Which build? Gaming PC

Associate
I am currently in the process of speccing up a new build to return to PC gaming after years on consoles.

Bit stuck on if the pricer spec I was looking at is worth the extra investment - Open to suggestions for switching parts out for performance/value. Not bothered about creeping up a few extra FPS.

Maybe I can also get away with a cheaper case?

Primary use will be gaming in the living room via a 4K TV at 60hz, and 1080p on the TV at 120hz. Ability to upgrade in future is important hence the AMD CPU.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,952.12 (includes shipping: £13.20)​

OR

Total: £1,768.14 (includes shipping: £13.20)​

Soldato
Ok a couple of things, the Samsung 1tb ssd is extremely poor value and will make negligible difference in gaming over a

Total: £113.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)​

And the value bundle 3900x with b450 tomahawk isn't very good value as both parts can be brought separately for less

Total: £559.48 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Associate
OP
Ok a couple of things, the Samsung 1tb ssd is extremely poor value and will make negligible difference in gaming over a

Total: £113.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)

And the value bundle 3900x with b450 tomahawk isn't very good value as both parts can be brought separately for less

Total: £559.48 (includes shipping: £10.50)
Thanks for the advice on the SSD, regards the 3900x the bundle I put up includes RAM 2x 8gb RAM too.

Soldato
Thank you, you've managed to shave quite a bit of cost off there. Should I expect similar performance? Also with the ability to upgrade to potentially a 2080 ti in future
You could upgrade to the rtx 2080ti but in terms of the jump in cost its probably not worth it and with the rtx 30 series being released later this year it maybe better to jump to the 3080ti which should offer a nice boost in performance and much better ray tracing. If you plan to game + stream then the 3900x maybe the better cpu although like gpus AMD will be releasing new CPUs around Q3/4 and these could also offer a nice bump in performance especially gaming if they have a 15% IPC and unified cashe.

Last edited:
Soldato
does your TV support Sync tech ?

1080p with a 2080ti/2080s and Ryzen is a bit behind in performance compared to Intel - hard fact and a costly one . At 1440p and 4k its evens . Zen3 in Q3 should see an equal playing field at 1080p and hopefully AMD getting some eSports share ( most comps are at 1080p 240hz ) .

Nvidia conference is on the 22nd - to be streamed . Not sure about AMD Big Navi GPU dates.

Personally prefer SFF/ITX if its going in a living room . Guessing you'll be connecting Via HDMI ?

Total: £1,829.19 (includes shipping: £12.30)

Total: £1,402.19 (includes shipping: £12.30)

2080 super it up . if you've got a good HDR TV and games support Ray Tracing , 1440p + Ray tracing​

Caporegime
£360 on a 1TB nvme m2 drive?

I bought one for £80 4 months ago brand new.

Also get crucial ballistix lt sport. it's much better than corsair ram. there is a huge thread about it in the overclocking section.

Associate
OP
W
You could upgrade to the rtx 2080ti but in terms of the jump in cost its probably not worth it and with the rtx 30 series being released later this year it maybe better to jump to the 3080ti which should offer a nice boost in performance and much better ray tracing. If you plan to game + stream then the 3900x maybe the better cpu although like gpus AMD will be releasing new CPUs around Q3/4 and these could also offer a nice bump in performance especially gaming if they have a 15% IPC and unified cashe.

Not streaming just gaming, with ability to upgrade performance in future. Binning off console gaming

Associate
OP
does your TV support Sync tech ?

1080p with a 2080ti/2080s and Ryzen is a bit behind in performance compared to Intel - hard fact and a costly one . At 1440p and 4k its evens . Zen3 in Q3 should see an equal playing field at 1080p and hopefully AMD getting some eSports share ( most comps are at 1080p 240hz ) .

Nvidia conference is on the 22nd - to be streamed . Not sure about AMD Big Navi GPU dates.

Personally prefer SFF/ITX if its going in a living room . Guessing you'll be connecting Via HDMI ?

Total: £1,829.19 (includes shipping: £12.30)

Total: £1,402.19 (includes shipping: £12.30)

2080 super it up . if you've got a good HDR TV and games support Ray Tracing , 1440p + Ray tracing​

TV I have - https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/xe9005-series/specifications

Just want pure performance on ultra settings at a decent Res.

