Where to buy cheap bike?

Man of Honour
Other than eBay and bike trader is there anywhere else to look for cheap bikes.
I'm after something along the lines of late 80s xj600 for 300-500.

See them occasionally on eBay, just missed one with a years mot for £410

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Not much on there either, not sure what I'm expecting though, hardly going to be thousands about. Can anyone suggest any other bikes worth looking for, frazers are similar, but seem to hold a higher premium

VoG

VoG

Soldato
ide look for either a mk1 bandit 600, boring as hell but frankly bomb proof motor that can do silly mileages without exploding, or maybe an early ZZR600, there also pretty damn capable, maybe cast a slightly wider net & think about an old 750, say 90's GSX750F ( pre teapot model ), they can be had silly cheap if you look around.

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks, will add them to the serches.

Just won a cheap motorbike jacket on eBay.
I know the best policy for helmets is to try them on, but how much size difference is between the different makes. As I very much doubt I can find a store stocking cheap ones I find on the Internet. Just need anything for the moment, with the idea of upgrading helmet in a few months, haven't even got transport to get to many bike stores.

Associate
You don't appear to be far from one of these stores going by your location http://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/ I got a pair of Alpinestars SMX-4 WP boots from the store near me a few months back and they price matched their ebay stores price (They were priced up wrong on ebay so made a £35 saving and it meant I could try them on too)

Anyway I'd recommend trying lots of different ones on in there, I didnt realise how different they all are until I started trying them on.

Last edited:

VoG

VoG

Soldato
I know the best policy for helmets is to try them on, but how much size difference is between the different makes.

ive got 3 helmets, 2 Arai's & an AGV, there all the same size yet the AGV gives me a headache if i wear it too long, guess which one i bought blind just on the strength of it being the same size that i'm used to wearing.

you really do need to try a lid on before buying, saves any expensive mistakes & inconvenience. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks, will add them to the serches.

Just won a cheap motorbike jacket on eBay.
I know the best policy for helmets is to try them on, but how much size difference is between the different makes. As I very much doubt I can find a store stocking cheap ones I find on the Internet. Just need anything for the moment, with the idea of upgrading helmet in a few months, haven't even got transport to get to many bike stores.

Fowlers have got plenty of cheap ones at the moment. Maybe try Hein Gericke too on Stokes Croft (ask for a discount there, I got 10% off when I bought my boots)

Do you happen to know what size you are? I've got 2 scratched but usable helmets you're welcome to have (think they're 54cm or something, I got them given when I bought my old sv650, the guy was giving up biking so gave me his stuff, too small for me though). They're not great but might do for a few months till you get a new one.

Man of Honour
OP
scaled.php

So glad I went in, even within the box range, I went from L fitting to XXL being to small and not even fit on my head. Let alone across different manufactures.
Probably could have found it cheaper on line, but £45 Box Bx5 matt black.

Certainly not at the top of my list of things to get, but does anyone know any good bike boots, but ankle high and acceptable for wearing out and about.

Last edited:
Tea Drinker
Don
R.e. bikes, if you wait till the bad weather sets in then you'll get a bargain, I've always bought from Ebay, at least there's some type of reputation system and if you pay by paypal buyer protection, also you get loads of pics and info.

Man of Honour
OP
Is there anything to look out for/specific to ask on a 1988 xj600.
Also any idea how much a 2nd hand fuel tank would be, as it has a leak where the fairing meets the tank.

No one bid on it on eBay and it ended, I'm now in talks with him. Trouble is need to decide sharpish due to train ticket prices.
Got MOT till may

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/yamaha-xj600-/290605008730#ht_500wt_922

Last edited:

VoG

VoG

Soldato
XJ600's where reasonably robust ( or as robust as a 600 can be ) they didn't exactly attract thrashers & hooligans, just make sure there are no nasty knocks or bangs, any top end rattles, no oily deposits in the pipes.

if there's a bit of noise from the right of the engine pull the clutch in, see if that cures it, clutch bearings can get a bit rumbly on XJ's, tis no biggy, even XJR1300's do it, tis a family trait if you like.

Make sure it starts ok, changes gear ok, just use a bit of common sense, the bikes cheap enough to not loose out too much if you drop a clanger. ;)

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks,
Just asked him to confirm no rattles, clangs odd noise, oil leaks or other damage, problems issues and put in a sneaky offer.

See what he says.

Man of Honour
OP
Well he re-listed it, I have no idea why. That's £9 just to list it and another £30 on top for fees assuming paying in cash and not paypal. And I offer 275, which is only £25 under what he will get anyway. Didn't even try to batter. But oh well. Now following an xj900 with no leaky fuel tank with no bids, so will find out early tomorrow. Hopefully no one else will bid.

Back
Top Bottom