Which 4TB drives to go in a new XPEnology setup??

Soldato
I've currently got a Synology DS213 with 2 x 2TB WD Red drives in there and I'm looking at setting up a Microserver running XPEnology with 2 x 4TB drives in RAID1 (or the Synology "Hybrid-Raid" anyway - not sure what the difference is to be honest!)

Anyway, when I set my original NAS up, the WD Red's were I think the only NAS-centric drives available whereas now Seagate and Toshiba seem to offer them to suit now too!

Is there much between these in terms of reliability and performance??

Associate
Synology Hybrid Raid (SHR for short) is Synology's proprietary RAID setup that optimizes how much storage space is actually usable when you have at least 3 drives. If you'd like to understand better how exactly it works, you can play around with the Synology RAID calculator, try plugging different drives into the graphic and then setting one of the options to SHR, and the other to RAID 1 or other RAID types for comparison if you add more drives. It's actually kinda fun to play around with.

Yes, we do offer NAS-specific drives, our current model is called IronWolf. These drives are rated for 24x7 use in NAS environments. In a 4TB capacity, an IronWolf drive would still be 5900 RPM, however once you go above that size (so 6TB and over), IronWolf drives are 7200 RPM. All capacities of the IronWolf Pro line are 7200 RPM and the warranty extends from the standard model's 3 years to 5 years. Sizes 4TB and over do have RV sensors built in, when coupled with the NAS-engineered firmware on the drives, they work together to ensure any vibration considerations of the NAS are handled and mitigated efficiently, since multiple drives in these enclosed spaces could potentially "beat up" on each-other and wear the drives down without this kind of consideration in place.

Synology and Seagate IronWolf drives (in capacities 4TB and up) also have a joint utility called IronWolf Health Management (IHM) which includes the Synology DS213 unit you mentioned. IHM takes a more proactive and wide-ranged approach to drive health than standard S.M.A.R.T monitoring. Standard S.M.A.R.T monitoring looks at only 20 drive parameters, IHM monitors over 200. S.M.A.R.T simply reports pass or fail status, IHM provides proactive options ahead of specified potential fail events. S.M.A.R.T doesn't really do baselines on drive health, while IHM consistently compares parameters to a baseline for any potential warning signs of drive issues.

Our AgileArray firmware is designed for optimized 10Gbe performance with higher bandwidth streaming and managing multiuser high-usage spikes.

Regardless of which drives you choose for your needs, thank you for considering Seagate!

Associate
I think you'll be fine with either wd or seagate or Toshiba .. they dont really make bad (spinning) drives anymore. The product is mature, and new technologys are incremental not revolutionary (helium and HAMR just increase the density).

BTW I'm just thinking of giving up my xpenology setup ...

Associate
It has worked fine in a gen8 for about 2 years , but now I need an encoder, specifically handbrake, and also disk swapping is infinitely faster than even gigabit lan (HP-microserver to desktop PC) there are other programs that I want to use that are only available on Windoze ...
I am going to keep my xpenology as a Virtual machine/backup and may revert in future

Back
Top Bottom