Where to buy an ice cream cake?

Associate
I need an ice cream cake for my girlfriend's birthday, but I'm struggling to find somewhere that sells them other than Baskin Robbins, who don't ship and don't have a shop near me.
Any suggestions are welcome, I don't mind traveling to pick it up as long as it's not so far that it'll melt before I get home with it :)

Associate
OP
Is this like a cake with icecream in the middle ala arctic rolls or is it a cake entirely made of icecream?

A cake made of ice cream, with frosting.
I know Baskin Robbins do them, never seen them anywhere else in the UK though.
I'm planning on checking Aldi, Lidl and Costco because they often have random things like this that you wouldn't expect, so they're worth a try.
Never seen them in Iceland but maybe worth a shot, thanks.
Making my own has been the suggestion from most people I've asked but I'm a disaster when it comes to that sort of thing. If I can't find one anywhere else I'll try it as a last resort though and hopefully at least get credit for trying!

Associate
OP
It is ice cream, sandwiched between two frozen cakes and then covered in a thin layer of ice cream (to act as an icing), then frozen, then decorated and then eaten :p

It is? The one I had in Canada for my cousin's birthday was two layers of ice cream, with frosting on top, no sponge or actual cake involved at all.
I need to find one without sponge as she doesn't like sponge cake, if the ones sold here all have sponge I guess I'll have to have a go myself.

Soldato
It is? The one I had in Canada for my cousin's birthday was two layers of ice cream, with frosting on top, no sponge or actual cake involved at all.
I need to find one without sponge as she doesn't like sponge cake, if the ones sold here all have sponge I guess I'll have to have a go myself.

I assume there are different kinds, it is cake :D The one I made was like how I described.

Associate
OP
As far as I understand it, frosting is different to icing - sort of richer and creamier. That's what was on the one and only ice cream cake I've had and it was very tasty indeed. Substitute the word "frosting" for "icing" if it helps :p I'm not particularly bothered which it has on it as long as I can find one somewhere!

Associate
OP
I asked her what birthday cake she'd like, she told me ice cream cake, I promised I'd get her one, not realising that they're so hard to find.
It's not exactly life or death as our relationship isn't built on my ability to locate cakes :p but I would very much like to find one somewhere.

Caporegime
I've never made one, but thinking about the logistics of this, I expect this is really quite challenging to make.

Isn't it just a giant tub of ice cream?

Get a bowl, cover it in icing.
Make ice cream,
Pour in ice cream in bowl
Freeze
Make second flavour ice cream
Pour it in, freeze some more
More flavours for more layers.

When serve, take it out and put it upside down.

How to make sure the icing doesn't stick to the bowl however.....that for you to figure out lol perhaps cling film ? Or a cake tin.

Back
Top Bottom