Where to buy first used bike?

Associate
Hey guys

I was thinking of getting the Yamaha MT 125 for my first bike

I went looking on GumTree, eBay and Autotrader. I’m hoping to get a (red) one in the 2-2500 range but I’m having trouble finding non Cat N bikes!

Where else should I look? I live in the north and find it difficult to locate these bikes.

Any advice? Is that a good first bike, it has ABS and looks the part

Soldato
Hey guys

I was thinking of getting the Yamaha MT 125 for my first bike

I went looking on GumTree, eBay and Autotrader. I’m hoping to get a (red) one in the 2-2500 range but I’m having trouble finding non Cat N bikes!

Where else should I look? I live in the north and find it difficult to locate these bikes.

Any advice? Is that a good first bike, it has ABS and looks the part

Not too clued up on 125s, so I wouldn't know if that's a good price to pay for an MT 125; personally I'd have my reservations about buying off gumtree or ebay - I'd hazard a guess that most of the results there, will have been thrashed/treated badly/nicked! Just my opinion though, and not based off experience or anything.

Buying from a dealership might be a better option, as you ought to be getting something better, and should get the backup of some form of warranty - you'll also get the protection from the Sale of Good act and whatnot. You'll probably have to stump up a bit more money, but it'll give you piece of mind.

As for the MT being a good first bike - well, it doesn't look as **** as most 125s, so that's a good start :D It will give you a good idea of what a proper bike feels like, albeit a much lighter version, which **** brakes and suspension (compared to a 'big bike'). Personally, I went from no experience to DAS and a 636 ninja - so gave the whole 'cut your teeth' on a 125 a miss - not sure on your age, but if you can, then maybe look at the options of going for a bigger cc license; as something like a restricted SV650 will probably blow the modern 125s out of the water in most aspects.

Whatever you do though, have fun, and keep at it :)

Soldato
I must admit I'm not 100% sure I'd buy a motorcycle on eBay either, maybe autotrader private, but as above probably just go to a dealer.

It really depends if I were buying a project bike I might.

I get that your excited about your first 125 and whilst they do hold their value I personally would not be looking to spend that much, you can get an older Japanese 125 for much less money. Something like an old honda CG 125, almost bullet proof. You'll lose out on ABS though, I dunno, maybe riding without on a 125 would do good for your skills but... To be honest I think ABS is a great thing to have (says the guy who doesn't have ABS on his bike!).

Associate
OP
Not too clued up on 125s, so I wouldn't know if that's a good price to pay for an MT 125; personally I'd have my reservations about buying off gumtree or ebay - I'd hazard a guess that most of the results there, will have been thrashed/treated badly/nicked! Just my opinion though, and not based off experience or anything.

Buying from a dealership might be a better option, as you ought to be getting something better, and should get the backup of some form of warranty - you'll also get the protection from the Sale of Good act and whatnot. You'll probably have to stump up a bit more money, but it'll give you piece of mind.

As for the MT being a good first bike - well, it doesn't look as **** as most 125s, so that's a good start :D It will give you a good idea of what a proper bike feels like, albeit a much lighter version, which **** brakes and suspension (compared to a 'big bike'). Personally, I went from no experience to DAS and a 636 ninja - so gave the whole 'cut your teeth' on a 125 a miss - not sure on your age, but if you can, then maybe look at the options of going for a bigger cc license; as something like a restricted SV650 will probably blow the modern 125s out of the water in most aspects.

Whatever you do though, have fun, and keep at it :)

Cheers for the reply.

I'm 21 and not too clued up on how the system works... it says I have to be 24 for the DAS scheme? Do you know who I can talk to for some clear info, as I'm slightly confused by the gov.uk text.

What if the ebay / gumtree folk are dealerships?

I don't mind a solid 125 like the MT 125... I don't really know what difference upgrading the CC will make as the max mph is 85 on this and I don't intend to go over that. I just want a bike thats cheap to fuel, cheap to insure and good to ride for my daily commute which is only a 5 mile round trip.

