Which superhero film for a 6 year old?

Soldato
I'd say most superhero movies in the last ten years might be a bit much for a six year old. They tend to be okay for the most part, but will have scary, or frightening moments. Even if if there's no gore, there's a lot of strongly implied violence in most of the recent movies.

There are a lot of superhero cartoon series out there aimed at the younger age group that might be more suitable.

Soldato
The Incredibles is safest but if you mean the new Marvel type superheroes most of them are 12 cert so parental guidance is needed, most of them are fine with a bit of language not to be repeated and cartoon type violence.

I watched The Fantastic Four with my two boys last week and that was safe. As mentioned above the original Superman films are U cert.

The IMDB has a parent's guide for most films, a read though that will tell you exactly how much swearing, violence, sex scenes/references are in it, even how much smoking is in it. It is quite a good check if you are unsure but it is set to max prude level!

Caporegime
I wouldn't say the imdb guide is "set" at prude level. I'd say that the info is exhaustive in order to be of use to just about everyone, be they very liberal or very cautious.

As for the op, I'd say most are going to be way over a 6 year old's head.

Soldato
My uncle let's his children watch some superhero films, they're 7 and 9. Although they did watch them a when they were younger.

I'd say iron man 1 is OK, as is the avengers. Thor might be scary for them when you've got the aliens up

Not x men or wolverine thought

Soldato
I'll be honest, I wouldn't let my child watch those films until they were more like 10+ and that's dependant on how I thought they'd handle it. Iron Man is a PG-13 after all... six to me is way too young.

Jurassic Park was a PG when it came out and I can remember my cousin going to the cinema with his parents at 8 years old and he didn't sleep properly for months - bit extreme example but it is pretty scary stuff for a child that doesn't understand the things we do and would often believe things that we know would be purely science fiction.

In my mind children are desensitised enough to violence and unhealthy self-images without adding to it. Maybe I'm overprotective but there are plenty of other things out there to watch that would be more suitable (and entertaining) for them.

It's interesting as only since having our first child have I realised how much peril is in animated films (Disney are classics for this) where I've visually seen my child get upset at the perilous situation a character has found themselves in. Granted she isn't 6 but I'm in no rush to expose her to TV/film that is too old for her.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom