Which sound card (gamer/skype/movies)

Associate
Using a soundblaster audigy 2 atm (have had it for 7 years?) ...
- drivers are a bit outdated
- I cannot use my microphone with this card 64 bit windows doesnt like it

I was 'hoping' creative's new cards would be good; but they appear to be getting a lot of mixed reviews.

While I could, and have been thinking about getting a webcam I still might want a upgraded soundcard.

oh - I dont really need a front faceplate - and Im using some old but decent 5.1 logitech speakers.

suggestions ...

Associate
OP
The ASUS Xonar's are good.

DG if you're on a budget.

But too be honest you could use onboard and maybe get better results if the Audigy is struggling.

dont really know if it is struggeling or not - seems to work fine; its just ya no mic for me and wondering if things will sound better with something else ... btw Ive always used sound blaster ... is asus decent enough?

Soldato
I moved from an X-Fi Xtremegamer to an Asus Xonar and the jump wasn't astronomical but noticeable. Better output devices is always your best bet to increase sound quality. An ASUS Xonar DG should serve you well but if you want to spend more the other Asus cards are good as well.

Associate
OP
I moved from an X-Fi Xtremegamer to an Asus Xonar and the jump wasn't astronomical but noticeable. Better output devices is always your best bet to increase sound quality. An ASUS Xonar DG should serve you well but if you want to spend more the other Asus cards are good as well.

was looking at all the different xonars (appear to be a lot) no idea whats the difference between em all and a few list 7.1 - will my 5.1 speakers work fine?

- btw thanks for the help

Soldato
I've never personally used a speaker set up on a sound card so I'm not the best person to ask. But I think the card should allow you to go to 5.1 mode in the same way it allows you to go into Headphone mode etc.

Well Essence STX is the best currently although there was a release recently of a new card by ASUS. There's also the DG/D1/D2 below this card. For most people a DG is more than enough. But the D1's/D2's people have noticed improvements in sound quality with good quality headphones/speakers. So it comes down to how much you want to pay and the quality of your sound outputs as to what it's worth getting.

I have a DG myself due to needing a headphone amp.

Soldato
I'd look at third party drivers tbh or even look at simply uninstalling/reinstalling.

Since most Creative drivers seem to be pretty much the same it seems odd that you can't find a version that works with the microphone input.

Associate
OP
I'd look at third party drivers tbh or even look at simply uninstalling/reinstalling.

Since most Creative drivers seem to be pretty much the same it seems odd that you can't find a version that works with the microphone input.

Nope - tried everything I could find ... well ok - maybe not everything but tried a lot.

Soldato
Have a xonar d2, getting rid of my horrid creative card has worked wonders for system stability for me!

Plus the basic ones run great, very cheap and a noticeable upgrade over onboard

Soldato
Tried the card with a fresh install of Windows or in another PC?

Tried PAX drivers?

Definitely worth trying unless you're just looking for an excuse to buy something lol ;)

Back
Top Bottom