• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which card's to go for ?

Associate
Associate
OP
Prozel, how quiet is the MSI 7950 ?, im upgrading my sons and my own computers and he moans that my computer is to loud so I want to make sure the cards I get especially the 7850 for his system is quiet :)

Associate
Deciding between cards is bad enough and then deciding between brands is anther. Am in the same boat and am looking at the sapphire.

Maybe you could get an Asus and MSI instead both the same - Just a thought.

Sapphire make some of the highest end products, 6GB Toxic 7970, 6GB Vapor-X, they just make there top-end stuff in very limited numbers.

They are also AMD's European number 1 partner, as they sell more AMD Radeon based cards than any other partner. In the far east, I believe TUL Group is the largest.

Sapphire's warranty is OK, but OcUK honor the 2yr warranty, so its excellent.

Sapphire is also OcUK's no.1 selling VGA brand right now out of all partners including the NV ones, they are huge and their cards are always slightly more than others due to their coolers which in general are excellent.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
At the moment ive got all 4 in my basket :), I just cant decide which 2 to get.

The Warranty has always worried me with the Sapphire cards, its good to know OCUK sort out the 2 year warranty but its still only 2 years where as MSI and Asus are 3 years.

Associate
OP
I think Im going to go for the 2 MSI cards ...I think, they look to be better quality and I don't think noise is going to be an issue with either.

So it looks like the MSI 7850 and MSI 7950 is it ...I think :)

Associate
Prozel, how quiet is the MSI 7950 ?, im upgrading my sons and my own computers and he moans that my computer is to loud so I want to make sure the cards I get especially the 7850 for his system is quiet :)

Well hard to say since my rig (Bitfenix Prodigy) is close up to my right side, so I can hear the fans. However, I do not get annoyed by like you do with coil whine so I dont mind. I do have to say that I downsample and put everything in max, which explains the noise from the fans. :D

NZB

NZB

Associate
Wish i'd waited a few days, we already had a Twin Fozr 7850 and Sapphire 7950 in the house from AMD, grabbed another 7850 a few days ago but went for the HIS IceQ as it was on offer and it developed an annoying rattle on the fan within 36hrs. It's settled down now since adding a little lubricant but it was the first time using that brand and had no problems like that from previous cards. At the stock fan settings i might add, idling at 20%.

Last edited:

NZB

NZB

Associate
@weehamish I can't hear the Twin Fozr above my silver arrow cpu cooler and it's the loudest thing in that case yet unnoticeable unless the room is silent at night.

@CreateNPlay, i have one of those in the main PC due to borderlands addiction. It might be cheap in nvidia terms but it's not better per £.

Soldato
Personally i'd go for the EVGA 670 GTX FTW, everyone is having a blast with it and it's cheap to be honest. It runs on a GTX680 PCB and cooler and is pre-oc'ed.

Whilst you may hate AMD, and you're justified to your opinion, it's probably best to indicate that when recommending an nVidia card as good value when it isn't compared to the AMD alternative :)

Back
Top Bottom