• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which CPU to buy in this ugly situation?

Associate
Reportedly, GPU prices are falling. In reality, 3070ti is hard to find for whatever is cost in August, 3070 still makes no sense given the price of ti, and we've all seen 3060ti for less than it asks now. Perhaps 3060 and 6600XT are more accessible. There was an outburst of cheaper used 1080s, but they've gone up at least 10% since.

The problem is, meanwhile my 1070ti has died. It looks like I applied excessive pressure when mounting Accelero, which was all fine until I tried to install Windows 11, at which point the extra current from Secure Boot essentially bananized my GPU. I still have the Accelero, though for obvious reasons I've grown somewhat shy of using it again.

I need a GPU, and the HD7850 I have on loan from a friend won't cut it. So I wonder what to buy in the light of the current situation and what's likely to happen in Q3 and Q4, though the last months have taught us a thing or two about forecasts — sigh.

Bottom line:
  • used 1080 starts from €300 for a respectable model, but the thing is what… 6 or 7 years old?
  • used 1080ti commands a hefty 33% extra, at which point it gets so close to the price of a NIB 3060 with full warranty that it no longer makes any sense
  • 3060 costs about 60% more than a used 1080 for a precious little better performance
  • 3060ti is more respectable but costs 40% or even 50% more than a plain 3060, which is double the price of a used 1080
  • and then there's 3070 for just 15% extra compared to 3060ti
  • and then there's 3070ti for like 10% more than a plain 3070
  • 6600XT is slightly faster and cheaper than 3060 but worse with RT, and FSR is worse than DLSS, so it's like 1080ti or 2060 super with warranty
So what to buy?

My CPU is a 9600K. I game in 1440p, and my monitor can go up to 75 fps, though for the time being I want to focus on slightly older / less intense games, such as Pathfinder, Divinity: Original Sin, maybe Dirt 4 or 5, Outer Worlds, perhaps something else from 2018 or 2019, such as Jedi: Fallen Order. And maybe a bit of Tropico 6 or Crusader Kings 3. None of these games support RT or DLSS for all I know.

Would it thus make sense for me to simply buy a best-bang-for-the-buck 1080 and hope it lasts me until 4060 arrives / AMD and/or Intel ups its game and catches up / Mass Effect 4, Kingdom Come Deliverance 2, Dragon Age 4, Fallen Order 2 and Dirt 6 (or whatever's the current number) come out? I really would hate to pay the current inflated price for a 3060ti only to not really use it and watch it lose its value until it sinks to like 200 euros? On the other hand, I'd rather grab something reasonably strong like 3060ti before it runs out or starts costing an arm and a leg again, and 1080 is a really old card. So perhaps I should compromise and settle on a 6600XT for basically the same performance as 1080 but with warranty and perhaps Crossfire support in case I can get another one on the cheap at some point down the road and/or my finances improve? Obviously, 1080/ti supports SLI, but with a 750W PSU and OC'd CPU I can't pull that off.

Here's the ladder after converting from local currency to EUR:
  1. €300: GTX 1080, used, something good like Strix or GameRock.
  2. €365: cheapest blower 1080ti to use with my Accelero
  3. €390: GTX 1080ti, used, something decent that doesn't need a risky cooler swap
  4. €460: 6600XT (Fighter, maybe Mech)
  5. €490: semi-decent 3060 (like KFA)
  6. €650: semi-decent 3060ti (like MSI Gaming X (not Z, not Trio, etc.))
  7. €730: cheapest 3070
  8. €815: cheapest 3070ti (it does have 3 fans at least)
Above that, I can't go. And nothing from AMD makes sense other than the 6600XT. You can find 2070 for the price of a 3060, which is plain worse for the money, and 2060 is just a bit more expensive than 1080 while not as good, although newer, but all in all not really appealing to me (the whole 2000 series). Neither 3050 nor 6600 (non-XT) seem worth it.

I've even considered buying a 580 4GB for €170 just to survive in isometric RPGs etc., but I might as well fork out 50% extra for 1080 to avoid half-measures if already buying used.

I appreciate you guys being patient with me and reading through my text wall. Now I need to ask your advice: what would you buy in my situation? And I need to buy something.

Associate
Although not strictly a 1440p card I would just grab a 6600xt as it will have a warranty and be fine in older and the less intense strategy games that you often play. Especially as you had just intended to keep gaming on a 1070ti. You can always use rsr or if available fsr as well

Associate
OP
Although not strictly a 1440p card I would just grab a 6600xt as it will have a warranty and be fine in older and the less intense strategy games that you often play. Especially as you had just intended to keep gaming on a 1070ti. You can always use rsr or if available fsr as well

Seems to be the way I'm leaning right now. I've found an outlet PowerColor Fighter 6600XT that's like 10% cheaper than the cheapest single-fan 3060. So just a couple of euros more than a used 1080ti and performs just about the same at a lower electricity cost, and has warranty. By year end it's probably going to lose much value but perhaps not enough to make me shed bitter tears like a 3060ti dropping to 300 euros months after purchase could.

