Which lenses for New York trip

Associate
Off to the big apple next week for a week of sightseeing and photography hopefully everything will be alright after sandy has done her worst and unsure which lenses to take.

Taking my D800 looking at taking these lenses, what you think?

14-24mm f2.8 ------------ for most wide angle shots
24mm f1.4 --------------- for night shots
28-300mm f3.5-f5.6 ------ for all other occasions

really dont want to take to many lenses as we plan on doing a lot of walking.

other lenses available to take are

35mm f1.4
50mm f1.4
85mm f1.4
24-70mm f2.8
70-200mm f2.8

plus have my trusty old D7000 with the 18-105vr and 70-300vr

did think about going lightweight with above but wanted quality

another quickie as i will be shooting everything in raw and im not taking a laptop for back up storage will 6 16gig cards be enough? i dont want to run out towards the back end of the trip, mind you if i do thats the excuse i need to go to B & H

Associate
I think you're carrying way too much to be honest.

You could narrow it down to 35+85 really, but the best thing to do is to just take the 35. When I went to Manila earlier this year I just shot with a Leica+35/2 and a 75/3.5 on my Rolleiflex (which was on a 6x6 so roughly 40-50mm), never needed the extra reach and it gave the set of images I took a very consistent feel that more closely reflected what I saw there day to day. I did carry my Ricoh GRDIII around for snapshots though, the whole kit was quite light and made the trip far more enjoyable than schlepping a bunch of bodies plus lenses about. Here's a good set from NYC with just a 35.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I would do 14-24, 35 and 70-200. I am not a fan of the middle ground at all and try to avoid. Occasionally something is needed and so a smaller prime fits the needs for some portrait work. Plus 35mm is a classic street photography focal length.

Associate
I think your picks are fine, you wont really use the 300mm end much, the longest I took was 250mm (on 1.6 crop mind) and used it literally once or twice, the rest was under 100mm
You might be able to get away with the 14-24 and 24-70 if you are doing cityscape/street stuff.

Good luck, I think its still in a state of chaos over there, I read some parts of outer areas like Brooklyn & NJ may not get power back for 2 weeks yet(!).

Check out this guys stuff : http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanbudhu/

Associate
OP
Cheers for all the replies.

when we went to germany to visit bergen/belsen and hanover in the summer with just the 28-300mm i found myself wanting/needing a faster lens on quite a few occasions especially late in the evening/night so this time i dont want to go un-prepared

think i might squeeze the 35mm and 70-200mm in there as well and get the wife to carry them, lol

btw raymond how did you find the tryp hotel? we have booked into the same one after reading one of the posts about hotels in new york.

those are cracking shots crafty

Caporegime
TRYP is a great hotel, good location (huge police station on the same street so quite safe), walking distance to Time Square, Madison Sq Garden, Macy's and Broadway. B&H is round the corner too. The rooms are very nice, we got upgraded to a premium room and had a mini kitchen, even our own coffee machine.

One thing I found expensive was the breakfast on offer, it's about $20 a head so we only did it once and went to Starbucks after that.

Associate
Tripod.. not totally sure if its worth it. Empire State will take them off of you, Top of the rock don't like them either. I took a gorillapod to use at night up there (plenty of plinths to stand it on up there), it was very quiet so I asked the guard and he was fine with it but I'm not sure they'd like you using a full size one. Empire state took it off me once they saw it on the x-ray.

Lots of people don't like them being used on the street and from what I read you may be moved on by NYPD.
On the other hand if you were tucked out of the way somewhere no-one will ever know I guess.

Hmm, not sure that pass is worth it, $85 bucks for one day... going by their prices:
Empire State $25
TOTR $25
Liberty & Ellis Island $17
$67.

You'd be hard pressed to do all of that in a day without rushing around like an idiot. Getting on the ferry to the islands is basically the same as getting on an aircraft - full security control - x ray scanners etc, so may take a while if its busy, Empire state quicker but there are similar controls and both it and TOTR has stuff to read/look at on the way up...

I guess you might save if you want to do lots of the stuff on the list and get a 3 day one but I'm not sure its the bargain they try to make out.

We bought our Empire state/Top of the rock tickets from the official sites before we left here.

Associate
OP
Cheers again for the replies.

We have bought the new york city pass when it was on offer and its valid for 9 days from our first day there so will have plenty of time to use all the vouchers in the booklet and we will save quite a bit in the process.

Think i might do the same and take my gorillapod as well, especially for the TOTR and ESB if i can get it past security and if we get a chance to visit the Bronx Zoo.

After i looked at all the hotel mentioned on the ocuk forum posting of new york hotels i looked at the locations and prices and like you Raymond i chose the tryp as i thought it offered the best bang for buck. and that's good to know about the breakfasts.

Did anyone go onto the Intrepid museum? as i trying to convince the wife its not just for big boys, lol

Any idea on the memory cards ? will 6 * 16Gig be enough, i also have a few 4 & 8 gigs knocking around if needed.

Soldato
Cheers again for the replies.

We have bought the new york city pass when it was on offer and its valid for 9 days from our first day there so will have plenty of time to use all the vouchers in the booklet and we will save quite a bit in the process.

Think i might do the same and take my gorillapod as well, especially for the TOTR and ESB if i can get it past security and if we get a chance to visit the Bronx Zoo.

After i looked at all the hotel mentioned on the ocuk forum posting of new york hotels i looked at the locations and prices and like you Raymond i chose the tryp as i thought it offered the best bang for buck. and that's good to know about the breakfasts.

Did anyone go onto the Intrepid museum? as i trying to convince the wife its not just for big boys, lol

Any idea on the memory cards ? will 6 * 16Gig be enough, i also have a few 4 & 8 gigs knocking around if needed.

Simple solution to get the wife to visit the intrepid museum is to trade it with something she wants to do that you really don't, if she is a friends or sex in the city fan offer to visit a few of the locations used in the filming if you can make a trip to Intrepid museum.

6*16GB should be more than enough your only going for a little over a week and it's not a holiday where the only thing your going to do is take photos. I'd also recomend some serious deleting if your even thinking you'll take enough photos to fill those cards, spend half an hour every evening deleting the real stinkers and you will not only make the cards go further but save yourself a world of pain when you get home!

Associate

I'm heading to New York tomorrow for a week. Unfortunately Sandy's effects are still being felt.

The USS Intrepid is closed due to damage to the visitor centre. A bit of a bummer as this was on my 'to do' list.

Also the Ground Zero museum and site is closed along with the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.

Regarding Memory cards, I am only taking 5 x 4gig cards for my D700. Thats roughly 750 raw files, more than enough for me. I am also travelling light with just the D700 and 24-85 and a 35mm f2 for low light stuff.

Associate
Don't forget to visit DUMBO ;)

Cross the BB to get skyline shots.
dumbo_tt_map_800.jpg

Associate
I was planning to get the subway across and walk back into manhattan across the Brooklyn bridge. What's Dumbo like? Worth visiting?

I'll maybe have to forget that one, looks like a lot of the local businesses suffered storm damage and are closed.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Have a good time with your visit Strax, i go in less than a week so hopefully things might have changed a bit by then, really wanted to visit ground zero.

we are doing similar getting the subway across and walking back across the bridge.

from what i have seen a visit to dumbo is worth while if nothing else just to take those iconic photo of the bridge from street level.

cheers for the card info, i wasn't going to delete many pics as i have done that in the past and regretted it, would prefer to wait till i got home to view on the big screen before i decide unless is a disaster.

Back
Top Bottom