Which supermarket do you use for your weekly food shop (online delivery)?

Soldato
So in the past, I haven't done much food shopping (I live in supported accommodation) as the staff used to do it for me. Still, I will start doing it myself and wonder which supermarket people prefer online orders and home delivery? I don't have a lot of money, and I live in the southeast of England. I'd be grateful for any tips.

Soldato
ASDA for the weekly shop, Sainsbury’s for an occasional gluten free top-up. ASDA has cheaper delivery options if you aren’t fussy about the delivery time (their 1 hour slots in the evening tend to be cheaper) and can book it in advance.

Soldato
Aldi or Lidl, all good, once we got our heads around the different brands. Depending on the exact branch the life of their fresh veg can be a little short, so tend to take that in to account when choosing what to eat each day.

Saves a ton over the other stores and once we got used to the range, we do not visit other stores outside the weekly shop.

Actually like the fact that the tills are super fast and generally shopping is faster in these smaller stores.

Scratch that, I missed only online delivery.

Man of Honour
Aldi or Lidl, all good, once we got our heads around the different brands. Depending on the exact branch the life of their fresh veg can be a little short, so tend to take that in to account when choosing what to eat each day.

Saves a ton over the other stores and once we got used to the range, we do not visit other stores outside the weekly shop.

Actually like the fact that the tills are super fast and generally shopping is faster in these smaller stores.
No good for online delivery though, unless you just want little top ups using deliveroo

Soldato
Yeah apologies, for online we used Asda and Sainsbury's, found Sainsbury's to be a lot better with actually providing what we ordered. So much more expensive than visiting Aldi/Lidl though, we can comfortably afford, but feels like a waste of money.

Man of Honour
Yeah apologies, for online we used Asda and Sainsbury's, found Sainsbury's to be a lot better with actually providing what we ordered. So much more expensive than visiting Aldi/Lidl though, we can comfortably afford, but feels like a waste of money.

They all seem quite bad for substitutions currently, more a sign of the times than anything else.

I use Sainsbury's mostly as at least around here they seem to be a little less likely to mess up the order than the others.

Man of Honour
Ive used Ocado for years. Reliable, rarely substitute or have out of stock items, decent value. Preferred when they stocked Waitrose to M&S, but can get most of what I want there and usually next day. Was really good when the world went mad too.

Soldato
For someone on a limited budget you recommend Gousto?
It's 35 quid a week for 4 meals for two, so it is a bit spenny - but the main thing is, for me anyway, takeaway avoidance. Supermarkets require a moderate level of planning and thought which I don't have the time to do each week. Gousto means I can 0 brain cell a decent meal without thought and I've avoided countless lazy takeaway moments.

Consigliere
Make sure to check Google for discount vouchers against your first online shop... all the supermarkets do it, like £10 off a £40 spend or similar for first time customers

^ This. :)

You can then join all the big supermarkets and take advantage of their welcome deals. Could be great to stock up on cupboard things eg tins, pasta etc.

Personally I'd say Tesco or Sainsburys.

@Cromulent - Ensure you get a Clubcard/Nectar card so you earn points for each shop. That turns into extra discounts/vouchers. And if you can, could get a credit card from them too to get the welcome bonus and then pay it off straight away. You can then get double points if you pay with the credit card or something like that.

Caporegime
We still go to the local butchers and veg from Wednesday market. It is unbelievable just how bad supermarket meat is. Even the "fake" M&S and Waitrose quality.

We have a Tesco and Lidl 2 minutes round the corner so will get everything else from there. Very rarely eat processed foods bar the odd snack etc.

Soldato
I was an Ocado customer for about 8 years but once they switched to stocking M&S products, I jumped ship and started using Waitrose.

The website took a bit of getting used to, but the food, price and service has been excellent.

Back
Top Bottom