What? You are blaming a Windows install for frying your GPU. Not. Sure. If. Serious.

After the local PC repair shop couldn't help me, I took the card to the pros, some bigshot repair shop, smack in the centre of the city. They said the processor was fried because I'd applied too much pressure when mounting the cooler. I said well, everything had worked just fine, despite heavy OC, until I enabled Secure Boot, which sent my mobo to RMA-land (it was beyond any way of CMOS reset known to man, or even UEFI system stick with flash command in autoexec) and made my GPU no longer give video signal. I told them I didn't believe in coincidences. They said yeah, a connection was possible because Secure Boot sent more current to the card than normal boot, so it was possible the heat had ramped up very quickly and fried something critical, but in any case they said the graphical processor was dead from excessive pressure. Didn't sound convincing to me, but they'd spent a lot of time with the card trying to make it work to no avail, and they seemed more knowledgeable than I am.

Last edited:
Soldato
which was all fine until I tried to install Windows 11, at which point the extra current from Secure Boot essentially bananized my GPU.

:cry::cry::cry: local PC repair shop

• 3060ti is more respectable but costs 40% or even 50% more than a plain 3060, which is double the price of a used 1080

3060ti

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/inno...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-07u-in.html £488

40/50% ????? :D

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-46l-as.html £428

I would buy a 3060ti.

Associate
OP
Sorry but they are talking total balls.

Thanks. But it's still a fact that the card died (if truly is dead) after I enabled Secure Boot and restarted. Mobo required RMA intervention and GPU died. Or rather it still lights the LEDs and spins the fans but doesn't give video signal. Any idea what may have happened other than something frying my stuff during that particular reset? Obviously, I would be delighted if my 1070ti was somehow still alive. It was a tweaked board from Taiwan with a beefed up 8+8 power section, for >2100/8800 clocks.

Buy an Rx6600 if they are the same price in your local as they are in the UK.

I can get a 6600XT for less than they ask in the UK. However, 3060ti and 3070 are far less expensive in the UK than here, and I've just realized we still have the customs union. This sells outside of the UK too: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/inno...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-086-in.html, and it costs what I would have to pay for a 3060ti where I live.

Man of Honour
Thanks. But it's still a fact that the card died (if truly is dead) after I enabled Secure Boot and restarted. Mobo required RMA intervention and GPU died. Or rather it still lights the LEDs and spins the fans but doesn't give video signal. Any idea what may have happened other than something frying my stuff during that particular reset? Obviously, I would be delighted if my 1070ti was somehow still alive. It was a tweaked board from Taiwan with a beefed up 8+8 power section, for >2100/8800 clocks.

Usually if the system doesn't post after enabling secure boot, it just wasn't reset properly (e.g. pulled the battery, but not for long enough, or didn't follow the reset process described in the manual correctly).

Associate
OP
Usually if the system doesn't post after enabling secure boot, it just wasn't reset properly (e.g. pulled the battery, but not for long enough, or didn't follow the reset process described in the manual correctly).

I mean the GPU. It doesn't work in any other system. I've checked it with three mobos and two or three technicians have checked it for me in their test systems. Other than spinning the fans and lighting the LEDs, the GPU seems to be dead, and it seems to have died just when I enabled Secure Boot. The mobo survived that, just needed a BIOS flash. The GPU has not recovered. I know this is 'post hoc ergo propter hoc', so not really valid logic, but other than enabling Secure Boot, I can't see what else may have killed the GPU.

Soldato
I mean the GPU. It doesn't work in any other system. I've checked it with three mobos and two or three technicians have checked it for me in their test systems. Other than spinning the fans and lighting the LEDs, the GPU seems to be dead, and it seems to have died just when I enabled Secure Boot. The mobo survived that, just needed a BIOS flash. The GPU has not recovered. I know this is 'post hoc ergo propter hoc', so not really valid logic, but other than enabling Secure Boot, I can't see what else may have killed the GPU.

Why not just force flash the GPU BIOS using your onboard iGPU? That would be my next course of action, nothing to lose if it remains kaput

Soldato
The Radeon 7850 doesn't support UEFI. So if your technician tested it in 3 different UEFI motherboards and had no display, that's why.

The motherboard needs to be set to Legacy BIOS. Or it could use UEFI GOP.

Associate
OP
Yeah, it's the 1070ti that doesn't work. It should support UEFI GOP, but it was a bit of a custom line (Colorful iGame Vulcan U-Top), so who knows.

