Which Samsung 3D Bluray?

Soldato
Morning All,

As we await the delivery of our new LED Samsung, to take advantage of the 3D I would like to purchase a Samsung 3D bluray.

As the TV is smart I guess it will be a waste buying a smart player, but can anyone recommend one or shall I just go for whatever is cheapest??

Cheers

Soldato
Tbh i wouldnt buy a samsung Bluray product, id get a panasonic dmpbd120 much better quality and will work fine with your telly.

Also most if not all 3D bluray players will have some sort of smart feature .

Associate
We are waiting for our new Samsung LED to be delivered and my research agrees with Insane200's advice. The Samsungs don't review as well as the Panasonic models in the same price bracket, especially in image quality.

I had been looking at the Panasonic DMP-BDT220EB for £130 as a near future purchase but I'm not sure how useful built in wifi is for the extra £40 over the DB120. Not sure if there are any other differences that make the 220 a better purchase generally.

Soldato
OP
Sorry if it sounds stupid but when you talk about image quality...is a 1080p pic not a 1080p pic on a £40 bluray or a £400 bluray??

Associate
Sorry for the late reply GinG. I thought the same but according to reviews the player does make a difference. It would appear it is down to how well the chipset decodes the data and the reproduces the original colour balance etc.

I have no idea if I would be able to tell the difference if I saw to different models side by side on the same TV setups but I would rather try to advoid something that doesn't produce the experience I am hoping for.

I have been reading reviews on HDTVtest, Whathifi and AVForums if you would like to read the various articles. I didn't pay much attention to anything above £150 as that would much more than I plan on spending.

Soldato
Sorry if it sounds stupid but when you talk about image quality...is a 1080p pic not a 1080p pic on a £40 bluray or a £400 bluray??

A lot of manufacturers like to mess with the picture to try and make it look better, extra sharpness, messing with the colours etc.

Panasonic leave things untouched on their players so you see it how it's meant to look.

Here's a mini review of the DB120, vs a much more expensive player, identical results.

http://forums.hdtvtest.co.uk/index.php?topic=7206.0

Last edited:
Soldato
The overall build quality on the panasonics are 100 time better than samsungs players, but the chipset inside the panasonics are the same as the studios use to produce the films.

Soldato
OP
Sorry for the late reply GinG. I thought the same but according to reviews the player does make a difference. It would appear it is down to how well the chipset decodes the data and the reproduces the original colour balance etc.

I have no idea if I would be able to tell the difference if I saw to different models side by side on the same TV setups but I would rather try to advoid something that doesn't produce the experience I am hoping for.

I have been reading reviews on HDTVtest, Whathifi and AVForums if you would like to read the various articles. I didn't pay much attention to anything above £150 as that would much more than I plan on spending.

Interesting, will have a read about. Many thanks for the replies!

Back
Top Bottom