• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Where have all the graphics cards gone?

Associate
Was originally planning on carrying mmy old 1060 card across into the new build and upgrading the graphics later.

Then the bug hit, except...

Whats happened to all the graphics cards? I was thinking maybe a 2060, or could move to a 5600XT or 5700XT.
But you cant find anything, they are all sold out, unless you want to buy a 3090. It seems to be a wierd time when the new cards are not yetr delivered, and the old ones are all dissappearing too.

What to do?

Caporegime
Was originally planning on carrying mmy old 1060 card across into the new build and upgrading the graphics later.

Then the bug hit, except...

Whats happened to all the graphics cards? I was thinking maybe a 2060, or could move to a 5600XT or 5700XT.
But you cant find anything, they are all sold out, unless you want to buy a 3090. It seems to be a wierd time when the new cards are not yetr delivered, and the old ones are all dissappearing too.

What to do?
The world has gone mad and everyone is buying all the graphics cards, everywhere, bar the 3090's and the 2080TI's that cost £1400. Never seen anything like it.

Associate
Don't support the scalpers no matter how much your anal region is itching, that my advise!

Scalpers....you mean an individual or business that inflates the price of a product for no other reason than to make a quick buck out of consumers desperation?.

Associate
There's global shortages of a lot of things and video cards and consoles are right at the top of that list and it'll be like this probably until at least Q2 next year. You've broadly got 3 options:

1) Buy scalped at hugely inflated cost
2) Queue into a long queue for one, but at least have a guaranteed spot
3) Subscribe to alert services that alter you of new stock and camp at your PC and hope to get very lucky

If you have enough money to float for 2x the cost of the card you can do 2 and 3 simultaneously like I did, and then refund the preorder if you get lucky.

Associate
Scalpers....you mean an individual or business that inflates the price of a product for no other reason than to make a quick buck out of consumers desperation?.

Yes, and it should be illegal. It completely undermines the economy, and takes advantage of people at an extremely difficult time.

If I had my way, they would have their scalped wares confiscated, and then be hit with a nice financially ruinous fine for their efforts!

Soldato
I've had a lump full of waiting for my card tbh, if i see one pop up on discord I might buy one if the price is right. Still have to buy a new PSU to go with it which have also gone up in price.

Now.. Question is do I wait for a 3080Ti, get any decent price 3080 from a discord alert, or go 6800XT but my monitor doesn't support freesync

Soldato
I've had a lump full of waiting for my card tbh, if i see one pop up on discord I might buy one if the price is right. Still have to buy a new PSU to go with it which have also gone up in price.

Now.. Question is do I wait for a 3080Ti, get any decent price 3080 from a discord alert, or go 6800XT but my monitor doesn't support freesync

The same thing will happen with the 3080ti.
Scalpers gonna scalp.
Also, I fully expect Brexit to push prices up so you may end up paying 3090 prices anyway.

Caporegime
Yes, and it should be illegal. It completely undermines the economy, and takes advantage of people at an extremely difficult time.

If I had my way, they would have their scalped wares confiscated, and then be hit with a nice financially ruinous fine for their efforts!
It actually bolsters the economy, due in part to the circular flow of income.

It only takes advantage of people that are too dense to realise that they shouldn't be buying something they can't afford, which applies to any product or service.

You can't legislate this and maintain a relatively free market. The same thing happens with any commodity in short supply; resellers charge more. OcUK are doing it. People on eBay are doing it. The market is operating as expected, being a function of all the variables at play.

As for fines: some of the 'scalpers' might have no job and are trying to make a quick buck to help pay for their family's Christmas; doesn't this fine proposal go against your deep concern for the 'vulnerable' (thick) people buying GPUs they cannot afford?

I have more sympathy for the entrepreneurially creative tbh.

Back
Top Bottom