Which AV receiver around £400

Soldato
My Onkyo 616 has recently died due to the common no HDMI sound issue.

Onkyo are giving me some cash back via their customer service program so I'm looking for a new receiver to power my Q Acoustics 5.1 system.

I've been looking at the Sony 1080 and an Onkyo 676, does anyone have any recommendationions?

Associate
Denon AVRX 2400.
Picked one up on offer for just over £300.
Great sounds and features. I came from a cheap Onkyo amp and speaker 5.1 set and the still using the speakers. The sound quality was noticeable even to my wife who can never tell.

Soldato
I went from a Denon to a Yamaha for around 400 and I've been happy with it. Mines an rxv781. I believe newer ones are 83 series.

Mine had a firmware update though and i think its effectively the same now.

Definitely worth checking out.

Man of Honour
I've recently installed a new projector for a customer and used his existing Sony 1050 receiver. Okay, it's a few models old, but even so it felt like a huge step backwards from equivalent-age Denons Pioneers Onkyos and Yamahas. I know the 1080 get decent reviews, but honestly the lack of features and the counter-intuitive menu system in the older models just gives me pause that the newer stuff is equally bare-bones too.

TJM

TJM

Associate
The 1080 is a very well reviewed AVR. Any problems with Sony’s equipment that existed four or five years ago aren’t a reason not to buy one now. Good brands have turned to **** in far less time.

Anyway, the Denon is the best bang for your buck at the moment unless you want a built-in Chromecast.

Soldato
I agree, the Denon 2400 is very good. Managed to get one for £290 from RS a few weeks ago.
Do you find it always puts on the setup menu when you start up the amp? Do I need to install the app perhaps? It also sometimes requires flicking the input when I turn it on, then works fine. It's Slightly frustrating! I bought it at circa 350 but agree it's a good amp

Soldato
Do you find it always puts on the setup menu when you start up the amp? Do I need to install the app perhaps? It also sometimes requires flicking the input when I turn it on, then works fine. It's Slightly frustrating! I bought it at circa 350 but agree it's a good amp

Nope no menu on startup, only when I request it. No flickering either.

Associate
I have to switch to input every time I start it up. I think it's arc's fault. Not input exactly but audio source

Back
Top Bottom