Which UPS for power hungry system?

Soldato
I'm looking to get a UPS (preferably APC) to run the following system for about 10 mins minimum (enough time to gracefully shutdown or to withstand a 5 min power outage).

I'm unsure of what size UPS I would need for the following system - any ideas?

Threadripper 1950x
64GB memory
3 NVME (970 Evo)
2 SATA SSD
Zotac 1070 mini
1000w Corsair RM series PSU

I've also got a 4K Asus screen - but not sure if this is worth putting on UPS, scripts should automatically handle any shutdown if needed.

Any guidance or recommendations appreciated.

Thanks!

Soldato
For successfull transfer to battery power in any kind load scenario fair 500W would be good minimum.
And I mean watts, not that marketing BS VAs makers often use to sell UPSes as bigger than they actually are...
Especially APC has lately added couple basically scamming models with watt rating half the VAs.
(display doesn't add much unless it's some huge TV)

And I assume you would like UPS to be able to be handle some minutes of power draw with PC working without need for shutdown if work is almost finished.
I would be certainly ****** off if some longer work was almost ready and UPS couldn't power that draw for few minutes without starting to worry about batteries running empty.
Plus often power might come back after few minutes.

Also are standard IEC sockets enough or do you want it to have UK power sockets?

Soldato
OP
IEC is fine, makes sense.

10 minutes of full draw is what I'm after, I'll get something to invoke graceful shutdown after 5 minutes if power has not come back.

Completely agree some of the marketing lingo around UPSs is bonkers - hence the thread! :D

Cheers

Soldato
For CPU intensive use that draw should be around 300W, maybe 350W at max depending on display.
Though display's consumption is heavily dependant on brightness setting.

10 minute running time at that load is available from home/office UPSes.

Including likes of Eaton Ellipse Pro if you're running short on horizontal space next to case/behind display/where you want to put UPS:
http://powerquality.eaton.com/ELP1600IEC.aspx?cx=101
That has dozen minute running time at 400W load and nearing 20 minutes at 300W.

Cyberpower has sinewave model likely around that price, just not sure how they push that price down.
https://www.cyberpower.com/uk/en/product/sku/cp1500epfclcd-uk
(completely China designed and made?)

APC's site is annoying to browse because they hide watt rating to inside model specific page instead of listing it in page of that UPS serie.
They sure aren't "shy" in their own page prices, when Back-UPS Pro 1500VA (865W) price reaches to level at which Eaton 5P 1550i is available through Idealo UK's site...
And that's sinewave UPS with notch up battery capacity and designed for server use.
(literally, because its active cooling isn't made for low noise and home use needs some fan modding)

Soldato
I recently bought one of these second hand off ebay: https://www.apc.com/shop/uk/en/products/APC-Smart-UPS-1500VA-LCD-230V/P-SMT1500I

Managed to get a pair of brand new batteries for free but they're not too expensive to replace should you need to. I tested it with my PC plugged in for the battery calibration running a benchmark, it lasted about 40 minutes. I use it for 2 Dell rackmount servers, a HP procurve switch and a Draytek modem and it sits at about 18% load.

Back
Top Bottom