Which supermarket do you use for your weekly food shop (online delivery)?

We use HelloFresh every second week and use New World, Victoria Park for our food shop (it is in Auckland CBD so may not be ideally located for some or even most readers - they do online deliveries but again, unlikely that your Iceberg will remain crisp due to travel times).

Did I read this right?

Mags has actually written a serious post in GD?!

I better check the label on the gin bottle that I'm drinking from :p

Caporegime

I have never used Ocado before but do supply to them through work. I have always wondered what is the purpose of Ocado as they are basically a delivery company for the brands and their own label stuff is small and basically repackaged material from other brands. Like has already been mentioned they used to do the delivery for Waitrose but then they were dropped and then picked up M&S. Surely now post lockdown a lot of the major chains have got their deliveries and click and collect to a T so what do they offer that the other companies do not?

Soldato
I have never used Ocado before but do supply to them through work. I have always wondered what is the purpose of Ocado as they are basically a delivery company for the brands and their own label stuff is small and basically repackaged material from other brands. Like has already been mentioned they used to do the delivery for Waitrose but then they were dropped and then picked up M&S. Surely now post lockdown a lot of the major chains have got their deliveries and click and collect to a T so what do they offer that the other companies do not?
Instead of digging within yourself for the answer, maybe check their corporate website and stock price.

Associate
Maybe, although what isn't after you're personal databtgeae days to sell to third party's, at least with this one your actually getting something out of it by saving a fair bit lol.
This isn't the place to discuss how supermarkets will monetize your private data in the background BUT I'm rather intrigued as to why you think your getting good prices at a supermarket.

Soldato
Having worked in retail for a long time and seen the rise of home shopping and it's chaotic effect on the already stressful job of getting shelves full, I swore I'd never shop online for food.

Then I became a full time carer. Then covid came. Then I ate my words! Tesco was my nearest pedestrian shop, so that's where I'd been shopping. But the online covid slot lottery took me to Iceland, where I'd never shopped. Throughout the pandemic I never failed to get a slot and that earned them my loyalty. I do an occasional top-up shop with Tesco, but Iceland's limited range is broad enough to suit me most of the time. You have to be very careful with their prices, but we're on a budget too so all the usual tricks of bulk buying special offers and avoiding impulse purchases (as with any shop) apply. But it's never going to match Aldi, which will inevitably be my cash-strapped port of call when my caring role ends.

I've had a pre-allocated Christmas week slot with Iceland for about two months, thanks to being a regular customer. But I had an order from Tesco two weeks ago and was surprised at the availability they had locally, having not used them for six months. Getting a slot with them is currently almost as easy as getting next day delivery from Iceland. Iceland have also introduced same day deliveries if you order in the morning**, which must be frustrating for staff to deal with but handy in an emergency.

[This post was not sponsored by Kerry Katona's retirement fund.]

**Seems to be just for 'VIP' regular customers.

Last edited:
Associate
the online covid slot lottery took me to Iceland, where I'd never shopped. Throughout the pandemic I never failed to get a slot and that earned them my loyalty.

Yikes...... have you got scurvy? Iceland's choice of fresh fruit & vegetables is tiny and rather manky looking judging from my last visit (pint of milk)

Soldato
Yikes...... have you got scurvy? Iceland's choice of fresh fruit & vegetables is tiny and rather manky looking judging from my last visit (pint of milk)
Their frozen veg range is extensive and entirely adequate. I've used frozen fruit mixes too. Fresh savoy cabbage was missing last week, but I've plenty of broccoli in the freezer. Bananas and oranges can be a bit hit & miss, depending on who's picking, and I forgot to mention that they have limited substitutions, so they're not for folk who are picky. I'm pretty flexible in my attitude after seeing first hand what a nightmare home shopping can be to organise and satisfy demanding customers.

Man of Honour
I live in a small town, so we generally get our meat from the butcher, the farmer's market comes twice a week so we get some stuff from there, but for everything else we have a medium sized waitrose in town, and then the rest we either get from online delivery (bother / ocado / sainsburys). We tend to do shopping on a fairly regular basis, i.e. we don't do a "weekly" shop per se, it's never been something I've done - but that's probably a habit of living in European countries where that's fairly normal.

Man of Honour
For online delivery we use Asda, they’ve always been reliable and their drivers are okay for the most part.
If there’s something we need which Asda either don’t carry or it’s constantly out of stock, depending on traffic we’ll use either Tesco or Waitrose.
If Rotherhithe Tunnel looks like it’s running free, then it’s Waitrose Canary Wharf, if not then it’s Tesco Surrey Quays.

Soldato
My general shop is with ASDA, if I fancy having a salad then I'll go to Morrisons instead because they have an excellent deli counter and they're Best Range Coleslaw.. is the best

Soldato
I used to consider Ocado my favourite, but it went downhill after they split with Waitrose.

I tried Waitrose in early November, nearly every item was subbed, and no bags. Of course all the main supermarkets are now no bags, just Ocado and Iceland left.

Usually I now rotate between asda and Iceland. Asda to be fair are helping me with bags with most of their drivers, Iceland still do bags but have very limited choice of food.

I used to like Morrisons more then ASDA but gave up on them when was impossible to order at start of covid, they may get another chance at some point though. They were planning to use paper bags, but fell in line with the others and are now no bags on deliveries as well. :(

Back
Top Bottom