Which DDR4 RAM is best for gaming?

Associate
I'm thinking about upgrading my 2500k system at some point in the near-ish future and have been spending a bit of time researching components. If I were to buy it now it would be a 7700k based system, probably on something like a Maximus IX Hero. I've not decided to actually buy yet - I may still wait for Coffee Lake / Ice Lake (I'd at least wait to see what Zen has to offer) but hopefully this provides an idea of what I am aiming for.

However I am pretty much at a loss when it comes to which RAM would be suitable in my hypothetical build. I doubt I'd use any more than 16GB for the foreseeable future but beyond that I'm fairly clueless. I know lower timing is better and higher frequency is better. But I'm also aware of the complicating issue that there's a trade-off between the two.

For example I'm left with no idea which of the following two corsair kits would be better for gaming.

(I'm aware they are of different size, this is just an example)

Is the 2133MHz kit with tighter timings better? Is the 4133 kit with looser timings better? Will one be more stable? Will one allow me to overclock further? I have no idea. There seems to be a lot of conflicting information on the matter.

Honestly it's not really helped by the fact that if you peruse through the "spec me" threads you'll find individuals recommending RAM kits with wildly different frequencies or price points without much explanation. Heck, you'll even see the same individual recommend 2 or 3 different builds with different RAM kits in the same thread. It's all very confusing!

Soldato
As I understand it, it will make a difference, but not THAT much. It comes down to how much you want to spend and much you value every single frame and Hz that you will gain when overclocking. So yes, the 4133Mhz kit will be better, but exactly how that translates in to a real world visible gain is hard to quantify exactly. Also how much you value even minor gains is really a question only you can answer.

Soldato
Not entirly sure that the new hero will run 4133mhz unless of course you know what your doing with overclocking memory. If its purely for gaming then a good set of 3600mhz sticks will be ample imo.

Caporegime
memory speeds make so little difference on modern CPU's

2400mhz is more than ample.

the only things higher frequencies do is get you better benchmark scores. modern cpu's have very efficient caches.

I'd save yourself £100 go slower then spend that £100 elsewhere like the GPU or SSD

Caporegime
Last edited:
Associate
I think there are very few boards that will support 4133mhz (they'll certainly be pricier ones if they can). Although I do believe there is some benefit in going to 3000Mhz and a bit above, 4133 Mhz is pushing it a bit far I think.

Associate
OP
So it seems like the sentiment is that higher frequency RAM is better but the difference is so marginal that it makes virtually no difference.

That said the benchmarks linked appear to be showing the direct impact of the RAM on performance. But how much will different RAM kits affect overclocking? If I were to go from one end of the spectrum (2133MHz) to the other (4133MHz) how would the maximum CPU overclock be affected?

Edit: There are also a lot of comments in the linked benchmark that faster RAM is more important for raising minimums than it is average FPS - is there any truth to that?

For example see the following thread:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1487162/an-independent-study-does-the-speed-of-ram-directly-affect-fps-during-high-cpu-overhead-scenarios

Last edited:
Caporegime
Mins would have been a better test admittedly, as that is where the greatest difference is probably seen. I didn't find a good review with mins using DDR4 with a quick google though. The one in your link concerns DDR3 and an older platform, not sure we can extrapolate the results to much faster DDR4.

I can't imagine there is a scenario where giving up CPU speed for a higher RAM overclock would be beneficial.

Last edited:
Soldato
Personally I'd just choose some that you like the look of. A set of blue or black sticks is probably a more appropriate differentiation! What I'm tying to say is you won't notice any difference. Spend £100 on 16gb you like the look of and you won't go far wrong!

Soldato

More media fail. They're not testing minimums.

To the OP, lower your sites from 4133, there are only a couple of 4 DIMM boards capable of running that speed, so very much depends what board you purchase. 3600 is your best option if wanting plug and play

I don't know about z170/z270 but on X99 you have to use a different strap with high speed sticks and it can make your overclock harder to achieve at the extremes.

Not true, strap dependence on X99 (up to 1.25) depends on the CPU in question, some CPU can be difficult to hone in on certain ratios above 2400. However the strongest ratio is 3200, which is fine on 100 strap.

Last edited:
Caporegime
More media fail. They're not testing minimums.

We've already covered that about 4 posts up. Have you got a review with minimums in? That would add something.

Not true, strap dependence on X99 (up to 1.25) depends on the CPU in question, some CPU can be difficult to hone in on certain ratios above 2400. However the strongest ratio is 3200, which is fine on 100 strap.

You've said what I've said isn't true (pushing higher RAM speeds can be fussy when you fiddle non-stock straps) then essentially repeated what I said :confused:

Why is 3600 the best option? It's pricier and I've not seen any decent review that show's it's worth the premium.

Associate
OP
We've already covered that about 4 posts up. Have you got a review with minimums in? That would add something.

I actually did find a pretty good article on techspot which found some fairly large gains to both average FPS and minimums. That was with SLI 980Tis however and the gains were greatly reduced with a single 980Ti.

If I'm reading all the information right it looks like as you would expect if you're GPU is stuck at 100% load in a particular gain you're probably best off spending money on more GPU power. If it isn't hitting 100% load however you may well see some gains from faster RAM.

Associate
Get 8gb of the highest frequency your board supports, I say that because when I built my PC 5 years ago everybody said speed doesn't matter, so I bought 8gb 1333hz, it made bf3 and bf4 run poorly, just by buying 1866hz my frames shot up another 10, more on the bigger maps. DDR4 is quick, very quick in comparison to what I had, but you never no what game in the horizon loves faster RAM

Back
Top Bottom