Which sports bike?

Associate
Since passing my DAS last year I've had a GSXR 600 srad (for 2 weeks) and a VFR 750, which I use daily to commute on.

I currently have my VFR on eBay as I want a sports bike, but I'm unsure of which bike. With a £2000 budget what would you chose? I'm thinking R1 or zx9r... Anything else I'm over looking?

Associate
OP
Test rides are tricky, though. 99% of bikes in the age category I'm looking at are private sales. Which is the better built/reliable between the R1 and fireblade?

Soldato
It's honestly not even worth comparing as all the Japanese super sports are extremely reliable. You'll get your odd minor problems, of course, but they'll come with any bike you choose.

Like I said before, it all comes down to personal preference.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Test rides are tricky, though. 99% of bikes in the age category I'm looking at are private sales. Which is the better built/reliable between the R1 and fireblade?

I'm grabbing info from mates & anywhere at the mo in my search for my next bike.
The Blades engine is stonking & bullet proof & Every single person has said the same, The only known issue is it jumping out of 2nd if the previous owner/owners have been popping wheelies going from 2nd to 3rd ***** up the selector apparently & is a common problem on thrashed ones so if test riding a Blade stick it in 2nd & thrash the knackers off it & see if it pops out of gear., Another thing worth mentioning on the Blades is get a fuel injected one & one that has a 17inch front wheel/tyre. Bit of lag on the earlier carb models & the fronts a bit wishy washy when on a 16.

ZX9R is one of the Few big bikes I've ridden & I have to say it was the easiest bike I've ever ridden as well.

R1's - A couple of mates had R1's & rate them for wheelies :D but they are no good if you are a tall guy/big bloke as there is no front end on them. Go like **** though with the right jockey style rider on. :cool:

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'm 5'10 so shouldn't be a problem.

I don't think my budget will stretch to a fuel injected model. Most of the bikes I've seen in my price range are late 90's models.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'd happily spend a bit more, but seeing as I don't have a garage, my bike lives under cover on the street. I wouldnt feel happy leaving an expensive bike out all year round.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Hmmm a monster old Blade is what you need then, They scare people who walk past them let alone ride them. :p
Spend 1800 quid on one & do 180mph on it & it'll be 10 quid per mile an hour all the way to 180 :eek: + :D

Associate
OP
Thought I'd update the thread with what I ended up getting.

I got offered a straight swap on a Suzuki RF900R. I'd never even heard of this bike before, but after a bit of reading they seem like sound bikes. It's a 1999 bike with full mot and tax. It goes well compared to the VFR, do you think I got a good deal?

rf900.jpg

Associate
Mate ifyou are happy with it that is all that matters, different horses and all that. What is comfortable for me and you may mean that I love your bike or can't get on with it. I recon you did alright out of I though. :D

Back
Top Bottom