Which Road bike up to £1000?

Associate
Looks like Tiagra for a grand. I'm sure it was 105 when I went through the process last year though.

Exchange rates. Most bikes are produced overseas. I'd imagine a tiagra synapse at a grand is about right. Can always look to upgrade componentry as it wears to 105 etc. Espicially as the synapse is regarded as a top frame as is the Allez.

Soldato
OP
Soldato
Associate
From what I've read, it seems that at this end of the market decent aluminium frames (Cannondale and Specialized) are better than cheap carbon. Although, I haven't ridden any carbon bikes to substantiate that claim.

Soldato
If you buy a Specialized bike then you're paying a premium just for the name. At this end of the market where you're trying maximise bang for buck it seems silly paying 20% more for the words 'Specialized' down the tube. [unless the bike is reduced in a sale :) ]

Soldato
OP
Can you persuade them to supplement the voucher with a bit of cash? http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/bikes/road-bikes/cube-attain-race-disc-2017-road-bike.html gets you proper hydraulics, rather than hybrids.

If not, I'd probably also consider http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/bikes/road-bikes/cube-attain-sl-2017-road-bike.html in addition to the Synapse and Allez (you might want to consider a cheaper version of the bikes with a lower spec groupset, if you want/need accessories).

Thanks. I've heard they will do that so the Cube is worth considering. I'm not bothered about saving money though, I won't even notice the £400 it's going to cost me when it's spread over 12 months.

If you buy a Specialized bike then you're paying a premium just for the name. At this end of the market where you're trying maximise bang for buck it seems silly paying 20% more for the words 'Specialized' down the tube. [unless the bike is reduced in a sale :) ]

I'd probably feel the pinch if I was paying retail but since I'm saving 62% on the list price it's not so painful.

Soldato
From what I've read, it seems that at this end of the market decent aluminium frames (Cannondale and Specialized) are better than cheap carbon. Although, I haven't ridden any carbon bikes to substantiate that claim.

My Allez with Ultegra wheels ride infinitely nicer and climbs better than a carbon hire bike with lesser wheels did in Lanzarote.
I agree, stick with aluminium.

Back
Top Bottom