Which SO-DIMM RAM for Dell Inspiron 5410

Associate
Hi!

I was wondering which RAM I should choose for Dell Inspiron 5410 that supports 64GBRAM SO-DIMM RAM (i7-11390H).

I am thinking about the following:
- Kingston HyperX Impact 3200MHz (KF432S20IB), CL20, 2x32
- Kingston Fury Impact 2933MHz (KF429S17IB), CL17, 2x32

Both are XMP-certified, but to my knowledge I have to divide MHz with CL and the bigger is the better, thus without XMP 2933/17 comes out as a winner with 172.5 compared to 3200/20 which is 160.
I am not an XMP-master (never did it yet), and never play games, but I have many-many windows opened all the time doing many stuff, videos etc. I want smooth work and fastest speed as much as possible but without any issues, I would hate instability etc (BSODs etc).

Which one would you recommend from the above?
And is there any other option that is better recommended from the above?

Thanks very much!
Dan

Man of Honour
Normally OEM systems require JEDEC (not gaming) memory, without XMP. Does your BIOS even have an XMP option?

I put it in the Kingston configurator (at least, based on what you said) and it says 32GB max, where did you get 64GB from? Your system does appear to be newer than the specs I checked, because the i7-11390H doesn't even exist (as an option).

The service manual looks a bit weird, almost like there's some kind of pad on the memory, you might want to have a look. I shouldn't think a heatsink would be problematic, but...

Kingston's configurator recommends standard 'oem' type memory, 3200, CL22. There's no Fury modules in the list.

Associate
OP
Normally OEM systems require JEDEC (not gaming) memory, without XMP. Does your BIOS even have an XMP option?

I put it in the Kingston configurator (at least, based on what you said) and it says 32GB max, where did you get 64GB from? Your system does appear to be newer than the specs I checked, because the i7-11390H doesn't even exist (as an option).

The service manual looks a bit weird, almost like there's some kind of pad on the memory, you might want to have a look. I shouldn't think a heatsink would be problematic, but...

Kingston's configurator recommends standard 'oem' type memory, 3200, CL22. There's no Fury modules in the list.
Thank you very much for sheding light to the whole question!

I didn't know I need the option in the BIOS, but know I googled it and it is clear. No option in the BIOS, so I will forget about XMP :)

I already have this laptop with 64GBRAM, but unfortunately I got it with only 2666 MHz 32GB modules and I will be buying probably a second same laptop and would like to max out the speed this time.
64GBRAM is not officially supported, but I got the machine from a shop where they give warranty for the 64GBRAM version and it truly supports it, so all is well.

If we put aside what is officially supported, knowing there is no XMP option, which one would you choose from the following?
I would choose 3200MHz if it weren't for the 2933/17 = 172.5 thing... What do you think? Am I even right that this is the proper way to compare the RAM?

Thanks,
Daniel

Man of Honour
If we put aside what is officially supported, knowing there is no XMP option, which one would you choose from the following?
I would choose 3200MHz if it weren't for the 2933/17 = 172.5 thing... What do you think? Am I even right that this is the proper way to compare the RAM?

Assuming it will boot at the pnp speed Kingston specify in the datasheets, I don't think it matters, since they will be very similar. I'd probably just go for the higher frequency, since that's the max your CPU supports anyway.

I must say though, if you're keeping the same laptop I wouldn't bother for £200+.

Associate
OP
Assuming it will boot at the pnp speed Kingston specify in the datasheets, I don't think it matters, since they will be very similar. I'd probably just go for the higher frequency, since that's the max your CPU supports anyway.

I must say though, if you're keeping the same laptop I wouldn't bother for £200+.
Thank you very much, this is exactly the information I was in need of. Thanks for taking the time, you helped a lot!!!

Associate
OP
When ram is cheap laptop makers stuff laptops full of ram because more is better right
Seems logical :))))
Well in this case it is not originally packed with lot of RAM, but you can upgrade by yourself (doesn't harm the warranty), which was very positive for me. My previous laptop had 16GBRAM (that is the max, soldered and not expandable) and I was constantly running out of RAM, thus I wanted no limits this time :)

Back
Top Bottom