Which SSDs support Win7 Trim out of the box

Associate
Which SSD's support Winows 7 TRIM without needing a firmware update? I dont fancy haveing to reformat for a new firmware. Or would it be better waiting and seeing if something like the CrucialM225 ships with new firmare in the next few weeks?

Cheers

Associate
As HazardO says...

Wait and see what happens with the Indilinx drives (Crucial & OCZ amongst others) and the firmware. It's not 100% confirmed that the firmware will be destructive yet, and if it is there is a possibility it will only be destructive for those that upgraded to 1711 not those who stayed on 1571. (This is what I'd picked up on various forums - but must admit I'm not up to speed over the past week).

Not sure on Intel or Samsung's plans...but the last I heard there was no way for end users to flash Samsung SSDs.

Last edited:
Soldato
wiper = manual version of TRIM.

There's really nothing stopping you from using SSDs now, rather than waiting an indeterminate amount of time for a automatic TRIM enabled firmware.

Associate
Even without using Wiper, I don't notice much slowdown on my SSD. A heavily fragmented, dirty SSD will still rock the socks off a brand new HDD any day. That said, I still use wiper once a week ;)

Soldato
wiper = manual version of TRIM.

There's really nothing stopping you from using SSDs now, rather than waiting an indeterminate amount of time for a automatic TRIM enabled firmware.

Is that the OCZ Wiper Tool you are referring too?

Does that work on Intel SSDs or does Intel have one of their own?

Soldato
"No SSD is 100% Windows 7 compatible with the trim command as of yet, we will be seeing ssd's soonish with the Windows 7 logo on the packaging. These will be the drives to get ;)"

With firmware updates they will get there though. But for a drive to display the Windows 7 logo on its packaging it has to meet certain criteria, bugger if i can remember what it was though lol

Canna remember where i saw this info though :(

Quick google came up with this. Similar article to what i was reading.

http://windows7center.com/windows-7...improve-on-solid-state-drive-ssd-performance/

"In Windows 7, Microsoft promises a substantial increase in read and write speed of SSDs. First and foremost, Windows 7 will partition the SSDs more efficiently to lessen the redundant read-write cycles. Also, when Windows 7 detects an SSD, it will automatically disable defragmentation, since defragmenting can reduce the lifespan of Solid State Drives. Read times are usually boosted when drives are defragmented, but since flash memory already has a high read rate and slow write rate, defragment is unideal for SSDs.

Secondly, Windows 7 will also come with a feature called �trim� which will cut down on the amount of data to be deleted, increasing the SSD’s lifespan and allowing it to delete garbage data in advance. It also uses ATA commands to increase the SSD write speeds.

And thirdly, Microsoft is planning to start a certification program for SSDs. This will probably be an extension of their Windows 7 Capable sticker program. In order to win “the logo of approval,” SSDs must give priority to reading data rather than slow writes and use a native SATA interface.

Finally, Microsoft plans to create a certification program for SSDs. To win the software maker’s logo of approval, SSDs must identify themselves to Windows 7 properly, prioritize data reads over slower data writes, comply with the Serial ATA (SATA) drive interface for faster connections and more, Shu said"

Soldato
I'm extreemly suspcious of that fact this trim enabled firmware STILL has not arrived. Windows 7 has supported TRIM for ages and it's now RTM.

What are these companies waiting for exactly? I wouldn't invest in a model until I knew the support was there. I mean everyone would have assumed the Intel G1's would gain the support but now we all know they won't. Why take the chance if you can afford to hold off a while...

Associate
I'm extreemly suspcious of that fact this trim enabled firmware STILL has not arrived. Windows 7 has supported TRIM for ages and it's now RTM.

What are these companies waiting for exactly? I wouldn't invest in a model until I knew the support was there. I mean everyone would have assumed the Intel G1's would gain the support but now we all know they won't. Why take the chance if you can afford to hold off a while...

Yeah SSD as a tech is too young. Pick up a 60 quid F3 and wait.

Guys, IMO you're making a bigger deal out of this than it really is. TRIM is no more than the equivalent of defrag, but it's automatic and in the background. Even on traditional HDs you at least need to set up the schedule.

On Indilinx drives setting Wiper on a schedule is not really any hardship.

Fair point on the Intel G1's though.

But what you have to remember is that a poorly performing SSD (JMicron drives aside) is still going to blow away a mechanical drive.

Still, if you want that 100% certainty about it all, then yes by all means wait - I just think you're missing out if these trivial issues are the only things holding you back.

Associate
(From CPC) No SSDs bear the 'works with windows 7' logo as MS demands that drives 'show no signs of performance degradation' which is a hell of an ask imo but all indilinx controlled drives are the most likely candidates when the firmware with the new garbage collection algorithm are on sale

Back
Top Bottom