which is the best Touchscreen Phone right now?

Soldato
You can view iPlayer and Youtube content just fine on an iPhone. It doesn't need flash.

You can call me a massive Apple fanboi if you like, but you'd be wrong. I've only had the thing 6 weeks, and it was bought to replace a busted old iPod.

There's not a single website I use that requires flash. The one's that work better with it installed eg Youtube and iPlayer have apps available so it's invalid point.

I could call you an flash loving Android fanboi, but I won't.

Which is where you're completely wrong, because your so called Apple YouTube application only has a small % of YouTube video's that have been encoded to support the iPhone4.

Even the Android YouTube application doesn't contain all the YouTube content, but least I can get into Androids browser and load the YouTube desktop website and view all the video's on YouTube that way.

Last edited:
Soldato
Surely a personal phone will always get used more for multimedia etc than a work phone?! :eek:

I have a free work phone with unlimted data, calls, etc so would use that over my personal one. At the moment I don't even have a personal one, but when I receive my new phone I will be putting the work sim into that one :D

The work one is a Nokia E71 and it's just awful :(

Caporegime
I have to say that of all the screens currently available, I prefer that of the iPhone 4. It really 'pops' and is absolutely pin sharp beautiful. With the other 'big two' I can see pixelation even at normal viewing distance.

If only I could take: the interface of the Desire, the screen size of the Galaxy, and the screen quality of the iPhone.

Man of Honour
I have to say that of all the screens currently available, I prefer that of the iPhone 4. It really 'pops' and is absolutely pin sharp beautiful. With the other 'big two' I can see pixelation even at normal viewing distance.

If only I could take: the interface of the Desire, the screen size of the Galaxy, and the screen quality of the iPhone.

Agreed, I do like the AMOLED screens but the iPhone 4 is just on another level entirely.

Soldato
I've just nabbed a mates iPhone 4 for a few days :) Just checking out angry birds vs angry birds :p

The iPhone screen pops more because its closer to the surface too (not a fan of the recessed panel on the desire, feels like your looking well inside the phone at certain angles)

I'd take the colour/saturation from the oled/amoled, glass from the iPhone and a 4" screen size. Xvga is fine for me but would never say no to more pixels, preferably in a slcd layout (I usually view at arms length and can't really see the extra pixels)

Soldato
What happens when you try and browse flash-based sites?

Well none of the websites I ever visit use flash and in my experience all the ones which do use flash are **** anyway.

Flash games doesn't matter as native run better anyway and besides how the hell do you use a mouse based game without.. a mouse!?

Youtube/iPlayer works natively using H264.

Flash on a phone is not something I will actively seek out.

Besides, jailbreak your phone and install it from Cydia and see how **** it runs :p

Caporegime
Well none of the websites I ever visit use flash and in my experience all the ones which do use flash are **** anyway.

Flash games doesn't matter as native run better anyway and besides how the hell do you use a mouse based game without.. a mouse!?

Youtube/iPlayer works natively using H264.

Flash on a phone is not something I will actively seek out.

Besides, jailbreak your phone and install it from Cydia and see how **** it runs :p

If that's genuinely true then that's not a problem for you, which is great. But one day you might click a link to a flash-based site and get a big red X or whatever it shows, and think 'grrrr'. Or, you may not.

But I still have to wonder whether iPhone 4 users don't need Flash sites, or just avoid them subconsciously as they can't face the fact that they paid 20% more than everyone else for something that doesn't even play Flash properly :p.

Soldato
But I still have to wonder whether iPhone 4 users don't need Flash sites, or just avoid them subconsciously as they can't face the fact that they paid 20% more than everyone else for something that doesn't even play Flash properly :p.

Are you still banging that drum...

The facts:

* Some people "need" flash
* Some people couldn't care less about flash

For both requirements there are a selection of phones, and people most of the time choose accordingly.

Let's not get into silly fanboy comments about the cost and iPhone users being in denial etc... etc... it's pointless and adds nothing to the conversation apart from an attempt to wind people up. So shall we move on and keep things factual? :)

Soldato
I've used both Android and iOS and I can't for the life of my think of a website that uses Flash extensively that I've needed to use. Hell, I can't even think of one off the top of my head that I've ever needed to use.

I appreciate need to is a world away from like to but I can't help but think the whole Android v iOS Flash thing is a non-issue. What websites are you visiting that the rest of us aren't?!

Soldato
So in our unscientific survey and counting using man maths and the fingers of my left hand we have :

People who can't survive without Flash = 1 (Robbie G)
People who don't really see the need for flash at all = 5 (everyone else - all wrong according to Robbie G).

Robbie - would you care to enlighten us with an example of a flash only site you can't do without?

Associate
Another vote for the Desire. Best phone I've ever owned by a long long way. I'd rather sidestep the android vs. osx argument by saying that both have some amazing abilities, but the ability to tinker with my Desire as much or as little as I choose really does it for me.

+1 for HTC Desire , had iphone also , personal preference is the Desire , i like to 'Tinker' too ;)

I had been missing Angry Birds until the Android Beta came out a couple of weeks ago though ;)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You can easily get by without Flash, there are very few sites where not having it would be a problem (that people use often, dont start being smart arses :p).

That said, it is obviously beneficial to have it and I would personally rather have it than not, but its not a deal breaker in any way for most people.

Soldato
So in our unscientific survey and counting using man maths and the fingers of my left hand we have :

People who can't survive without Flash = 1 (Robbie G)
People who don't really see the need for flash at all = 5 (everyone else - all wrong according to Robbie G).

Robbie - would you care to enlighten us with an example of a flash only site you can't do without?

I'm a BBC news/sport fanboi, it's the only website I really browse during the day, always have done, always will.

Using an iPhone to browse the site over the last 3 years was great, going from the mobile version (1st gen) to downloading the full site (3g, not fast but good enough to access the feature articles etc)

I've only had a desire for 2 months (less with the 10.1 update) but wow what a difference! :cool::cool::cool::cool:
Listening to audio interviews whilst reading the story, access to the full video clips page, live stream + analysis when something big happens (tested it out during the popes visit :cool:) and much more.

The performance is decent with nothing else running and flash set to 'on demand'. Actually, it's a bit smoother than my Atom n450 powered netbook :D

Sorry guys but using safari is like stepping back in time on that site. Given the great hardware on the iPhone 4 (and the ability to choose which 'flash boxes' you want to view) I genuinely can't understand why anyone here wouldn't want the option for safari? :confused::confused::confused: (This is a tech forum right? I'm sure you could all find the 'turn flash off' option in the settings menu if you hate it so much? ;))

It reminds me of everyone slating the iPhone 4s ffc/facetime...

Back
Top Bottom