Which option for UHD Bluray

Soldato
Think it's a matter or preference. With an LG oled you probably want one that will play back Dolby vision like the sony x700 or oppo 203 or the lg one that does, will probably be quieter than a console, though I don't really hear or notice my Xbox one X. As I had the console that's what I use for playback. Netflix just got Dolby vision update on it so hopefully 4k Blu-ray's will too in the near future.

Associate
I was just looking at UHD blu ray players the other night. Certianly is a premium product, 129 seems to be the lowest price from the big names, but you wonder what is missing from those.

I reckon I'll see what comes up in the cursed black death friday sales in Novemeber. Get myself a bundle. Get yourself a bundle too if you can wait.

Soldato
I used the Sony X800 with that TV.

Player was very quiet, picture quality was excellent, has Ethernet and WiFi, some apps are included, you can plug in a USB hard disk and play files from that also but the TV can already do that as you are probably aware.

Soldato
Very simple question, dedicated player or get a gaming console that does UHD playback?

Budget wise can go to £500. TV wise, will be connected to an LG 55" OLED

Owning an LG oled, panasonic ub900 and a Xbox one x I think I can comment on this lol.

If * you can only afford one and like to game the Xbox is the option. BUT... if you want the best PQ for movies and don't game that much the dedicated player is the one to pick. At your budget I'd go the Panasonic ub 820. But if you don't want dolby vision the Ub900 is an amizing player. And great at cds / hi def music on USB.

Soldato
I recently got an x700 - I tried it with The Shallows and honestly on a 55 OLED I could barely tell the difference between UHD and Bluray upscaled.
I need to try a few more, but if they come back disappointing my advice would be to get something like an Apple TV.

Soldato
You stream a 4k movie.. .. From experience anything fast movie the picture will suffer. I watched interstellar last night in "4k" stream via rakuten. The scene on earth where the missile is flying around .... The judder around the missile is VERY noticeable.

Soldato
I have the x700 and love it compared to the Xbox s.

The DV update ATM is a bit of a shambles. you have to have to switch it to DV in the options which disables 3D then turn it off for non DV films lol.

It will do untill the whole HDR Vs DV settles.

Soldato
I have a ub700. Amazing.

For me dedicated all the way. There is no concern around hdr and DV. HDR will always be supported fully, even on a disc that is DV.

DV is better, but not a massive leap compared to non HDR to HDR.

Of course I'd rather have DV than not, but I don't lose sleep as I know HDR will not die on the UHD format, it's part of the standard.

Associate
OP
Missed all the replies as was away sorry.

Thanks for the advice, but in the end have decided to go for the Apple TV 4K. Looking at the price comparisons for the actual films was the clincher for me. They are cheaper from what I have seen so far and also it saves on cluttering my house up with discs.

Tried it out last night (not on OLED but a normal 4K) and all looked good. Only issue that I found was that panning scenes and sometimes in standard scenes it was very juddery. From a quick bit of research seems it was down to the resolution of the Apple box. I did have it set at 4K 60 Hz and had enabled the option for it to change resolution to match the source, but it did not seem to do that. Went into settings, changed it to 4K 24 and all was good.

Will also be able to use this as the hub for my home automation too, so has a fair few plus points for me.

Again, thanks all for the time taken to offer advice and views

Soldato
Personally I'd never commit all my 4k purchases to streaming. Too reliant on having all coming together to get it working. ... Enough Internet speed / the server running to allow the stream etc. Plus it's not proper 4k and fast moving films struggle.. Disc all the way ( well mostly lol )

Associate
I think I may invest in one of these soon; but it pains me to think I’d be spending all that money on ‘old tech’... I mean, when did I last buy a DVD! Streaming is defo the number 1 preference these days, just not 100% there yet!

Soldato
Missed all the replies as was away sorry.

Thanks for the advice, but in the end have decided to go for the Apple TV 4K. Looking at the price comparisons for the actual films was the clincher for me. They are cheaper from what I have seen so far and also it saves on cluttering my house up with discs.

Tried it out last night (not on OLED but a normal 4K) and all looked good. Only issue that I found was that panning scenes and sometimes in standard scenes it was very juddery. From a quick bit of research seems it was down to the resolution of the Apple box. I did have it set at 4K 60 Hz and had enabled the option for it to change resolution to match the source, but it did not seem to do that. Went into settings, changed it to 4K 24 and all was good.

Will also be able to use this as the hub for my home automation too, so has a fair few plus points for me.

Again, thanks all for the time taken to offer advice and views
Have a look in here, I’ve created a thread so you can get access to cheap digital films. :)

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/guide-to-redeeming-digital-movies.18806656/

Back
Top Bottom