Which ADSL Provider, non LLU area.

Associate
After moving into a new house, and waiting for BT to install a phoneline :rolleyes: Im trying to decided which ADSL Provider to go for.

I cannot get Virgin Media in my area, and the only LLU provider is talktalk, which i wouldnt touch after reading all the reviews about the company.

I need unlimited downloads, apparently my line can support 7Mb so thats more than fast enough for me. I'm thinking BT option 3, but i have heard they have started capping there unlimited service. Any ideas please?

Associate
Have you considered Plusnet?
I got it in last year for my parents (no Virgin Media there either) and they said it's really good so... I reccomend it.

Associate
OP
£17.99 thats pretty decent. I'm just a little concerned with the 60GB usuage cap. I do download a lot of torrent + newsgroups + Xbox live.

Its just so hard, i mean 7 years ago, i always had, Giointernet, Pipex, UKonline etc £15 for unlimited downloads, there now all part of Sky or Talktalk.

Sky connect is just a complete ripoff, do others agree with me?

Soldato
BT Option 3 is limited to 100GB per month, you get an email at 80GB then after 100GB you get throttled till the end of the month, repeated failures to stay within 100GB will result in longer throttling.

Plusnet no longer have a truly unlimited package either as far as I know.

I think TalkTalk and Sky are the only truly unlimited ISPa and then only if you use their LLU circuits.

BT Infinity is limited to 300GB or so I've heard.

Andi.

Soldato
you can forget any notion of unthrottled connections and unlimited bandwidth with standard ADSL. you have to compromise somewhere. as mentioned above idnet and ZEN are very good but you'll have to learn to download a lot less. pretty much everyone else traffic shapes in one form or another - or is simply so congested that the service is pretty much unusable in the evenings.

Associate
AOL is horrible. :(

No. I had it, they implemented 100GB fair use when CPWH bought em out.

If TalkTalk offer truly unlimited downloads then go with them, I say. But I haven't seen the reviews so I am not factoring those in. No BB service I have had (talking 6-7 ISPs in about 4 or so years) has been truly terrible.

Sky is brilliant though. I've never had a problem.

Soldato
I'm currently considering going talk talk as its them or bt in my area and they are a fair bit less in price then bt.
are they really that bad?

Oops, just re read title, talk talk are Lou in my area

Last edited:
Soldato
TalkTalk have a terrible reputation, but are stupidly cheap. I'm in a similiar boat, although CPW have enabled LLU at my exchange (and TalkTalk sue their equipment as they are basically one and the same) I can't seem to get as good an all round package as BT in either price or service. If I get a faster service the download limits would cripple us...cheaper price and the service sucks!

Soldato
Not cheap are they, any other unlimited providers at all?

Yes they do, a friend of mine are with adsl4less for a year now up to 20Meg with his ADSL2+ and totally unlimited with no throttling as he just download 200GB every month and no problem with it. Only cost £19.99 a month with 1 month contract.

This isp is the only one with unlimited one here: http://www.adsl4less.com/cheapest-broadband.htm

Soldato
Associate
I'm with Xilo, their customer service is pretty good. They have peak and off-peak allowances which for me means 40GB peak and IIRC about 200GB off-peak(fair use). On the Office packages peak is 8AM-8PM, weekends and the rest of the day - off-peak.

Back
Top Bottom