Associate
OP
I must admit I'm not 100% sure I'd buy a motorcycle on eBay either, maybe autotrader private, but as above probably just go to a dealer.

It really depends if I were buying a project bike I might.

I get that your excited about your first 125 and whilst they do hold their value I personally would not be looking to spend that much, you can get an older Japanese 125 for much less money. Something like an old honda CG 125, almost bullet proof. You'll lose out on ABS though, I dunno, maybe riding without on a 125 would do good for your skills but... To be honest I think ABS is a great thing to have (says the guy who doesn't have ABS on his bike!).

I'm planning on buying a bike once and holding onto it for like 5 years so I think it would be better to pay more now for ABS than regret it later

Soldato
Cheers for the reply.

I'm 21 and not too clued up on how the system works... it says I have to be 24 for the DAS scheme? Do you know who I can talk to for some clear info, as I'm slightly confused by the gov.uk text.

What if the ebay / gumtree folk are dealerships?

I don't mind a solid 125 like the MT 125... I don't really know what difference upgrading the CC will make as the max mph is 85 on this and I don't intend to go over that. I just want a bike thats cheap to fuel, cheap to insure and good to ride for my daily commute which is only a 5 mile round trip.

I believe it means that at 21, you could do the Category A Restricted I think - that means you can ride something restricted to 33 kw of power - most people I know, had an SV650 with a restriction kit fitted. There's a sticky at the top of this forum with all the updated details for licenses - I passed [thankfully] the year before they added all the extra layers to getting on two wheels.

If they are dealerships, then just do your best to gauge them really - I have brought cars in the past from dealerships, that have just turned out to be some backstreet yard - and the car has turned out to be ****. Fair enough, not all will be like that, and ones that look **** might be awesome.

As for 125 vs a 'big bike' - it's honestly a night and day difference! Fair enough, when I did DAS and jumped off a 125 to a Suzuki 500E, I was riding some cheap rotten Chinese 125 - so modern ones like the MT might be much better. But for me, a Big Bike just made the job of riding so much easier, and enjoyable.

I've said it before in posts, but a Big Bike will go better, stop better, turn better and feel better. It's not just about getting up to the speed limit, but how it gets there - I just found the 125 I rode was far too gutless, and influenced massively by the road contours and side winds. By comparison, the big Suzuki I jumped on, was just stable and planted. The difference was so extreme, that I personally could see how a 125 would put someone off of riding! The only thing a 125 might have over a big bike, is I expect they'll do 100+ mpg, versus 50+ from a big bike.

There's two (possibly more) schools of thought when it comes to bikes and their cc - some folk believe you ought to work your way up the ranks - 125/250/400/500/600/1000 and so on. Others, such as myself, believe you can ride whatever you like - provided you respect the bike and accept that you must be careful and have limits.

Riding is a process of constant learning regardless of where you start, you just need to do what you want, and what you believe is best for you :)

Associate
OP
I believe it means that at 21, you could do the Category A Restricted I think - that means you can ride something restricted to 33 kw of power - most people I know, had an SV650 with a restriction kit fitted. There's a sticky at the top of this forum with all the updated details for licenses - I passed [thankfully] the year before they added all the extra layers to getting on two wheels.

If they are dealerships, then just do your best to gauge them really - I have brought cars in the past from dealerships, that have just turned out to be some backstreet yard - and the car has turned out to be ****. Fair enough, not all will be like that, and ones that look **** might be awesome.

As for 125 vs a 'big bike' - it's honestly a night and day difference! Fair enough, when I did DAS and jumped off a 125 to a Suzuki 500E, I was riding some cheap rotten Chinese 125 - so modern ones like the MT might be much better. But for me, a Big Bike just made the job of riding so much easier, and enjoyable.

