Which ADSL Modem?

Associate
Hi guys.
My Trust ADSL USB modem is on it's last legs, could you recommend something similar preferably with a USB connection but not a Trust 3100 :)
I don't need a router, or anything special.

Cheers

Permabanned
You may not need a router, but they are the most stable and secure way of connecting to the internet.

However, the SAR 600E is a single port adsl router, and available for £15 new.

There are also routers available that have a usb connection, however, these are usually usb network cards built into the router, which makes it pretty pointless if you have a network port on your motherboard.

Associate
OP
Hi Mike
Thanks for replying.
The reason I wasn't too bothered about routers was because I've only one PC (and hate to admit, know nothing about routers :( )
I was hoping someone might recommend something like a BT Speedtouch modem, they look tiny, connect via USB, but the couple I've seen on a competitor are branded/have software for companies like BT, don't know if that makes a difference. Anyway, thanks for taking time to reply :)

Don
linksys AM200

a router is easy to use mind, you just type in your login details into the router, then it's always connected, you just plug in an ethernet cable to the router and it 'just works'

Caporegime
An AM200's as good as a router, for all the same arguments: no drivers (besides for your network card), always on (in so far as you don't have to dial or anything, once it's set up you can switch it on and it'll connect with no more poking), doesn't rely on a host machine.

You lose NAT but it isn't a firewall anyway and you didn't have it with a USB modem...

Associate
It may seem like a minor point, but your PC must have an ethernet port. Any remotely recent PC should have one, but you never know...

In the extremely unlikely event that it doesn't have one, it will still be better to get the router mentioned above, but you will also need a PCI ethernet card.

You should be fine, though :D

Associate
OP
Hey there Snograt :)

My new PC will have a EVGA nForce 790i SLI Motherboard. Not sure about this Ethernet port thing or what the port looks like as I've not needed/encountered one up till now :( So I'm hoping the LinksysAM200 that everyone likes will be okay with this.

Cheers :)

Associate
Hey there Snograt :)

My new PC will have a EVGA nForce 790i SLI Motherboard. Not sure about this Ethernet port thing or what the port looks like as I've not needed/encountered one up till now :( So I'm hoping the LinksysAM200 that everyone likes will be okay with this.

Cheers :)

EVGA nForce 790i SLI *** Motherboard - NVIDIA nForce 790i SLI, Socket 775, ATX, Audio, PCI Express 2.0, Dual Gigabit LAN, S/PDIF, USB 2.0, Firewire, Serial ATA, RAID, eSATA

Your ethernet port, in yellow.

Back
Top Bottom