Which CPU cooler for £35?

Associate
I'm looking for a cooler which can cool an overclocked AMD Phenom II 955 well. I'm thinking of upgrading to Ivybridge in the future though, so if it's compatible with both sockets, then great. I might stretch to £40 if it's significantly better value than a £35 one. Thanks.

Soldato
I'd say remove the side fan or else you will be severely limited in what you can choose from especially as all high end coolers are 160mm or so in height. What case do you have?

Generally having a proper tower cooler is more effective than using a smaller cooler with a side fan.

Associate
OP
I'd say remove the side fan or else you will be severely limited in what you can choose from especially as all high end coolers are 160mm or so in height. What case do you have?

Generally having a proper tower cooler is more effective than using a smaller cooler with a side fan.

My case is a really terrible unbranded one. I hope to upgrade it as soon as possible. It's a mid tower.

I can remove the side fan. I was using it to exhaust air from my graphics card, but that doesn't go above 70C, so I'm not really worried about taking out the side fan. I'll try to measure my case to see if it has enough room without it, but it's tricky, because I'm not sure where to measure from.

EDIT: I think I have about 170mm from the motherboard PCB to the side of the case. Would this be big enough?

Last edited:
Associate
quick question to anyone who has the 612s

whats the easiest way to install it? before putting the mobo in the case or after?

Associate
OP
I have received and installed it. I had to take out my motherboard as the CPU cutout in my case was in the wrong place for my motherboard. I am getting temperatures about 10C cooler than with the stock cooler, and a billion times quieter. Is this about right?

Back
Top Bottom