I've said it before in posts, but a Big Bike will go better, stop better, turn better and feel better. It's not just about getting up to the speed limit, but how it gets there - I just found the 125 I rode was far too gutless, and influenced massively by the road contours and side winds. By comparison, the big Suzuki I jumped on, was just stable and planted. The difference was so extreme, that I personally could see how a 125 would put someone off of riding! The only thing a 125 might have over a big bike, is I expect they'll do 100+ mpg, versus 50+ from a big bike.

There's two (possibly more) schools of thought when it comes to bikes and their cc - some folk believe you ought to work your way up the ranks - 125/250/400/500/600/1000 and so on. Others, such as myself, believe you can ride whatever you like - provided you respect the bike and accept that you must be careful and have limits.

Riding is a process of constant learning regardless of where you start, you just need to do what you want, and what you believe is best for you :)

Thanks man.

I was looking at prices, and the local guys want £130 for a CBT - is this reasonable? The A2 training is £800 all inc and it would cost around £300 to do the full A license.

Do they sound like good prices?

Soldato
Thanks man.

I was looking at prices, and the local guys want £130 for a CBT - is this reasonable? The A2 training is £800 all inc and it would cost around £300 to do the full A license.

Do they sound like good prices?

When I did my course back in 2007 - it was about £800 all in, but the CBT alone was £80 then - so I would expect £130 is probably right for today, though you can shop around for that sort of thing; so just see what else is on offer in your area. If you've never ridden before, you should see if they still operate the 'Get On' campaign - it's a completely free CBT-like session with no certification at the end - designed to give you a taster.

Starting out riding is effin' expensive - you could be looking at easily a grand for training alone, maybe half of that for kit, a couple of grand for a bike and maybe a grand for insurance. But once you've ponied up though initial costs, it's pretty smooth from then on. So yes, those figures look about right to me - but again, have a ring around; I used a smaller independent guy for my course (and test re-take after failing :()

Associate
OP
When I did my course back in 2007 - it was about £800 all in, but the CBT alone was £80 then - so I would expect £130 is probably right for today, though you can shop around for that sort of thing; so just see what else is on offer in your area. If you've never ridden before, you should see if they still operate the 'Get On' campaign - it's a completely free CBT-like session with no certification at the end - designed to give you a taster.

Starting out riding is effin' expensive - you could be looking at easily a grand for training alone, maybe half of that for kit, a couple of grand for a bike and maybe a grand for insurance. But once you've ponied up though initial costs, it's pretty smooth from then on. So yes, those figures look about right to me - but again, have a ring around; I used a smaller independent guy for my course (and test re-take after failing :()

NVM I was shopping around and realised if I do it in a city thats an hour train ride away it comes down to £400 all in (£350 14 hrs and £50CBT) so I'd rather do that lol

I tried going on the get on website but it was being redesigned which is a shame.

Do you know how easy it would be to sell on the bike? If I got a Yamaha MT 125 2015 for £2.5K do you think I could get £1.5K after 2 years or is that being too optimistic?

Man of Honour
Even on an NSL A road you'll notice it, any sort of hill you'll notice it, any head wind you'll notice it.

They're great if you'll literally just be nipping around town/city riding but if you actually want to get out and enjoy "biking" you'll notice their shortfalls quite quickly. The difference in build quality and ease of riding between a 125 and big cc bikes is also massive.

Moving from my ybr to an er6 on my lessons literally felt like getting off a push bike and onto a real bike.

Soldato
Do you know how easy it would be to sell on the bike? If I got a Yamaha MT 125 2015 for £2.5K do you think I could get £1.5K after 2 years or is that being too optimistic?

Hard to say - you could probably look at 2013 bikes to get an idea what they sell for now, then check MCN Reviews for the price new - that'll give a rough and ready idea. But there's a lot of factors with resale value - and the 125 market has a lot of 'cheap Chinese' stuff constantly being launched, getting better and better; they also cater to things younger riders will like - I'm sure 44Teeth reviewed some and one had a USB input for music and built in speakers!