My concern with intel is when they change the slots, AMD is pretty much always the same right?

Soldato
TV I have - https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/xe9005-series/specifications

Just want pure performance on ultra settings at a decent Res.

My concern with intel is when they change the slots, AMD is pretty much always the same right?

no, changes 2021 . Push for data centers will mean DDR5 ( less voltage higher ram amount) and also a step ahead of intel like having PCie 4.0 instead of 3.0 . Zen3 should be a nice boost over Zen2 , maybe even more then jump from Zen to Zen2 .
Could always slap in Zen3 in 2/3 years time if performance is required, but rule of thumbs is that its GPU that gets the frame rates.

Want ultra/very best then push for 2080ti . if your abl to hold out till the 22nd then great

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gp...line-only_event_citing_coronavirus_concerns/1

Associate
OP
no, changes 2021 . Push for data centers will mean DDR5 ( less voltage higher ram amount) and also a step ahead of intel like having PCie 4.0 instead of 3.0 . Zen3 should be a nice boost over Zen2 , maybe even more then jump from Zen to Zen2 .
Could always slap in Zen3 in 2/3 years time if performance is required, but rule of thumbs is that its GPU that gets the frame rates.

Want ultra/very best then push for 2080ti . if your abl to hold out till the 22nd then great

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gp...line-only_event_citing_coronavirus_concerns/1

I don't mind spending the extra if it will last a good few years before swapping out parts. Would you expect instant price drops on older parts after this date or just new tech for around the same money I am looking? Probably go for the 2080ti if you think it's worth the extra over 2080 for frames at higher res.

Soldato
Not streaming just gaming, with ability to upgrade performance in future. Binning off console gaming
Ryzen 3700X would be bang per buck choise now.
Next-gen consoles will actually come with pretty much underclocked for energy efficiency variant of it.

Then in couple years after Zen3s go to discount you could likely get 12 core for nice price to keep PC good for more years.

I don't mind spending the extra if it will last a good few years before swapping out parts. Would you expect instant price drops on older parts after this date or just new tech for around the same money I am looking? Probably go for the 2080ti if you think it's worth the extra over 2080 for frames at higher res.
You just don't get return for money and especially that longevity in graphics cards no matter how much you pay.
Nvidia has been focusing to pumping buyer's butts for years and performance per price goes to bad and super bad after £500:
2080 Ti is like 35-40% faster than £400 Radeon RX 5700 XT.
Also Nvidia's marketing "forgets" (=purposely neglects) to tell that actual raytracing capability is questionable with up to 50% performance penalty.

Right time to buy expensive graphics card would be later this year when also AMD's next GPU architecture,which has been developed also for consoles, is out.
With people basically paying Nvidia to buttrape them and asking for more any new Nvidia releases are certain to be arm and both legs priced untill forced by competition.
Though who knows what the actual release situation will be this year with Coronavirus doing its things...

Associate
OP
Ryzen 3700X would be bang per buck choise now.
Next-gen consoles will actually come with pretty much underclocked for energy efficiency variant of it.

Then in couple years after Zen3s go to discount you could likely get 12 core for nice price to keep PC good for more years.

You just don't get return for money and especially that longevity in graphics cards no matter how much you pay.
Nvidia has been focusing to pumping buyer's butts for years and performance per price goes to bad and super bad after £500:
2080 Ti is like 35-40% faster than £400 Radeon RX 5700 XT.
Also Nvidia's marketing "forgets" (=purposely neglects) to tell that actual raytracing capability is questionable with up to 50% performance penalty.

Right time to buy expensive graphics card would be later this year when also AMD's next GPU architecture,which has been developed also for consoles, is out.
With people basically paying Nvidia to buttrape them and asking for more any new Nvidia releases are certain to be arm and both legs priced untill forced by competition.
Though who knows what the actual release situation will be this year with Coronavirus doing its things...

That all makes sense to me, think I'll pick up a 2080 for now as it's not too expensive and get a new card later in the year or next. Just need something I can switch whenever and I'll make a spare PC out the other bits for the girlfriend.

