Which side of the road does the camera work for?

Soldato
This camera in particular?

Which side of the road does the camera capture? Left or right?

I always thought it was both, however, someone told me it was only going away from the camera?

Cheers.

Soldato
OP
Only works on the side that it is on

Even although the lines are on the opposite side? Are you 100%. I've just went through it an hour and a bit ago. I was driving towards it on the side of the lines. Left in the photo. It flashed in my face. I was driving my girlfriend home and was a bit tired, wasn't paying attention, however I'm 99% sure I wasn't speeding. Looked down and I was doing 31mph.

There was a guy on the other side of the road, never noticed he was going that fast. So it was definitely for him and not me?

She said he was going quite fast. It was pitch black and difficult to judge.

Can't sleep for worrying now.

Soldato
The lines on the other side, mean

A) there is a second camera on that side
B) the camera was moved to the other side of the road
C) the camera that was there was removed

If you were doing 31 then you'll be able to contest it

Soldato
OP

There's only ever been one camera there... It's not changed sides either. I live literally round the corner from it. I drive through it nearly every day and never been stupid enough to speed through it.

It flashed me in the face... according to Google this means I'm in the clear.

After more research, there's another camera 2 miles away from it... that works in both directions. It has the white line markings on both sides. According to speedukcameras or whatever... it's logged as working in both directions. So I'm thinking... markings on both sides means it monitors both obviously. Just trying to work out why the markings are on my side and not his? Maybe so they can see the markings next to his car... of course if they were on his side, the car would be covering them and not give a clear indication. If that makes sense.

Soldato
Hmmm I was under the impression that the cameras only clocked you on their side, I've been speeded through loads on the other side of the road and never got caught, I thought only mobile speed cameras read the front of the car.

Maybe the markings were faded or removed when the road was resurfaced, hence the line down the middle of the road, I'm not sure

Soldato
No lines to do you on that side of the road so your in the clear.

Is your towns council a bit retarded? The placing of that specific camera seems very odd.

Soldato

Gatsos have speed markings on both sides so that you can't just drive on the wrong side of the road to avoid the markings...

Soldato
I thought they could only catch you when there are markings on the road as shown in the picture on the left hand side.

I believe these are needed as if it was to go to court, they can use the markings as evidence in a time-lapse photograph to prove your speed.

Soldato
I thought they could only catch you when there are markings on the road as shown in the picture on the left hand side.

I believe these are needed as if it was to go to court, they can use the markings as evidence in a time-lapse photograph to prove your speed.

Correct, and they are used to calibrate the camera, they also put markings on the others side before the camera so they can rotate the camera and use it both ways.

Permabanned
It's one side only. I think it's if a car is overtaking they sometimes have them on the other side too for the same direction.

9/10 of them of switched off anyway.

Associate
It's one side only. I think it's if a car is overtaking they sometimes have them on the other side too for the same direction.

9/10 of them of switched off anyway.

And you know 9/10 are switched off how?

Reading around that "who owns my car thread" would I be able to write to the council under some freedom of information request to find out which speed cameras are turned on in my home town, or district locale for that matter?

Also what really annoys me are those stupid 30mph flashing signs that are common place in small villages/towns, some will flash 30mph regardless of what speed your doing and some are like those signs that indicate your speed, only flashing up if your going over 30mph.

I wonder how much these cost to install and half of the time the leds in them dont work properly!

Soldato
I thought they published the number of cameras that were switched off online anyway, I doubt they'll publish details of which ones specificially though, kind of defeats the point

Soldato
They put a speed camera up near me 2 years ago, never been one there and it's one of those types that catches only 1 direction yet they put lines on both sides of the road.

It seemed obvious to me that lines on both sides meant 95% of all drivers slowed down to 30mph no matter what direction they were going as soon as they saw the lines. The ''idea' of the speed camera is to reduce speed (apparently) so by doing this that road never gets anyone doing more than 30mph on either side.

Back
Top Bottom