Which Mem card to improve High speed shooting issue

Associate
I have a canon 60D and having recently taken it to cad west found that I have an issue wih my high speed shooting

frames/second should be 5.3/second, which I do acheive, however I only get 5 frames at this rate, as indicated by the display in the bottom right of the VF and as experienced when shooting. After that it pauses for what seems like an age and then drops to low speed shooting speed

I think it's caused by the memory card which is a panasonic SDHC 8GB cat 4.

Is this the cause of the issue?
what card should I get to remedy (value for money please)
if not the problem, what is

all advice appreciated

Associate
I think it's caused by the memory card which is a panasonic SDHC 8GB cat 4.

Your first 5 (or so) pictures fill your buffer. The speed of those is limited by the camera. You can't take any more till the camera has flushed at least one of the images to your card. At that point, you become limited by the speed of the card.

According to the wiki, Class 4 is at least 2 MB/sec. Panasonic co up to Class 10 at 10MB/s

Have a look at Sandisk Extreme Pro. You'll pay for the privelage but they are rated for up to 95MB/s. I use their CF cards and swear by them.

Andrew

Soldato
I know have a canon but go to Tesco or elsewhere and have a look at Nphoto
they test lots of sd card in the latest issue.
the one that came out tops was the Lexar pro uhs-1
the Sandisk Extreme Pro SD card wont get anywhere near 95mb/s more like 35-40mb/s and that's in a card reader in the camera you can knock 10mb/s off that

Associate
Don't waste your money on the pro version your camera will never write at 95 mbs

What do you base that assertion on?

The 60D has an 18 Megapixel sensor. With 14 bits per pixel. It shoots at 5.3 frames per second.

That means that the Digic 4 is reading info off the sensor at a rate of at least

(18,000,000 x 14 x 5.3)/(8 x 1024 x 1024) = 159MByte/second

The Digic does lossless compression on the fly to try to cope with the fact that the output device is so slow.

The (compressed) raw images are around 25MB each, so to be able to keep up with the processor, the card would need to manage 5.3 x 25 = 132MByte/s

95MByte/s isn't quite there but it is a lot better than 10MByte/s

I run a 1Ds3, an older camera with a Digic 3. It unquestionably benefits from fast cards.

The SD card interface standard is good for circa 100MByte/s (actually 832Mbit/sec) I would be astounded if Canon doesn't support that rate.

Andrew

Soldato
I can't speak of Compact Flash card, but there is a noticable difference in cheap vs branded SD cards. I'm not a speed benchmarker so speeds were never really an issue for me but cheap SD cards cards started to crack, or split down the seams very quickly where as any branded card I had still looked OK.

EDIT: I remember seeing a actual test between different speed rated CF cards, and there was a noticable difference up to 60MB/s cards, but not a massive jump for 90MB/s cards - not enough to warrant the jump in price.
Trying to find it but struggling, but I did find this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uWwc2VCEgc

Last edited:
Soldato
manual says "SDHC and SDXC cards featuring UHS (Ultra High Speed) enable a maximum writing speed of SD Speed Class 10".

Canon recommends a Class 6 card or faster for recording HD movies. UHS-I compliant cards are supported, but the camera does not take advantage of their increased bus speeds.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ok well I am now the proud owner of a Sandisk Extreme pro SDHC 16GB (95MB/s.

bad news is that the "max burst counter" on the lower right side of my viewfinder remains resolutely at 5. In practice just banging of a few frames in high speed it slows down after after about 9 frames,after which it slows right down, which is pretty crap as it's not really any better than before

Am I missing something here????

Caporegime
If you are shooting Raw 14bits then that MIT simply be the limit of the camera. In situations where you really need speed and buffer then shoot in Jpeg.

Soldato
Yeah, you've hit the buffer limit on the camera, even with a super quick card like you've purchased, its not going to change that.

Like D.P. says though, if you need the real speed, such as for shooting sports or something, going jpeg and possibly reducing resolution if not necessary will let you shoot until the cows come home, versus RAW.

Associate
I've used Transcend SDHC cards in the past, never had a problem and speed is fine. I use their CF cards now and they are fine too. Worth a look as they appear to be good quality for a sensible price.

I have a sandisk card in my phone, works fine in the phone but is crap if I ever plug it in to my laptop or media machine, no matter how I do it (via the phone, card reader or using the card reader built in to my laptop).

Soldato
Ok well I am now the proud owner of a Sandisk Extreme pro SDHC 16GB (95MB/s.

bad news is that the "max burst counter" on the lower right side of my viewfinder remains resolutely at 5. In practice just banging of a few frames in high speed it slows down after after about 9 frames,after which it slows right down, which is pretty crap as it's not really any better than before

Am I missing something here????

I didn't think it would make any difference after reading the spec from canon that I posted ^^^

Associate
OP
Hi If only this was just caused by RAW shooting. the problem i'm describing happenswithjpeg andthe performance stays thesame even if I shoot in lower res. Strangely it also doesn't get any worse if I shoot RAW.

to further depress me Itried my wifes 500D and although it's frame rat is a fraction slower it keeps that rate up till the cows come home, long after mine has slowed to a plod

Is this acamera fault

any other 60D folk out there????

Back
Top Bottom