Which is the best chipset fan?

Associate
The chipset fan on my Asus a8n sli seems to be dying on me so I was wondering what would you recommend is the best replacement

Thanks in Advance

Permabanned
Quote:
Originally Posted by netby
My friends call me Johnny McMonstersig

eheheheh :)
sorry mate
correction done!

Soldato
If you want to use sli or want to install a card in the top pci-e slot the only things that will work for you are the thermalright hr05 sli, the mcubed borg and the jing ting if you can find one. Nothing else will work because of the space restriction of 40x40x10mm.
If you have the old style chipset cooler (mounted in a square shape rather than in a triangle shape) asus will send you a replacement one for free which will be the new design and works much better than the old style one.

If you decide to use your graphics card in the bottom slot you need to make sure you have the latest or at least a recent bios, older versions did not allow the primary graphics card to be in the secondary pci-e slot, but i believe newer revisions do.

Minstadave said:
You can get away with a zalman passive sink on NF4, can't be beaten really, silent, effective, unbreakable. You'll have to check it fits ok though.
I think a member on here managed to shoe-horn one of these on, but it depends on your graphics card and its pretty difficult.

Last edited:
Soldato
Minstadave said:
No it was on a DFI Ultra-D, it was quite a popular mod, even had people pestering me on XS about it.
Well it solved a very difficult problem i.e how do you remove that much heat with only 40x40x10mm to play with in a silent manner. It took manufacturers some time to make after market heatsinks that solved the problem.

Personally i plan to go the hr-05 sli route on my 'sli deluxe when the chipset cooler on that dies or i get fed up with it, as i don't think your zalman mod would fit with a graphics card with an ac silencer on it... but i do have a spare zalman, so it might be worth a shot.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom