• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which card to upgrade to?

Associate
Current card is an Asus GeforceFX 5700, so doesn't do too well with recent games.

CPU: A64 3400+ s754
Mobo: Asus K8N motherboard
RAM: 512Mb Crucial Ballistix
HDD: 320Gb Seagate (SATA)
Sound: onboard

Which AGP card would you recommend as an upgrade for this system? Budget is £100 max please.

[edit] Games I'm into are HL2, Doom3 type [/edit]

Last edited:
Associate
Cairnsey said:
no probs, :D why wasn't it made a sticky?! as most people who post here ask "Which card......"

It needs a bit more adding to it, TBH. I'll write something on Integrated graphics, budget external cards, laptop graphics and something on drivers and then maybe it'll be ready. Watch this space :)

Associate
OP
Thanks for that guys.

That link should definitely be a sticky!

The PSU is a 550w Antec TruePower, so although it's a couple of years old now it should easily handle that kit.

I can't really afford to upgrade the RAM and graphics at the same time. I could actually go up to a gig if I wanted, as I've got a single 512Mb in the system I'm replacing (in my sig, making it redundant until I can come up with another use for it.) Only downside is my current stuff is 333Mhz not 400Mhz.

How tempting is that x1950Pro - at £135 it looks a real bargain compared to the 7800's!

Soldato
CF93 said:
Thanks for that guys.

That link should definitely be a sticky!

The PSU is a 550w Antec TruePower, so although it's a couple of years old now it should easily handle that kit.

I can't really afford to upgrade the RAM and graphics at the same time. I could actually go up to a gig if I wanted, as I've got a single 512Mb in the system I'm replacing (in my sig, making it redundant until I can come up with another use for it.) Only downside is my current stuff is 333Mhz not 400Mhz.

How tempting is that x1950Pro - at £135 it looks a real bargain compared to the 7800's!

It certainly is a bragain considering it is the fastest AGP card out there! Nothing can touch it,(well the 24pipe gs comes close but its £200+)

IF you really can stretch that extra bit then get the Pro, seriously!

Associate
OP
Damnit don't tempt me to do it again

(spending more money than I'd planned)

Damn OcUK forums!! :D

[edit]plus it might be nice to have an ATI card for a change, only ever had nVidia since 3dfx went bang...oh well time to check with the bank manager![/edit]

Last edited:
Soldato
CF93 said:
Damnit don't tempt me to do it again

(spending more money than I'd planned)

Damn OcUK forums!! :D

[edit]plus it might be nice to have an ATI card for a change, only ever had nVidia since 3dfx went bang...oh well time to check with the bank manager![/edit]

Well il tell you what Iv been bouncing around the two and recently went from a 7900gs to an x1950pro I'll tell you what impressed me the most was how much better the ATi Image Quality really is compared to the comparitive 76**,78**,79** series of NVidia! Believe me you will be more than happy with either you choose as you will benefit in a massive speed increase but the x1950 is just that good bit better, as I said, if you can afford it, dont hesitate!

Back
Top Bottom