Where To Move House To In The UK?

Soldato
Well, I suppose that frees up a lot of good homes for the rest of us :p

An odd requirement IMO but each to their own! I don't think I'd even think about it... as long as its not ASDL...

My missus had the same view but on the list of 'must haves' was a great fibre connection.....albeit lower than schooling, proximity to motorways for the commute and local amenities.

Soldato
You would get a nice house in Wigan or Skelmersdale. :D

Believe or not the is some nice places in Liverpool that would get you a nice 4 bed detached and we have loads of universities and its very touristy.

Joking aside up north gets you the most bang for your buck for bricks a mortar.

Down south is bloody ridiculous.

Man of Honour
[..]
Personally I wanna live somewhere which is touristy and has a university.[..]

Stoke-on-Trent!

It came 3rd in a competition for the worst place to live in the UK, but it is quite touristy and it does have a university :) You could buy 3 semi-detached 3 bedroom houses for your budget. Maybe 4 at a push. Or 1 and a lifetime of therapy to cope with living in Stoke-on-Trent :)

Soldato
I'm biased as I've lived in Cardiff all my life. I wouldn't recommend buying in Cardiff, but would the outskirts (nicer areas of Caerphilly and pontyclun / Llantrisant).

Take a day trip to Cardiff, it has a lot to offer!

That'll be my choice as well should I ever move back to the UK.

Had a look at the job market in Cornwall and it's still on life support it would seem.

Soldato
Swindon has become very pricey and the town centre is more run down that some places up the Welsh Valleys. We bought our house for ~£160k back in 2006, valued now at around £250k.

It does depend on what you're looking for, prior to moving back to Swindon we were living in South wales due to working in Cardiff. Cardiff itself and immediate environs was way too expensive but Bridgend was affordable and only a 25 minute commute by car or train, with coast and hills nearby for leisure.

In England, Northampton wasn't bad, spent some of my youth there but probably pricey being on the outer end of the Euston commuter run. Perhaps somewhere like Rugby or Market Harborough?

Soldato
Glasgow, cheap, nice areas and good (!) ancient university

I just bought this shed in Warwick outskirts for around that figure (it needs like 15k+ of work too...) but I imagine there's some smaller more affordable places if you'd prefer. Access to Birmingham unis and Warwick uni (which isn't in Warwick lul)
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18757204

What do you do for work OP?

Last edited:
Soldato
Well I'm of the generation where I will probably never be able to afford a house.

But if I was looking the first thing I would check is if I can get Virgin Media 200mb internet, if not I would rule that area out.

Would easily cut my search areas to a small section of the UK

When I was looking to buy a few years ago, fast internet was a big requirement. When I told people, every was like :confused: Now we are in a generation where everyone is watching stuff on demand compared to normal TV, having fast internet is now on peoples list when buying a house.

Associate
Get yourself up to OCUK land where 250k will get you a nice 4 bed new build and some change :D

Lots to do, shopping, cinemas, great pubs and restaurants in and around stoke, alton towers, close to manc / brum / liverpool and also 20 minutes away from beautiful countryside.

Soldato
Norwich - Mum doesn't like cos it's too English (she's Eastern Euro). Going again next week.

I'm sorry but this is a joke right?

So your mother moved to the England to live, but she doesn't want to live somewhere considered to be "English in style".

Why doesn't she move back to her native country that isn't English, if she dislikes the English so much?

Soldato
Derby is nice. Right by the Peaks as well. What are prices like round Sheffield-way?

More expensive than you'd probably expect if you want to live in Sheffield itself, if you wanted to move to the surrounding areas such as Rotherham/Doncaster/Barnsley then you can save a vast amount of money.

Soldato
Could get a nice place in Manchester. Chorlton, maybe not didsbury but south Manchester is nice. Young, professional population, the city is very en vogue right now. And three universities just in case.

Soldato
I would agree with several other posters in the thread and suggest Nottingham. There are some areas to avoid but there are some really nice areas too.

- lots of things to do
- lots of good places to eat and drink
- two universities
- good transport links, both within the city area and rail/road and air to beyond that

Personally I grew up in Hampshire, went to university in Cardiff but now live here and enjoy it more.

Soldato
When I was looking to buy a few years ago, fast internet was a big requirement. When I told people, every was like :confused: Now we are in a generation where everyone is watching stuff on demand compared to normal TV, having fast internet is now on peoples list when buying a house.

Even if you're one of those families who sit all day in separate rooms watching TV then 200mbps is overkill at the moment, you'd only need about 20mbps for 4 different people watching HD streams at the same time.

With technology like HEVC(H.265) coming down the line even less bandwidth will be needed for streaming the same quality as well.

Last edited:
Associate
Brougton, Flintshire area.

It is only about 15 mins from Chester, which is really nice Historic and picturesque City. Always something going on there.

Broughton area is actually in Wales, so Council tax is lower. It is on the doorstep to some amazing scenery in North Wales (and is also close to Rhyl should you wish to see what all the OCUK fuss is about :) ) It also has its own medium size retail park and also close to Cheshire Oaks at Ellesmere Port.

A55 is close by, links to the M53 and M56 giving easy access to Liverpool and Manchester.

Chester has good railway links to Liverpool, Manchester, Holyhead (for Ireland) and London via Crewe.

House prices are a little lower than Chester but rising.

Also has the benefit in that quite a few large companies, such as Toyota (at Deeside), Vauxhall (at Ellesmere Port), British Aerospace (at Broughton) and Jaguar (at Halewood) are not too far away as regards to jobs. Lot of companies also nearby that supply parts to these companies.

You also say that your Mum is Eastern European? Chester/Deeside/Wrexham area do have quite a few Eastern European nationals in the area, probably drawn by the Factories there. Also Wrexham itself has a large 2nd and 3rd Generation Polish community, since many members of the Free Polish Army settled here after WWII.

Back
Top Bottom