I don't have any processor with an iGPU right now, nor a spare computer, and on top of this the card doesn't have a BIOS available for it online from the manufacturer's website. I've actually just checked again just in case while typing this, and it seems TechPowerUp has a BIOS for it now, so I have the .rom file, and nvflash of course. I've just made a FreeDOS USB boot stick with autoexec and will see if that works. Is there any better method these days?

Soldato
I don't have any processor with an iGPU right now, nor a spare computer, and on top of this the card doesn't have a BIOS available for it online from the manufacturer's website. I've actually just checked again just in case while typing this, and it seems TechPowerUp has a BIOS for it now, so I have the .rom file, and nvflash of course. I've just made a FreeDOS USB boot stick with autoexec and will see if that works. Is there any better method these days?

You could always stick your 7850 in the spare PCI-E slot, so you have a video output.

Associate
OP
Right. I tried blind flashing, it didn't work. Right now I have the 7850 in the primary slot and the 1070ti in the spare slot, but the 1070ti isn't detected. Will try swapping them around. With just the 1070ti, keyboard is responsive (Caps Lock works, CTRL+ALT+DEL resets the system, etc.) and I suspect even Windows loads, it's just that there is no video signal. So maybe the card is not dead after all.

Edit: With the 1070ti in the primary slot and the 7850 in the secondary slot, I get video from the 7850, but nvflash claims no nVidia cards are detected. So looks like the card's been bricked, after all.

Last edited:
Associate
Price gap between 3060Ti and 3060 is large, but so is the performance.
Price gap between 3070 and 3070Ti is small, but so is the performance, and the TI will use a lot more power.

When I was looking for GPU, 3060Ti and 3070 were the best in terms of price/performance/heat (and chances to get a FE card at MSRP)

6600XT is slightly faster and cheaper than 3060 but worse with RT, and FSR is worse than DLSS
6600XT seems a good variant. You haven't used RT and DLSS yet, no idea if you will later.

Soldato
Edit: With the 1070ti in the primary slot and the 7850 in the secondary slot, I get video from the 7850, but nvflash claims no nVidia cards are detected. So looks like the card's been bricked, after all.

You have to force flash the card, even if it isn't detected, that is the point in a "force" flash, you are telling it there is a GPU in that slot and that you want to apply a new .rom to it.

EDIT: You might actually have to use an SPI programmer on it, as it's an NVidia card, I had my ATI head on, but you can still try it again. :)

Last edited:
Associate
3050s come up for £220 ish every now again and is comparible to a 1080 but with newer features that the 30xx series offers.

Associate
OP
Hey, guys. Just to let you know and not waste your time — please don't concern yourselves with my dead or not-so-dead 1070ti. I've just mailed it to specialized technicians in a different city, one of whom sounded inclined to believe it might just be the card's BIOS gone bad along with the mobo's BIOS. At the very least they'll inspect it without charging me if they can't fix it, so I'll just lose some (low) shipment fees and just a tiny bit of gaming time — too much work this week and probably the next, plus I have a new book and a website to finish. They'll probably charge me around a hundred quid if they can fix it, which is still one third of a used 1080. So I'll just have to wait. And if they can't fix the card, chances are I'll take the 3070 from here at OC UK, if it's still available. From time to time there are some nice discounts on cheapest 3060s and 6600XT models sold by outlets from consumer returns, at which point an old beefy 1080ti at the same price really makes no sense (it might be like 3% faster and 5% cheaper but also older, hoggier, more worn and out of warranty, kinda like myself after 39th birthday last week ;)). Being able to support OC UK would alleviate my qualms about elevating the GPU budget above what's reasonable in the light of my earnings and the difficult situation in this part of Europe right now. I took on an additional job tonight to cut down on thinking/economizing time and just use my time to simply generate more money to spend. Once you've seen a 3070 for 550 quid, it's difficult to justify buying anything less, including an outlet Pegasus 3060 or Fighter 6600XT for two thirds of the price.

If they manage to fix the card, I guess I'll wait for 4060 and perhaps upgrade the platform in the meantime while I can still sell the 9600KF and z390 Aorus Pro (now back from RMA with flashed BIOS) without losing too much of their resale value.

And yeah, the 3050 is probably a great alternative for all those folks ending up buying wrinkled titans off of miners. If you've already come to terms with not getting 60/ultra, you might as well save on energy bills and get warranty.

For the record, meanwhile I've pushed the 7850 as far as the bars allowed. I can't see much improvement in-game, but Valley has gone from 750 to 970 (the 1070ti had gone from 3900 to 4500 when OC'd). I doubt I'm going to see more than 80 degrees from it, even with its single fan. Nice little fossil.

Back
Top Bottom