Where to go from here...

Soldato
Greetings all.

Found my self in a bit of a predicament. Basically I've be been offered a job with a rival company, giving me a substantial pay rise and time off (offshore rotation). However, they want me to start in 2 weeks and am yet to see a contract, they are waiting for my medical report before issuing it, in turn I'm waiting for my medical certs to arrive any day now.

I don't want to put my notice in without having a contract, at the same time I need to put my notice in ASAP.

Been with my current employer for 10 years and will have at least 4 weeks notice to serve.

So basically what I'm asking is, what's the easiest way around working my full notice period? I'd ideally like to keep everyone involved happy but as the days go by that's looking less likely.

Soldato
Tell them the start date is contingent on you seeing the contract in time as you have the 4 week notice period and (I assume) don't have 4 weeks' holiday accrued. 4 weeks is nothing, my notice period is 13 weeks.

If a medical report is a condition of the offer then I don't see why the onus is on you to provide the information. They should be paying for a medical and receiving the results direct, otherwise what's to stop you being "selective" with what you supply them ?

Soldato
OP
Forgot about this thread, whoops!

Potential new employer has agreed to let me serve my notice before moving over and will give me my contract today!

On another note my current employer got wind I was on the move and are now being very salty, my manager even suggested he could sack me for gross misconduct purely for engaging in employment talk with a rival company :o

Like I needed any more reasons to leave.

Soldato

Potential new employer has agreed to let me serve my notice before moving over and will give me my contract today!

On another note my current employer got wind I was on the move and are now being very salty, my manager even suggested he could sack me for gross misconduct purely for engaging in employment talk with a rival company :o

Sounds like you made the right decision leaving!

Soldato

Tell him he is more than welcome to sack you, as you'll start at the new employer early and then clean him out at an employment tribunal. The worst they can do is put you on garden leave, which would actually be beneficial anyway.

Back
Top Bottom