Which is the better PSU?

Soldato
OP
Sorry. Should have said what I'm running.

i7-920
Gigabyte UD5
Patriot Viper RAM - 6GB
Zotac GTX 275 AMP! Edition x 2
Creative X-Fi Titanium soundcard
3 SATA hard drives
7 case fans
Fan controller
DVD drive

Well, I'm not sure if I would need 1000W or not. The Corsair site says, for an overclocked i7 and two GTX 275s than you would need 1000W. But some people say only 850W would be more than enough.

Also, I know both the be quiet! and Corsairs are good, but I want opinions from people who use them =)

I have read reviews on both. They all get very good reviews. Hence the confusion.

Soldato
thats not entirely helpfull is it , i thought this is what this forum is for, to ask questions and get peoples views on the matter, not to go tell people to search;)

I would have thought professional reviews where they do scientific tests on noise level, amperage, consistancy, and power load would be more helpful when spending £100+ on a PSU, than what company people on a forum have a preferance for. But hey, some people just have money to **** away eh.

Soldato
OP
I would have thought professional reviews where they do scientific tests on noise level, amperage, consistancy, and power load would be more helpful when spending £100+ on a PSU, than what company people on a forum have a preferance for. But hey, some people just have money to **** away eh.

I have read reviews like I said. They all get good reviews. But reviews cannot give the opinion of people who use it all the time.

Associate
Personally i have a 1000hx but to be honest i would be equally as happy with the bequiets too as i have nothing but good things about both.

As for scientific reviews there good for narrowing down which ones are technically better but your right user experience is also a big factor and confidence boost in helping you make the right decision.

The Corsair 1000HX has won numerous reviews and performs at well above its rated level at temps well above the stated 50 degree celcius.

I personally always try and get the best i can for my money and i would say go for the 1000W as with new things round the corner your gonna need it......i hear larrabee uses loads of power ;)

Soldato
OP

I rather resent that comment. I don't have money to **** away. I want to buy the best PSU I possibly can. Reviews are helpful yes, but it's nothing without the thoughts of people who use these PSUs everyday for their PC.

I would rather spend a bit more on a PSU and know it will be good, than spend a bit less, and have it blow up and take out my PC with it.

Soldato
I rather resent that comment. I don't have money to **** away. I want to buy the best PSU I possibly can. Reviews are helpful yes, but it's nothing without the thoughts of people who use these PSUs everyday for their PC.

I would rather spend a bit more on a PSU and know it will be good, than spend a bit less, and have it blow up and take out my PC with it.

exactly why reviews matter more on PSUs than user experience. If a lot of users have something good to say about a PSU, but then in several reviews when the PSU is put under extreme loads it's efficieny drops signifigantly, it's amperage is all over the place and it becomes unstable - then I'm not going to buy it. Majority of users might never haved reached higher loads and so have never experienced this, but a review can tell me which are the better built and more stable PSUs overall with these tests, regardless of what users say.

Soldato
OP
Yes, I accept that. But did you not read that I had already read reviews on both of the 1000W PSUs. They both received very good reviews, so I thought, as a final factor, I would ask people here. I generally trust people's opinions and experiences on these forums.

Soldato

and you believe these so called professional reviews are not biased at all :rolleyes:

Soldato
OP
I think I am leaning towards the Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 1000W PSU.

I like the look of it, has good reviews, seems reliable etc. Also, the sleeving on the modular cables seems to be very good also.

Caporegime
Maidinhead has a very good point regarding psu's, to me the psu is the most important component you can put in your rig, if you buy a bad psu and it goes boom, theres a very good chance it will take other components with it, my advice with psu's is, its better to be looking at the wattage that may be required as opposed to be looking for it, buy a good psu from a reputable manufacturer, im currently on a thermaltake toughpowwer 750w, which is basically a corsair 750tx, cant fault it at all, powers my current rig at a breeze, but i know if i ever add any more bits its capable of coping, only problem with it is that it aint modular.

Back
Top Bottom