress myself out trying to compete to buy products at RRP, lol.

In the meantime I expect these manufactured "shortages" to last probably a full quarter. Because they can get away with it.
same, problem is people seem to be buying them regardless and that wont change anything... 10 of us not buying wont have any affect when thousands are buying at vastly inflated prices... lets hope things get back to normal next quarter though, although i wont buy a gpu that late into its life cycle. so another year of not upgrading now for me.

Associate
Did anyone saw the news that one container with MSI cards went missing last weekend in China? 250 or so cards in it... Heard some rumours in Romania as well...

Soldato
No. Bit irresponsible of Linus not looking into the actual details.

A 3rd party speculated in (or rather as an explanation to) a financial report that nVidia made a certain amount from cryptominer purchases (doesn't specify the relationship) and then separately used 3080 mining performance as a reference for roughly how many GPUs that would be - then under-estimated because they don't know what actual GPUs were sold - the report itself doesn't tie a specific number of Ampere GPUs or even Ampere at all to that mining related income and is only a speculation as to how much nVidia made from that avenue and doesn't specific the nature of the relationship i.e. direct sales, contract or retail, etc. though makes some assumptions about OEM sales.

(A good chunk of that income would have been before nVidia even had 8nm Ampere chips back from Samsung).

good job I was been cautious with the question mark. :)

Soldato

There is some potential in that as well, remember when the 1080ti's went on sale just before 2000 series launch? They had low availability and high prices for months on end, then suddenly when it was decided the stock needing clearing out every retailer had masses for sale at RRP, and a free game to boot.

We have seen youtubers do tours of the factories of msi and co, yet the amount of stock been given to retailers, you would think the cards are been hand made by some guy in a shed.

Associate
There is some potential in that as well, remember when the 1080ti's went on sale just before 2000 series launch? They had low availability and high prices for months on end, then suddenly when it was decided the stock needing clearing out every retailer had masses for sale at RRP, and a free game to boot.

We have seen youtubers do tours of the factories of msi and co, yet the amount of stock been given to retailers, you would think the cards are been hand made by some guy in a shed.

It is all about Patience and just waiting for opportunity. you will probably get one or two free games which are currently selling for the £40 to £50 mark when they are looking to clear out stock next summer

Back
Top Bottom