which 4k Monitor for under 400

Associate
Looking for some advice folks would like to get a new 4k monitor for roughly 400 if not under would prefer something around 28 inches powering the monitor I have a RTX 2070 super and an r7 3700x. I dont really play fps that much so really high refresh rates arent massively important for me and I'm quite happy with 60hz if i can get faster i'll take it but thats not massive factor for me I've been looking at these monitors what are your opinion or are there better monitors in this price range

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...g-widescreen-led-monitor-black-mo-09j-as.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sams...-dot-gaming-widescreen-monitor-mo-23e-sa.html

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...g-widescreen-led-monitor-black-mo-071-as.html

Soldato
You're going to struggle at 4K with a 2070S, although depends what kind of games you want to play. Is there a reason you're not opting for 1440p? You'd get a better monitor and a better overall gaming experience. High refresh isn't just for FPS, it's overall just a nicer experience. 4K is great for productivity, but at the level of monitor you're looking at, you are compromising.

Associate
OP
didnt realise 4k would be a strain on the 2070s so badly i mainly play world of warship a few driving games, rts and occassionally some shooters but thats few and far between. Looking at 1440p for the high refresh you basically paying the same amount for a 4k 60hz what 1440p monitor would you say offers a good experience i see i could just about afford a ips or va panel instead of tn if i drop down to 1440p

Soldato
You're going to struggle at 4K with a 2070S, although depends what kind of games you want to play. Is there a reason you're not opting for 1440p? You'd get a better monitor and a better overall gaming experience. High refresh isn't just for FPS, it's overall just a nicer experience. 4K is great for productivity, but at the level of monitor you're looking at, you are compromising.
Not really 2070S here and not struggling at all :confused:

Have both a BenQ 4K and an LG C9 that have Greesync ranges of 40-60 which is easy to adhere to. No need for a new card until HDMI 2.1 overs are released.

Soldato
didnt realise 4k would be a strain on the 2070s so badly i mainly play world of warship a few driving games, rts and occassionally some shooters but thats few and far between. Looking at 1440p for the high refresh you basically paying the same amount for a 4k 60hz what 1440p monitor would you say offers a good experience i see i could just about afford a ips or va panel instead of tn if i drop down to 1440p

It's not a 'strain' so much... you can do it, but any game is going to be a smoother and more enjoyable experience with higher FPS... albeit at the sacrifice of some graphical fidelity, although at the same time you can ramp up the detail. At the end of the day, you just have to consider what your priority is. There is nothing special about a cheap 4K TN monitor though... nothing at all. I'm not clear why you want 4K exactly, but if there's a good reason for it, sure... you won't have a stuttering mess to deal with, but 1440p would be far smoother experience. If you are set on 4K, I'd look to 32" and VA over TN... still has its shortcomings, but would be better overall. The BenQ EW3270U is worth looking at, and also the Philips 328E1CA.

Not really 2070S here and not struggling at all :confused:

Have both a BenQ 4K and an LG C9 that have Greesync ranges of 40-60 which is easy to adhere to. No need for a new card until HDMI 2.1 overs are released.

Entirely depends what games are played. AAA titles will def require some settings to be tweaked. The question is why actually go for 4K unless you need to... 1440p is the sweet spot with that GPU, and with sharpening now you can get a very good result, not far off 4K... and far higher FPS in the bargain. OLED is a different ball game though of course.

Soldato
I dont really play fps that much

Which games do you play? I think you'll have a lovely experience in 4K in most games as long as you drop things like Hairworks and RTX. Do get a monitor with GSync or Freesync. I've been playing at 4K for many years, starting on a GTX 780 Ti.

Associate
OP
I actually use my living room 4k tv to play and i do that on a 3770k and gtx 780 thats mainly rocket league though and that gets over 60 fps like i said i mainly spend my free time playing world of warships rocket league, a lot of racing games, sometimes i play the division 2 a little overwatch call of duty etc but not very often. Have seen a 27inch 1440p that seems good the ASUS MG278Q which is just within my budget.

Soldato
For 1440P and your budget you'll be hard pressed to beat the Pixio PX7 Prime.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/pixio/px7-prime

Same panel as the more expensive Gigabyte Aorus AD27QD from what I understand.

I genuinely believe that you'll have a better experience with a 2070S using a monitor like the one I've linked over a 4K option of a similar price.

The Asus MG278Q you're considering has a TN panel, I wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole for £300 + personally.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
So finally decided on the pixio px7 it should be with me monday. Think what swayed it for me was ips, currently have a 24inch ips as my main monitor but an older tn as a secondary and when i turned that on it starkly reminded me of the difference in quality between tn and ips, I'm sure tn has improved by in recent years but IPS has probably moved on also.

Soldato
So finally decided on the pixio px7 it should be with me monday. Think what swayed it for me was ips, currently have a 24inch ips as my main monitor but an older tn as a secondary and when i turned that on it starkly reminded me of the difference in quality between tn and ips, I'm sure tn has improved by in recent years but IPS has probably moved on also.

I'm sure you'll love the new monitor, the PX7 is a fantastic bit of kit.

Associate
OP
so got it all up and running and have to say WOW what a difference to my old asus 21.5inch monitor i never realised that jumping from 1080p to 1440p would be such a big difference obviously the 27inch helps compared to 21.5 but you were right using the display port at running at 165hz adaptive refresh my games are buttery smooth even a relatively simple game like world of warships feels so much smoother now at 1440p at a lower frame rate than when i would play at 1080p with the frame rate well over 100fps. guess i got lucky out of the box to as i appear to have no dead pixels at all but they could always develop with use i suppose. Just need a longer displayport cable now so i can mange the cables a bit better on my monitor arm

Soldato
Glad you're happy with it!

1440P/IPS/High Refresh is the sweet spot right now for gaming, we're still a few years out for 4K being worth while for the majority of people.

Back
Top Bottom