1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which laser printer?

Discussion in 'Printers' started by George Hincapie, Sep 16, 2012.

1. George Hincapie

Banned

Need a decent laser mono printer for home use, any recommendations?

2. weeroo

Gangster

whats your budget?

3. weeroo

Gangster

4. PhillyDee

Capodecina

What sort of volume?

Anything will do for low volume really! I used an el cheapo HP (£80) for a year or so. Only when I started running my business from home did I go for something better. In this case it was an ex workgroup HP1320DNT (Auto-Duplex, network and extra tray) with only 4K pages on its clock for £80 (plus £20 for the extra tray which is great for labels and A4 plain on the same printer.)

5. weeroo

Gangster

did you ever use reman toners? because the higher yields in the originals are quite expencive.

6. PhillyDee

Capodecina

Thats all I use. £18 or so for 6K pages (projected)

7. Vadersoul

Associate

Realistically going Laser for home printing is a bad idea unless you consider doing a lot of volume.

The extra speed isn't worth the overall increased running costs.

Aside from HP (where the drums are 99% of the time built into the toner) you are looking at replacing the drums 5 times as often as the Toner and the Fuser will need replacing out as well after time.

Not to mention that general maintenance like replacing rollers and such can be annoying too.

If it really is your solution then there are plenty of entry level £100-£200 machines out there. I would go HP because they are a lot more reliable than most.

You want to consider however the running cost more than the actual outlay for the machine.

If you plan to do 5,000 prints a month, thats 60,000 a year. If the Toner costs £100 for a 3,000 print cartridge thats £2000 running cost for the year. So whilst a £100 machine might seem a steal, it will end up costing more in the long run.

However if you invest more, say £500-£750 or so you could get a machine that handles 5,000 or 10,000 print cartridges and the overall running cost would be brought down quite a bit.

In general terms with laser printers you get the following

Low usage = cheap printer = low yield cartridges
    high usage = expensive printer = higher yield cartridges

I wouldn't go laser unless your usage demands it.

That being said, for general purpose printing, if it be ink or laser, if you are replacing the cartridges more often than once a month then you need a better printer. If its less than that, you are either fine or you could probably have seen a downgraded printer treat you just as well.

So there really is no point having a printer that does 1,000 pages to a cartridge if you do 100 pages a month but if with the same machine you are printing out 2,000 + pages a month you really should consider upgrading.

Source : Over 6 years in the IT industry selling printers and printer consumables

8. horrorwood

Wise Guy

What is everyone's thoughts on the Dell 1250c? It uses LED printing and not laser, so it is a lot smaller. There are cheap toners available for it too.

I bought mine as I was fed up with inkjet printers blocking. I don't use it that much, just a couple of pages a day but I highly recommend it.