Where To Move House To In The UK?

Caporegime
Find a nice town with a ghetto or community that will help suit your mum too.

You won't be there for ever, but she might be for the rest of her days, so think of her.

I personally wouldn't leave greater London. You will be going to uni too you say ? So really
think for your mum.

Soldato
When we were based in the UK were moved from Hertfordshire to Bedford. Personally I loved the town ( good schools, quiet and a decent shopping complex with MK just up the road). It also sits on both the A1 and M1 so it was convenient for a commute.

I also had a great uncongested virgin package at my postcode.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
St Ives isn't too far from Cambridge and has reasonable prices. Cambridge itself is absolutely bonkers. The housing market needs killed with fire.

Soldato
You can get a fair size house for 250k in Derby. Look east of Derby city centre for properties. Chaddesden oakwood Spondon etc. Thete is Darley Abbey. Littleover all close to city. Duffield is nice too.

Soldato
Try Nottingham? Great University and lots of attractions in the city. Ever since they refurbished the main square it normally has something interesting going off at most times of year. We've had Ice rinks, beaches, german markets, a rip off of the London Eye, all sorts.

There are a few nice areas just outside of town that 250k would get you plenty of house for.

Definitely Nottingham. Get a lovely house for that much.

Somewhere like Papplewick is within budget.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/new-homes-for-sale/property-44915265.html

Also consider the Arnold area. At the top end, some real nice property and you've got lots of shops / civilisation ten minutes away. Schools are highly rated by Ofsted so keeps the property prices always rising.

Moving up here from Reading was the best thing we ever did. Life can be as hectic or quiet as we choose and you are so far away from the scurge across the other side of the city, nobody will bother you.

Love a trip up to Sherwood Pines for some forest air, or a wonder around Colwick Park lakes. It's so spaced out, never feels cramped anywhere I go.

Derby also has some good spots, nice country type living in the burbs. Depends what you need really.

Last edited:
Associate
Well I'm of the generation where I will probably never be able to afford a house.

But if I was looking the first thing I would check is if I can get Virgin Media 200mb internet, if not I would rule that area out.

Would easily cut my search areas to a small section of the UK

Man of Honour
Well I'm of the generation where I will probably never be able to afford a house.

But if I was looking the first thing I would check is if I can get Virgin Media 200mb internet, if not I would rule that area out.

Would easily cut my search areas to a small section of the UK

Well, I suppose that frees up a lot of good homes for the rest of us :p

An odd requirement IMO but each to their own! I don't think I'd even think about it... as long as its not ASDL...

Associate
Well, I suppose that frees up a lot of good homes for the rest of us :p

An odd requirement IMO but each to their own! I don't think I'd even think about it... as long as its not ASDL...

I'm on ADSL now... 6mb in a house share of 5 people... it's diabolical.

But I live on internet, don't use TV and I would want the "gaming" version with double upload speed, which only Virgin offer =P

Soldato
I am in Norwich. There is a massive Eastern European community here, especially Polish. Loads of Eastern European foods and supermarkets too. So I think your mum wouldn't have a problem.

The thing about Norwich is that is pleasant, and easy, but that it. It also adds 2 hours onto every round trip you make. I'd argue it's is nicer than Cambridge though, and definitely warmer. Also has a slightly larger population a little less traffic chaos.

Associate
I'm biased as I've lived in Cardiff all my life. I wouldn't recommend buying in Cardiff, but would the outskirts (nicer areas of Caerphilly and pontyclun / Llantrisant).

Take a day trip to Cardiff, it has a lot to offer!

Back
Top Bottom