Which 2.5" drives are single platter?

Soldato
There are now 640GB drives from Samsung (M7) and WD (Blue) that use 320GB platters but that doesn't mean the older/smaller ones have larger platters now.
I don't think there are any 250GB disks that are confirmed as using a single platter and definitely no 320GB ones yet.

From you're other thread you mention noise and power, the extra platter makes very little difference to this. Laptop drives are already very quiet and power difference would be completely negligible.

Soldato
OP
Thanks, looks like I'm worrying over nothing... I've looked at the WD blue 500gb and it's dual platter and seems to get a good write up on SPCR.

Do you know how do the samsung drives compare in terms of noise? I have a few Samsung desktop drives and they are very quiet, I didn't know that they made laptop drives too...

Soldato
No I don't but you might find something over at SPCR. I don't think you could really get any quieter though, my Black is very quiet and my 320GB Blue is unnoticeable.

Still, I'd love to see the Blue and M7 compared.

Soldato
Laptop usually but right this moment both are in external docks so noise/vibration is quite noticeable. The only time you can really hear them in something is when the heads are parked or they spin up/down.

Soldato
I've a WD black in my CarPC and that's really quiet so I would assume the Blue would be the same but a little slower and use a little less power.

I have got it on av mounts though so that might be making it a bit quieter.

My WD Scorpio Black (7200rpm) is very quick, quiet and cooler, with not power consumption difference, certainly compared to my old Fujitsu 5400rpm drive. Don't worry too much about platters, but go for disk speed.

Back
Top Bottom