Based on that what do you think?

Soldato
paying for flagship GPUs you'll always spend a lot of cash . even AMD charge high amounts, RX 5600 and 5500 was expected to be priced a LOT lower from AIB and crushed their expected sales/profit predictions. Like NVidia, AMD keep pricing and spec's till last minute , and NVidia release Engineering boards as late as possible to AIB to increase profit margins on their own reference designs . I expect AMD to do what they did with RX 5700 XT and VEGA and keep Newest Flagship in reference/stock form for as long as possible to :(

thing with anything you buy, its obsolete . Zen2 is outdated by incoming Zen3 and Zen4 is on design with new socket and DDR5. Intel is rolling out 10 core on new socket which will be replaced by 10nm within a year on the same socket .

Nvidia 7nm should be a big step up from Pascal, which is still 16nm manufacture and not 12nm as advertised . AMD RDNA2 found in consoles has Ray Tracing in its hardware unlike current RX5700 cards .

In theory, a next gen console is better for TV as they will implement better sync tech for TVs . Shame though XBOX have dropped HDMI In and out on new Series .

and as above, coronavirus hit straight after Chinese New year in which factory work and distribution grinds to a halt. from 2 week break they've hit a full month off , now they seem to be back on Track EU will slow down :(

Caporegime
I am currently in the process of speccing up a new build to return to PC gaming after years on consoles.

Bit stuck on if the pricer spec I was looking at is worth the extra investment - Open to suggestions for switching parts out for performance/value. Not bothered about creeping up a few extra FPS.

Maybe I can also get away with a cheaper case?

Primary use will be gaming in the living room via a 4K TV at 60hz, and 1080p on the TV at 120hz. Ability to upgrade in future is important hence the AMD CPU.

Total: £1,952.12 (includes shipping: £13.20)

OR

Total: £1,768.14 (includes shipping: £13.20)

ram - you want crucial ballistix LT sport
cpu and mobo look perfect
SSD - ridiculous. i just bought a 1TB SSD NVME m2 in december for £80 on offer. max i would pay now is £100 not £360. you are setting fire to money.

as for GPU in order to play at 1080p you can get away with a 1660 super which is £200.

for 4K though you need a 2080 super which is close to £700.

so that shows you the kind of difference in spending with resolution

PSU - £170 - is overkill.

i think my PSU in my old build was £45 on offer and the current one about £60-£80.

CPU will use around 100 so spec for 150W. SSD's, fans, mobo another 100W so spec for 150W again. that's 300W. now you need power for GPU which is 50w to 250W so you need 550W to 600W PSU imo and gold is fine no need for platinum albeit platinum is better.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all your help guys, I went for the build Joxeon put forward. Had great fun building it :) Running games 120fps solid with RTX on at 1080. Enough for living room gaming really :)

Soldato
Thanks for all your help guys, I went for the build Joxeon put forward. Had great fun building it :) Running games 120fps solid with RTX on at 1080. Enough for living room gaming really :)

upscale to 1440p ingame ! should maintain same framerate , Ryzen bit handy capped at 1080p and you've easily got the horse power!

did you go for MSI Carbon for Bluetooth support if your gaming on sofa and TV ?

Associate
OP
upscale to 1440p ingame ! should maintain same framerate , Ryzen bit handy capped at 1080p and you've easily got the horse power!

did you go for MSI Carbon for Bluetooth support if your gaming on sofa and TV ?

Yep went for the Carbon, using Korsair KS63 & Dark Core mouse with Lapboard works perfect ( use pad for some games ). They come with 2.4ghz Dongles.

My TV only supports up to 120hz at 1080p anything above drops to 60hz. Still worth upscaling?

Soldato
Yep went for the Carbon, using Korsair KS63 & Dark Core mouse with Lapboard works perfect ( use pad for some games ). They come with 2.4ghz Dongles.

My TV only supports up to 120hz at 1080p anything above drops to 60hz. Still worth upscaling?

It might still do 1440p 120hz if you use CVT reduced blanking when setting up the custom resolution. I have a similar one (XF90) and that's how it works for me. Note: do not try HDR with 120hz, it will loop restarts of the TV.

Back
Top Bottom