Which 24" would you advise? S-PVA or S-IPS?

Associate
Trying to select the best 24" available at the moment. My shortlist is as follows:

Dell 2407WFP A04
Dell 2408WFP
Hazro HZ24W

I'm not really in the market for TN film, I'm after a superior panel, mainly becuase of the viewing angles. A lot of gaming and movie watching will be done on the monitor. Also some photography work, hence after decent colour reproduction.

What do you think!? :confused:

Caporegime
benqfp241w, ive had 1 for a few months now, no noticable ghosting in games (cod4@1920x1200 looks amazing) as for films,blu ray in full 1080p definitioin, its great, good colour, contrast, good range of inputs/connections, its definitely the best 24 on the market:)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Gaming and photo editing are the key criteria!

It has to compete with my 2007WFP as that's a benchmark monitor in my books and I don't feel the current 24" Dells can beat it at all judging by the user reviews!

Soldato
Neither 2407WFP-HC or 2408WFP are ideal for gaming due to ghosting and input lag problems respectively. As a gamer and someone who tends to notice problems like these I personally wouldn't buy those screens. I would be a little reluctant to buy (any) PVA too due to the accute viewing angle issue and reported black crush, and I'm informed that MVA have roughly the same weaknesses. IPS has the best viewing angles and is the most all round useable tech but IPS contrast ratio is still stuck on 700:1 so you don't get a good black depth, especially for gaming at night.

I think the Benq or Hazro though if I had to pick one.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for your replies guys. From what everyone has been saying on forums it's hard to choose as we all have our preferences.

I currently have a Sammy 226BW and it's a good panel for gaming but it seems to be missing something when it comes to image quality.

I used have the NEC LCD20WGX2, that was a IPS panel and it's been the best image quality I've seen on a LCD. Mine had backlight bleed probs which were common when they first came out so I ended up changing it for something a little bigger.

I think I might go for the Hazro. LCD's are about compromises and the only to cons of the Hazro are: no HDCP and average black depths.

The HDCP issue can be resolved with AnyDVD HD, so it's only the blacks. Need to check what my current sammy is like on paper to gauge it.

Caporegime
Most people have light coloured wallpaper, so I don't see what people have against the silver. It stands out less against your average creamy wallpaper than black does.

That BenQ looks the business, but I'm waiting for blu-ray to become cheap and a 24" like that to fall down to more like £200. It's just too expensive being an early adopter.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Ok so I have a few choices for the next week or 2 to decide upon:

XBOX 360 + GTAIV for end of April

or

BenQ FP241W

or

Canon 40D body upgrade for my camera

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
LOL, thanks I guess but I could always do with a few more hundred pixels to play with in Photoshop and be able to watch 1080p with and sap sentry guns with!!!

If only we could have everything we wanted in this life in one go :p

Back
Top Bottom