A Yamaha MT on the face is a more premium bike that the Chinese stuff, but will that mean it holds value? Possibly, but you won't truly know, you sadly cannot plan that sort of thing. But a £1,000 drop over two years isn't that bad of an estimate in my opinion - the thing is, that is almost 50% of the bike's value; you could have bought a 500/600cc bike for the 2.5k and would be keeping it for much longer than the 2 years.

Soldato
Moving from my ybr to an er6 on my lessons literally felt like getting off a push bike and onto a real bike.

Quoted for truth. It was honestly this extreme, the difference between a cheap 125 and an older 500cc learner bike.

If you're going to go for the category A license, you will be training on big bikes, after the CBT and possibly a day of full 125cc riding - so you'll get to see the difference between the two. And I would put money on the fact that you will see the benefits of a big bike over a 125; and won't want to ride a 125 [as your own bike] for any length of time.

Soldato
I don't get it? What is the difference with more cc isn't it just engine power? I won't be going on the motorway much so will I notice?

A higher cc bike will give more engine power, generally, but certainly over the 125 - rough figures picked out the air: a big bike on training will probably give you 3-4 times the power of a 125. Both will accelerate better than your average car, the 125 less so - but on the TLGP (traffic light grand prix) vs your average hatch or saloon - a 125 will show its heels initially.

But it's not just about power - big bikes are just better at everything, they make the job of the rider easier; and the less you have to focus on how to ride your bike or how it behaves - the more you can focus on the idiots around you. Riding becomes a matter of muscle memory over the course of your first year, but if you're constantly worrying about getting up a hill, getting hit by side winds or one of the other things 125s aren't great at; then that is precious brain power that could be better spent looking out for the next hazard.

My own subjective view is: big bikes = better brakes, better suspension, better handling, better comfort, better engine response. More importantly - a bigger bike = a better road presence, you are less likely to get hassle on a bigger bike, than on a little skinny 125 - drivers seem to respect them more.

Soldato
That's why I was saying get an older 125 to learn ok, keep it a year, sell it, probably loose a lot less than paying 2.5k for a 125.

You could get a perfectly good one for a grand or less if you look hard enough, after a year of ownership give it a very good clean probably sell it for almost what you paid, if not potentially profit.

The older Japanese ones have little to go wrong the more basic the better.

I know it's difficult because it's your first bike, your excited etc, I get that, but I really wouldn't be wanting to dump 2.5k into a 125, I mean unless your minted or something.

Associate
OP
That's why I was saying get an older 125 to learn ok, keep it a year, sell it, probably loose a lot less than paying 2.5k for a 125.

You could get a perfectly good one for a grand or less if you look hard enough, after a year of ownership give it a very good clean probably sell it for almost what you paid, if not potentially profit.

The older Japanese ones have little to go wrong the more basic the better.

I know it's difficult because it's your first bike, your excited etc, I get that, but I really wouldn't be wanting to dump 2.5k into a 125, I mean unless your minted or something.

I can get a Yamaha MT 125 for 2K (2016) or a Honda CBR125 (2014) for 1.25-1.75k there isn't a huge price difference relative to the age..

What 125cc bikes would you recommend and how old / max miles should I be looking at?

Associate
OP
Damn... I've just realized the total costs for a first bike is a hell of a lot.. at this point I'm thinking about just getting a cheap car lol.

Bike: 2,000
Insurance: 400
CBT: 90
A2 Course: 500

I'm looking at least 3K for my first bike

Soldato
Damn... I've just realized the total costs for a first bike is a hell of a lot.. at this point I'm thinking about just getting a cheap car lol.

Bike: 2,000
Insurance: 400
CBT: 90
A2 Course: 500

I'm looking at least 3K for my first bike

Don't forget the kit! Don't want to scrimp on that - I'd budget at least 120 for a lid, 200 for a textile set, 30-50 for gloves and maybe 100 for boots.

Back
Top Bottom