• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which one of these cards is better?

Soldato
Its a very close run thing, if the GTX 260 is the 216 core edition then they are basically equal in performance. They trade wins in different games, but there isn't much in it.

Associate
The ati 4890 is about the same price and generally considered faster so you may want to consider this although I had one and would have been happy with it if it wasn't for the noise.

mechanical fan noise and capacitor squeel. OcUK kindly gave me a refund. Waiting to see what happens next.

Associate
OP
I am currenyly runnig a 1GB 4870. what should I go for next?

or should I wait for the new Nvidia and ATI 5000 series cards with Directx 11 support?

Caporegime
Yeah wait for ATis next cards, their 5 series are due on Wednesday, while Nvidia's are not due till around next March or something, and no point going to a 260 from a 4870 if you already have one, as its just a sidestep, you'll get no performance increase at all doing that, as both are around equal :)

Soldato
If your motherboard is crossfire capable and your PSU is up to scratch you could always add a second 4870. The price of these cards is now just dipping under £100 (for the 1GB version), so its a pretty good value upgrade.

Though I would really wait for the DX11 cards launch, just to see if prices are pushed further down. The DX11 cards themselves seem to be rather good, ATI just released some info that the 5850 will be 1.2-1.4 times faster than the GTX 285 in a wide range of current games. But I guess we need to wait for launch to see how much these will cost to get hold of.

Associate
OP
ATI prices are always very reasonable and thier performance better so I am looking forward to the new gard.

I bought the 4870 for £250 when it was new anyway and that seemsed cheap then lol lol

if anyone wants it let me know ;)

Associate
I bought the 4870 for £250 when it was new anyway and that seemsed cheap then lol lol

I bougt for £170+ delivery on sale HD4870 in good days, and was so happy too, that got so cheap :D

As for a CARDS, used to have both: my vote goes to GTX260 216 simply because of physiX, it's not that important, but on some games (mirrors edge, batman,etc.) Physix add cream to a pie.

Back
Top Bottom