Where to go from 1st line support/service desk analyst?

Associate
I've been doing a 1st line support/service desk analyst role for a few months now and believe I have learned almost everything I can so far in my position.

I'm trying to see what the next step for me is in my IT career. I know there are tonnes of different paths to take but I'd like some guidance.

So far I've thought of:

Software Development - Learn Java for example while I work in support and apply for entry developer roles - I personally think this could be the most difficult path to take although the career prospects are extremely good

Cloud computing - The organisation I work currently for is migrating everything to the cloud (Office 365) and I find it interesting. I know cloud computing is the future and I feel like this could be a good path to take. I've been looking at qualifications from Microsoft it seems like the progression goes like = MTA > MCSA > MCSE. If I chose this path would those qualifications get me something? or is there something better?

Security - Haven't looked into this too much but I know it'll be more important to companies as time goes on and therefore could be a lucrative career. Any idea's how to get into this?

I don't want to be in a 1st line support position forever, I want to really get a good IT career going.

Cheers!

Caporegime
If you're not sure what route to take I'd say it's worth doing the CCNA and MCSA in server 2016 to get a taste of networking and sysadmin while gaining some respected qualifications.

Soldato
If you're not sure what route to take I'd say it's worth doing the CCNA and MCSA in server 2016 to get a taste of networking and sysadmin while gaining some respected qualifications.

Seconded.

Then spend 5 years in a job doing the same boring **** with less budget than required whilst contemplating either topping yourself of dropping everything and travelling the world on the peanuts you've saved up.

But hopefully you'll get into the groove and enjoy it.

Caporegime
What sort of support do you do? Do you work closely with developers? How involved do you get with regards to diagnosing issues, writing specs etc..? Could you get involved a bit with testing fixes in addition to your day to day role etc?

Associate
OP

That could be possible. I've been advised that the MCSA in Windows 10 is another good certification which could help me get a 2nd line job. What do you think?

Seconded.

Then spend 5 years in a job doing the same boring **** with less budget than required whilst contemplating either topping yourself of dropping everything and travelling the world on the peanuts you've saved up.

But hopefully you'll get into the groove and enjoy it.

Haha, hopefully I do..

What sort of support do you do? Do you work closely with developers? How involved do you get with regards to diagnosing issues, writing specs etc..? Could you get involved a bit with testing fixes in addition to your day to day role etc?

I do not work with developers (as in software?). I do however work kind of close to the 2nd line team (they sit next to 1st line). So frequently ask them how they fix certain things so I can increase my technical knowledge.

I do hardware/software rollouts and deal with the majority of problems (I'd say 75% I fix myself). I fix most technical issues unless they're related to infrastructure/sys admin/sys dev or where I simply don't have the permissions to do it. a lot of AD, Office 365 (mainly SharePoint/OneDrive/Admin Centre), WiFi/network, VPN issues, fixing printers in person and via the server admin centre, adding network drives/restoring files & folders.

I guess I do 1st line with a bit of 2nd line? it depends on what your definition is of the two.

I would say from observing what 2nd line do that I am definitely capable of doing it and if I had a few weeks of sitting next to them I could learn the majority of what they do. This is not possible however as 1st line is extremely busy.

Caporegime
That could be possible. I've been advised that the MCSA in Windows 10 is another good certification which could help me get a 2nd line job. What do you think?

It's a good qualification but server > desktop as far as employer desirability is concerned, it's a skillset that is not as ubiquitous, therefore more valuble and it's assumed that if you can support server you can handle desktop no problem.

Caporegime
I do not work with developers (as in software?).
[...]
I guess I do 1st line with a bit of 2nd line? it depends on what your definition is of the two.

It was just because you mentioned possibly moving into development - one way would be if you worked more closely with them and/or took on some more responsibility. I didn't mean in terms of 1st line or 2nd line (in my mind that just signifies whether you're the first point of contact for customers or things get escalated to you) but rather what you actually do, what you support. It seems from your reply to be third party software and that you've got some operations/admin related tasks too.

Perhaps if you don't work closely with developers then another approach to consider there would be to simply try a few projects by yourself and/or to get involved with an open source project.(assuming this is the path you decide to go down)

Back
Top Bottom