1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where To Move House To In The UK?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SquirrelMadness, 3 Dec 2016.

1. EdwardTeach

Mobster

Surely Edinburgh will be out of his price range?

2. Pawnless Endgame

Capodecina

The OP is looking for some young wimmin, and Bristol is a great party capital for that. Lots of clubs in town and dance venues in/out of town, of which one is on a boat moored on the seafront :D Bath is for the old middle-aged farts like us two :p

3. Nitefly

Man of Honour

"I'm on the party boat".

My 55 year old dad checking in by text from Thekla at 4am on a Saturday morning.

Legend.

4. Slamhamster

Associate

Last edited: 4 Dec 2016
  5. Bonjour

Sgarrista

Meet you all in Hull, lads. :)

6. Bego2K

Gangster

Could get a lot of house with that kinda money

7. Rifte

Mobster

This is the reality. You go to certain areas of London (Wembley - Ealing Road) and its like little India.

You go to certain areas of Luton (Bury Park) and its like taking a walk in Pakistan.

I am sure if you go to certain areas of the Costa Del Sol, aside from the weather you would think you are in the UK.

When people jump ship and move country they usually try to mitigate the 'change' element by moving close to people that they can immediately relate to.

This cant be underestimated. Aside from the UK I have homes in Mumbai and Ahmedabad, and Ahmedabad is one city where I sometimes feel that I am the only white guy for miles and miles. I also tend to miss home more when I am living there.

When I had my houses gutted and refurbished in both cities the brief that I gave the designer was that when I closed my blinds/curtains I didnt want to feel that I was in India in respect of design and interior architecture. The team achieved this.

Should I ****** off back to the UK? No I enjoy the country for most of what it has, but it doesnt stop me missing home and I want to protect that as much as I can. Its crazy but I also miss the British accent when I am over here, so most of the time I tend to stream British radio channels to my car/home/phone. The stuff I thought I would never miss.

Last edited: 5 Dec 2016
  8. riddler

Wise Guy

I can also put a vote on the North East, I recently moved here from Liverpool. Great area.

9. Tone1979

Wise Guy

I agree, I can totally understand someone who is of the older generation wanting to have people from her country around her. My partner is Polish and is the opposite, she wants to be around English people as much as possible.

It's a generation thing and there is nothing wrong with it.

10. wordy

Soldato

Poland?

11. Lashout_UK

Capodecina

Stamford.

12. RoboCod

Capodecina

Avoid Derby. I'm from there, it's an industrial dump. Instead, look more Notts area. The city of Nottingham is much better and the outlying villages/towns are generally nice and cheap for housing. Plus anywhere in the Midlands and you're always near the main arteries up and down the country if you want to go on a trip anywhere.

Our 3 bed detached with garage cost £125k

13. RoboCod

Capodecina

Is a great shout. Lovely town.

14. AndrewNR

Mobster

I live about 10 miles from Norwich.

It has a decent city centre, reasonable travel links to London etc.

It has the UEA university so it's nightlife is decent too (Riverside, also where Norwich football ground is).

I think you'd struggle with your budget though. Might get a semi-detached within budget.

15. hardkore

Mobster

Another Norfolker here, Norwich is nice but not too sure on house prices, cant be cheap?

I live about 30 miles away near sandringham, I've always liked it.

If shes Eastern Euro she'll love Wisbech.... :rolleyes::D

16. Puzzled

Sgarrista

Loughborough always seems full of students whenever I drive through, not that far from Nottingham but may be cheaper (nice countryside that way).

I would have thought your main consideration would be areas with other friends / family for your mum? You can live in the nicest area in the world but if you're lonely it will still feel awful.

17. Firestar_3x

Caporegime

Rather not, boiling my head would be a more pleasurable experience.

18. redrabbit29

Gangster

I'd personally never leave Reading as it's my home but I do understand the frustrating with housing.

If I was to ever move I would potentially look at Nottingham as I've been there quite a few times and really like it. I wouldn't want to go too much further North as I'd end up with a nose bleed ;)

I've heard that Bristol is a fantastic place to live although not sure about house prices there.

Finally I've also heard that Leeds is a brilliant place to live. Lots going on, great night life. I know there are bad areas but I think that can be said about anywhere.

19. Schlong&Stable

Mobster

Durham area might fit the bill.

20. SquirrelMadness

Hitman

I was watching videos on Youtube of different UK locations yesterday and Derby was a joke.

My mum wanted to move there because she hears lots of celebs live there... and that it has the "best" community AKA foreign people that she can relate to. We went there twice and I didn't like either time.

I found out there is a guy there that walks backwards everywhere! He is like a celebrity now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrggYoXfL04

After watching a few vids I have to say Bath looked the best.