Which fans? - Server + Fractal Define XL R2

Associate
Hi all,

I am building a server inside a Factal Define XL R2 which will have 8 x HDDs is mounted next to the front 2 x 140mm Fans. The rear of the case has space for another 2 x 140mm fans. There is more space for fans in the rest of the case.

The question is which fans to use and what set up.

1) For the front 2 x 140mm intakes I am thinking of using Corsair ML140s. This is for the higher airflow onto the 8 x HDDs which are 8Tb Ironwolves and run hotter than normal HDDs. Also I am thinking the higher mmH20 pressure these fans give to conpensate for air flow problems. There are dust filters and accoustic foam at the front of the case which will impact the intake, plus pushing the air over those 8 x HDDs and their cabling.

2) For the rear 2 x 140mm exhaust (1 beside and 1 above the CPU) I am stuck between the Corsair ML140s or Noctua NF-P14s Redux. For the ML140s I am thinking of pairing the CFM of the intakes to get a good flow rate. For the NF-P14s I am thinking of reducing noise, but also the lower CFM will allow the case to slightly over pressure to help keep dust out as there is plenty holes/grates in the case to let the excess CFM escape.

There is no extra exhaust fans on this case. There is no GPU pushing air out, and the PSU has an intake through the bottom of the case.

What are peoples thoughts and suggestions?

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Tried to order the same as the ones included with the case, 2 started with the annoying noise after a month.
If newer Phanteks case the fans are basically a PH-F140SP with a PH-F140MP impeller, so best replacement is PH-F140MP .. or PH-F120MP is 120mm fans. They are PWM fans, but work fine on variable voltage too.

Back
Top Bottom