Which is the Best Liquid Metal for delidding?

Associate
I used thermal grizzly Conductonaut Liquid Metal between the die and the IHS and then Kryonaut between IHS and heatsink. knocked 20 degree's off my 8700k

Associate
OP
I used thermal grizzly Conductonaut Liquid Metal between the die and the IHS and then Kryonaut between IHS and heatsink. knocked 20 degree's off my 8700k

Nice! I can't wait to delid mine.

My 8700K has a max overclock of 5200MHz but it runs way too hot for my liking. Heck it even boots into windows at 5300MHz but that would probably need some serious vcore and cooling to keep stable.

Soldato
From what I've read, the CL stuff is not very good long term. A lot of the complaints people used to have about LM are from those older applications. Conductonaut being a newer product, it seems to have become the de facto standard. I've only used Conductonaut and found it fairly easy to use (if you know all of its quirks!). I've heard about the CL stuff drying out or reacting, flaking and migrating, and heavily staining surfaces. I've only heard that Conductonaut stains copper very mildly.

Associate
Its really easy with the 8700k just take your time. There isnt much to worry about regarding the liquid metal shorting the chip if you use a bit of nail polish on the 4 tiny caps or what ever they are called under the IHS. Just done use to much and reseal the IHS using a tiny bit of heat resistant silicone of all 4 corners (makes it loads easier to delid again if needed)

Associate
OP
Its really easy with the 8700k just take your time. There isnt much to worry about regarding the liquid metal shorting the chip if you use a bit of nail polish on the 4 tiny caps or what ever they are called under the IHS. Just done use to much and reseal the IHS using a tiny bit of heat resistant silicone of all 4 corners (makes it loads easier to delid again if needed)

Are there any risks when applying liquid metal as a TIM in between the die and IHS? Can it conduct anything else apart from heat? I'm not gonna reseal the IHS until I sell my 8700K which I won't be anytime soon.

Associate
Yeah it will short your cpu if it touches any of the 4 little tiny caps, just use nail polish to cover them and you will be fine. Watch a couple of delidding videos on youtube and you will see you hardly need any conductonaut at all. If you use to much just suck it back into the tube using the needle

Soldato
They're not capacitors on the 8700k, they're just contacts for test purposes. Liquid metal conducts electricity so you need to insulate those pads. It will be obvious when the IHS is off which ones they are, but it's still worth watching a few videos first.

Associate
In terms of nail polish, is it any clear one or are we looking for a specific ingredient in concentration? I've got some Thermal Grizzly LM left from doing my PS4 pro and I only used high temp tape to cover around the die. Would prefer the nail polish way so thought I'd ask.

Soldato
In terms of nail polish, is it any clear one or are we looking for a specific ingredient in concentration? I've got some Thermal Grizzly LM left from doing my PS4 pro and I only used high temp tape to cover around the die. Would prefer the nail polish way so thought I'd ask.
Literally anything, it's just an insulation. I use coloured polish so I can see when it's sealed the contacts. Thin coats will dry faster, and personally I'd leave it 24+ hours for any solvents to evaporate

Associate
Yeah use a colour so its easier to see. Your only covering the 3 tiny connections so just use a tiny bit over them. Give it 5 min to dry.

Associate
Ah ok - didn't know if there was just one particular chemical that was more desirable. Will def bear that in mind, probably need to open up the Pro and check the application in a few months too. So will add it there.

Back
Top Bottom