• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which GPU (for non-gaming) to run a 4K monitor & 4K TV

Associate
Hi all...

Not up on graphics cards TBH, but what would I need to output to a 4k monitor & a near-by 4k TV? I don't do any gaming, so it hopefully doesn't have to be anything high-end maybe??

My PC has an i7 cpu, 24gb ram, 240gb SSD and a 4TB storage drive and up to now, an old GPU - which used to output to both my 1080p TV & monitor just fine. True to form, my TV recently went pop and I got a new 4K one to replace it, and now my old monitor's also showing signs of following the TV to the skips!

I'm thinking if I do replace it, I might get a new 4K one too, and have that for my general PC usage and watch films etc on my bigger TV.

Any suggestions what to get? I'm thinking of someone (a Gamer) upgrading and selling their 'old' kit as second-hand would do for me!

Thanks for any advice...

Associate
1030gt is nice, itll cope with low bitrate 4k stuff in madvr, and u can get passive ones
buuut madvr eat's gpu so i just went from 1030gt to 2060fe because the 1030 stuggles abit with some video in madvr - the 1050 and 1060 are completely fine aparently, but i thought the 2060 was better value

madvr is best quality output for video :)

Associate
OP
Same me a job, come back and tell me what it is :D

From their website...

"madVR is a high quality DirectShow video renderer.

Designed as a no-compromise approach, madVR tries to achieve the best possible video playback quality."

I just drag a windows over to my other display...whether it be VLC, Kodi or whatever....used to display spot-on with the old GPU (in 1080p at least) so maybe a GTX 1030 would suffice for that??

Associate
OP
Taking this a step further...I'm wondering now if I could just use a (small-ish) 4K TV?? I've no need for responsiveness (as in gaming)...I'm basically just after a 4K 'screen' to do general PC stuff, browsing the net, watch YouTube etc...

Am I missing something here??

Associate
madvr is worth faffing about with if you watch a lot of video files, it has handy stuff like setting the display to same hz as video, and u can configure the hdr brightness or something too. has best motion, colour, detail etc. i think you can even pump youtube through it somehow. i think its fancy output is limited to fullscreen, and it may well not play nice with dual screens.

if you buying a screen id say try to get a hdr one, and a telly wont do 4:4:4? input, but something with display port might, not much of a issue really, but worth pointing out

Caporegime
Taking this a step further...I'm wondering now if I could just use a (small-ish) 4K TV?? I've no need for responsiveness (as in gaming)...I'm basically just after a 4K 'screen' to do general PC stuff, browsing the net, watch YouTube etc...

Am I missing something here??
I’m using a 43” LG tv as a 4K monitor via HDMI and have to say it’s the best screen I’ve ever owned, no issue with responsiveness whatsoever and great image quality.

Quite a few friends have gone the same route after seeing mine.

I’d buy one from say Argos try it and if you don’t like the quality just take it back, iirc they still have a no quibble returns policy.

Back
Top Bottom