Which chair is best for a larger guy?

Associate
I’m 6ft 4 and weight approx 18st (115kg) I’ve had a few chairs but they just don’t seem suitable for heavy blokes.

I was looking at SecretLabs XL chairs, but the price is a little off putting, I’d basically just like to get peoples opinions and suggestions for forking out £500+ for a secret lab chair

Thanks!

Soldato
I was looking at SecretLabs XL chairs, but the price is a little off putting, I’d basically just like to get peoples opinions and suggestions for forking out £500+ for a secret lab chair

Thanks!

Soldato
I'm just cutting and pasting my own lengthy post from a few months back :)

I've been in exactly your situation and although I can't give you any definite answers, considering our body shapes are likely very different, I'll happily try and babble on for a bit with details that may help!

I've got the Secretlabs Titan 2020 and the Noblechairs Hero (real leather version) sat in this room right now. ( https://imgur.com/a/BBqTGXh - the chairs next to each other). They're both extremely well built.

The Titan looks cooler to me.

They both have amazing build quality. Flawless. They feel like they'll both last forever.

The Titan is a MUCH snugger fit on the body. The Hero is a LOT looser and a more relaxed fit.

The Titan comes in a LOT more from the sides across the shoulder areas, making it appear noticeably less wide when sitting on it (hence the snugness). At least for me being a very tall person who is quite wide across the shoulders too, this is really quite annoying because you just can't get your shoulder/shoulder blades properly rested on it at all. I found myself with a lot of shoulder issues from not being able to fully get my back on the chair. The Hero doesn't have these issues and it's very comfortable on your shoulders. I'd say this is only to be considered if you're 5ft 10 and above. For example, my partner is 5ft 9/10 and she absolutely prefers the Titan shape and she now has the Titan indefinitely, but she'd be very happy on both, because they're both great.

I've just sat in the Titan again now and it feels really quite soft on the seat bit compared to the rather firm Hero seat. They say it loosens a bit over time and it does, but not as much as the Titan seat. The Hero is causing me no issues in this regard, but the Titan is still a noticeably more comfortable on the seat bit.

The Titan feels more of a 'gaming chair'. The Hero feels more of a 'proper' chair. Perhaps even way more so than the pictures of both suggest.

I've had the Titan 2020 now for about 2 years and the PU 2.0 fake leather is showing no signs of wear at all and the seat is holding very firm.

I didn't realise this before buying the Titan, but Secretlabs have a quite shocking customer service reputation and this probably would have put me off buying one if I'd known before buying. Noblechairs on the other hand have a really quite good reputation for aftercare.

They're both great. For me, it comes down to size as to which makes the most sense, to be honest. If you're under 5ft 10/11 and of relatively normal weight, I'd have been very tempted to go for the Titan since they look cooler with all the styles. For anyone either very tall or fairly heavy, the Noblechairs Hero seems a total no brainer... just as long as you're also aware that the Hero seat is really quite firm and takes some getting used to.

The perfect chair would probably be the Secretlabs Titan seat bit, with Noblechairs Hero back bit, and the styling designs of the Secretlabs Titan.

Associate
A sunnier or damper area than Ron-ski....
I bought the secretlabs titan for my other half a couple of years ago - he's 6ft 4, but about 14st - finds it extremely comfortable, so would highly recommend.

I actually bought one of their smaller ones for myself last year too (I'm 5ft 7 and 8st) and it is likewise very comfortable.

I'd highly recommend them!

Soldato
You could go to an office furniture store and try out the chairs. See which feels comfortable.

I've no idea why people order chairs blind without trying them out. I made sure mine felt comfortable before I bought it. The same with my couch and bed etc.

Last edited:
Associate
I'd be looking at the 2nd hand market. You can buy some amazing chairs for under £300. Some Herman Millers (Mirra, Aeron), Steelcase (Leap v2), Knoll, Haworth and some other cracking chairs. They'll be much better than any gaming chair you can currently buy. They'll offer good ergonomics and are highly adjustable and comfortable. Oh, not to mention proper warranty (up to 12 years) compared to cheaply made gaming chairs.

Soldato
I have a titan xl and really like it.

6foot 3 and 105kg. Super comfortable for long periods once you experiment with the adjustments a bit, for Example I brought the arms in a bit by the brackets that attach them to the chair rather then the smaller adjustment on the armrests themselves, and I have the lumbar set lowest and fairly shallow.

Soldato
That's a normal weight for that height.

The regular size is advertised for persons 170-189cm, with a max weight of 100kg,
The XL is 181-205cm, 80kg-180kg.

So i'm just slightly on the xl size according to that, I was just trying to say I'm happy I went with the XL. Hopefully the extra load capacity means its a but more robust, too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom