Which of these tvs is the best?

Associate
Television Picture Quality:

High Definition Ready.

Integrated digital (freeview).

32in (81cm) widescreen TV with 80.1cm visible screen size.

Resolution 1366 x 768 pixels.

Brightness 500cd/m2.

Contrast ratio 15,000:1

Viewing angle 178/178.

Progressive scan.

Connectivity:

3 HDMI sockets.

2 SCART sockets.

Component video socket.

Composite.

Headphone socket.

Rear AV sockets (side and rear).

Sound Quality:

SRS Trusurround XT.

7 x 7W RMS power output.

Freeview Features:
LG 32in 32LG3000 HD Ready Digital LCD

Digitally interactive.

Digital text

Digital video broadcasting (DVB) subtitles available.

RF loop.

Auto setup.

Auto scan for new channels.

Now and Next electronic programme guide.

Electronic programme guide.

8 day electronic programme guide.

Additional Features:

Teletext.

Fastext.

UHF tuner.

Auto setup.

Auto search tuner.

Auto search sorting.

Auto search labelling.

Sleep timer.

Child lock.

Remote control requires 2 x AAA batteries (included).

230V AC mains operated.

Size of TV (H)54.4, (W)80.2, (D)7.9cm.

Size of TV and stand (H)59.9, (W)80.2, (D)22.8cm.

Weight of TV 11.5kg.

Weight of TV and stand 13.2g.

Suitable for wall mounting (brackets not included

BRAND = LG

OR

Samsung 26in LE26A457C1DX HD Digital LCD

Television Picture Quality.

High Definition Ready.

Integrated digital (freeview).

26in (66cm) widescreen TV with 66cm visible screen size.

Resolution 1366 x 768.

Contrast ratio 5000:1.

Viewing angle 170 degrees.

Connectivity.

3 HDMI socket.

2 SCART sockets.

Component video socket.

Composite.

Headphone socket.

Rear AV socket.

Sound Quality.

Nicam

2 x 10w RMS power output.

Freeview Features.

Digitally interactive.

Digital text

Digital audio broadcasting (DAB)

Digital video broadcasting (DVB) subtitles available.

RF loop.

Auto setup.

Auto scan for new channels.

Now and Next electronic programme guide.

Electronic programme guide.

Additional Features.

Teletext.

UHF tuner.

Auto setup.

Auto search tuner.

Auto search sorting.

Auto search labelling.

Sleep timer.

Supplied with table top stand

Remote control requires 2 x AAA batteries supplied.

230v AC mains operated.

Size of TV (H)45.1, (W)67, (D)9.0cms.

Size of TV and stand (H)50.4, (W)67. (D)21.6cms.

Weight of TV 8.3kg.

Weight of TV and stand 9.7kg.

Suitable for wall mounting (brackets not supplied).

Last edited:
Associate
There is only one way to find out -

FIGHT

sorry, i couldn't resist.

I would go for the LG myself but you should look at some reviews (maybe go over to avforum.com and have a look there)

Soldato
LG = Bigger & better contrast ratio.

= Sweet F.A !

Also, please post model numbers and what you want from a tv rather than a stupidly long specsheet. The sheet doesn't mean anything to me, other than a load of useless specs froma manufacturer :p

Permabanned
= Sweet F.A !

Also, please post model numbers and what you want from a tv rather than a stupidly long specsheet. The sheet doesn't mean anything to me, other than a load of useless specs froma manufacturer :p

Of course size and contrast ratio mean nothing, how stupid of me!!

I assume your TV has got a 1/2 inch screen with a -0.0025:1 contrast ratio?

Last edited:
Soldato
Of course size and contrast ratio mean nothing, how stupid of me!!

I assume your TV has got a 1/2 inch screen with a -0.0025:1 contrast ratio?

Stop looking at numbers in a spec sheet, they are usless when actually comparing the picture quality of sets as they are wild number quoted by the manufactuere and cannot be directly compared. Plus they are given as the absolute max when they never get near to those values in the slightest.

That example is just plain silly.

Have a read up of the tv reviews on avforums and hdtvtest.co.uk to learn a little more.

Permabanned
Stop looking at numbers in a spec sheet, they are usless when actually comparing the picture quality of sets as they are wild number quoted by the manufactuere and cannot be directly compared. Plus they are given as the absolute max when they never get near to those values in the slightest.

Have a read up of the tv reviews on avforums and hdtvtest.co.uk to learn a little more.

Mate I think it is you that needs to go to "TV School".

It is exactly these "wild" numbers: Contrast Ratio, size, viewing angle, resolution etc., which contribute to the overall picture quality of a TV, and as such can be used to make a reasonable comparison between 2 TVs. And seeing as most of the specs were similar in this case I chose the LG because it is 6" bigger and has a superior contrast ratio.

I do take your point however that you should actually check the picture quality in person to make the best judgement but, as this was not possible for me in this case I decided to use the specs to make my preference and advise the OP. Hope that's OK?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Mate I think it is you that needs to go to "TV School".

It is exactly these "wild" numbers: Contrast Ratio, size, viewing angle, resolution etc., which contribute to the overall picture quality of a TV, and as such can be used to make a reasonable comparison between 2 TVs.

you appear to be under the misapprehension that measurement of contrast ratio and such like is a definitive measurement in exactly the same way that 55 litres, is nothing other than 55 litres

contrast ratio can be grossly overstated, with the real contrast ratio you'll see on screen once properly calibrated nothing like the claims. Sometimes they quote the "dynamic contrast ratio" which again, will only be available on some particular colours, some of the time. Its widely acknowledged that these figures are pure fabrication and as such should be ignored when comparing sets.

to all intents and purposes, the figures are lies. You need to properly calibrate the set to D65 colour reproduction, then measure to get a true figure of its real contrast ratio. But manufacturers dont quote this, they quote the highest available number to look good on paper. Its also quote likely this conrast ratio can only be achieved on their "shop demo" mode, with widly inaccurate colour reproduction.

Its like cheap Hi Fis quoting 1000 watts from a £100 hifi. They're numbers that look good on a spec sheet, and not an accurate representation of quality, as the figures can meaured in such a way to flatter the set. The actual real figures you experience in your own room are far different

Incidentally, whats the contrast ratio on your tv once its properly calibrated ?

Last edited:
Soldato

+1

Go out and demo the sets for yourself before you make any decision. Just judging by looking at the paper specs is a bad idea.

Also take the online reviews with a pinch of salt... horses for courses etc :o

Soldato
My opinion: you need to read reviews and user opinions and if possible, view the TV before buying.

Simply using numbers and specifications, will give you virtually not idea of which has better image quality. The best example I can give you is when you get 1080p LCDTVs getting beaten (in image quality tests), by Pioneer and Panasonic 720p plasma TVs.

Soldato
mmmmmm I prefer my 600M :D

dscf3431medium.jpg

Sorry - couldn't resist :D

Permabanned
you appear to be under the misapprehension that measurement of contrast ratio and such like is a definitive measurement in exactly the same way that 55 litres, is nothing other than 55 litres

Incidentally, whats the contrast ratio on your tv once its properly calibrated ?

I am under no misapprehensions, I am fully aware that manufacturers using different techniques to measure their contrast ratios and the like, and as such can be often be misleading. However, in the case than was presented to me with the OP asking a simple question - "Which one would you buy", I gave my answer based on size & contrast ratio (as all other specs seemed entirely similar) because these are the things that matter to me (along with other factors - price etc). Some guy the proceeds to infer that I know nothing and that neither of these factors mean anything. Like I have said, I know these things are never exact sciences but with the evidence that was presented to me I made my judgement.

You will also noticed that I admitted that the best way to judge would be an "in-store" viewing test.

To answer your question, I do not know what my contrast ratio is but my TV is a Sony BRAVIA KDL40W2000 and I'm very happy with it.

Last edited:
Soldato
You will also noticed that I admitted that the best way to judge would be an "in-store" viewing test.

Believe it or not, I would disagree with that statement. If possible, by all means try seeing the TV before you buy. However, in most showrooms, the TVs are not setup correctly and do not allow you to make an informed choice or fair comparison.

Hence, an in-store viewing test is not the best way to judge a telly.

Back
Top Bottom