• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

which 1080ti for putting under water?

Associate
Does it matter which one I go for? From what I understand, all the cards are the same except for their cooling abilities. As I'll be putting it under water (my first H20 build!), I was thinking of just getting a reference design 1080ti.

Associate
Does it matter which one I go for? From what I understand, all the cards are the same except for their cooling abilities. As I'll be putting it under water (my first H20 build!), I was thinking of just getting a reference design 1080ti.

Yep, so whatever you can get cheapest, unless you want to maintain your warranty in which case I think evga and gigabyte are most lenient.

Soldato

Depends the costs.
You need to calculate how much it will cost you to get the cheapest 1080ti + waterclock + backplate and compare it's price against a pre-watercooled card like the Aorus Waterforce (~835) or the MSI Seahawk
(that one goes around £800 https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...dr5x-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-33n-ms.html) or the EVGA Hydro Copper (~822)
Or if something like the Inno iChill Black with the AIO might be a better option.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/inno...raphics-card-c108tb-1sdn-q6mnx-gx-06u-in.html

(review here
http://www.bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/graphics/inno3d-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-ichill-black-review/1/ )

Also you need to consider warranty options, and if the manufacturer allows watercooling without losing the warranty like Gigabyte & EVGA.

Associate
Always gone evga on water builds. Although have found cards like the classifieds clock slightly higher if you after ultimate performance. But its still a lotto. Reference is easier to find a block and you often find the blocks easier to sell on later.

Soldato
Why would you water cool Pascal other than to lower the noise. I thought the clocks are hard limited by the TDP.

The voltage is hard limited, the clocks are not so you can avoid throttling and squeeze more out of it whilst doing so at very low temps under load. My 1080s will run at 2,138mhz and +400mhz memory at full load they are still only 38c in SLI.

I've seen the seahawks for as low as £680 which is a good buy... it looks like it's £949 here again which is way off.

Soldato
The voltage is hard limited, the clocks are not so you can avoid throttling and squeeze more out of it whilst doing so at very low temps under load. My 1080s will run at 2,138mhz and +400mhz memory at full load they are still only 38c in SLI.

I've seen the seahawks for as low as £680 which is a good buy... it looks like it's £949 here again which is way off.

A 1080ti is a lot to start with add the price of a water block on top and it's really expensive. You seem to hit the TDP wall with air cooling on Pascal, so unless the card are really loud I don't see any point.

Soldato
A 1080ti is a lot to start with add the price of a water block on top and it's really expensive. You seem to hit the TDP wall with air cooling on Pascal, so unless the card are really loud I don't see any point.

Seahawk EK X comes pre-blocked for that price. For the price elsewhere it's not nearly as bad...

Certainly on my 1080s I can push them further with water to the limit without any throttling due to minimal temperatures. I don't think many will be running consistently at over 2,100mhz with memory OC on air without some thermal throttling.

Soldato
Seahawk EK X comes pre-blocked for that price. For the price elsewhere it's not nearly as bad...

Certainly on my 1080s I can push them further with water to the limit without any throttling due to minimal temperatures. I don't think many will be running consistently at over 2,100mhz with memory OC on air without some thermal throttling.

£680 is not bad? It's horrendous. Nvidia showed a reference 1080 at 2250Mhz.

Back
Top Bottom