Which VDSL faceplate to use with cat5e extension?

GeX

GeX

Soldato
I'm moving my router away from the master socket (NTE5) and have a cat5e (solid core) run to where I want the router. Connection is FTTC / VDSL.

I've not put connector on either end yet, I was going to just make it a 'normal' network extension with an RJ45 on one end and a socket on the other - but was thinking, is this the best idea?

I remember when I first had FTTC installed (years ago) at another house I had the 'extension kit' fitted and that was wired directly into the back of the faceplate - this skipped out having to have another connector on the line.

What faceplate should I be looking at, how would you wire this?

Caporegime
The Openreach faceplate has terminals on the back for a VDSL extension, punch down a single pair into this, put an RJ45 outlet on the other end.

Soldato
Personally I just wired a Cat 6 cable directly into the back of the faceplate, then wired the other end into a patch panel. Then you can make any of your RJ45 sockets in your house a VDSL socket by simply connecting the correct patch panel ports together (or just hook up your router directly to the patch panel port if it's located in the same place).

Last edited:

GeX

GeX

Soldato
OP
What is 'the Openreach' faceplate - I have a microfilter style splitter / filter on my current setup. There's no built in filter.

Is MK3 the latest / best?

Soldato
There's a Mk4 now but I used a Mk3. You're generally more likely to get faster speeds with a filter-on-faceplate setup rather than using them on all ports separately, but it probably doesn't make a huge difference. It does make it easier though because you don't need microfilters everywhere you have a landline phone.

Soldato
I left my Openreach modem at the front door next to the BT master, then I have a cat5e cable going from there, upstairs to my router.
That is another way to do it. I don't bother with a separate modem any more (although I have one spare just in case) so I want my modem/router box in the best place for wireless reception.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
OP
I've just cut a path into the wall, down the back of the door frame, into the subfloor and then up underneath the stairs - I want all the comms kit out of the hallway as the trailing wires from the power sockets to the router on the window cill looked untidy.

MK3 faceplate ordered, thanks all :)

GeX

GeX

Soldato
OP
Faceplate arrived, and socket installed on the other end. It's wired as a 'normal' network socket (B). I have an RJ45 to RJ11 cable to connect from the socket to the modem. Which pair do I need to connect to the extension pins on the faceplate?

It looks like pin 3 and 4, which is blue and white/green.. and wrong as that's not a single pair!

edit: It's the blue/white pair, isn't it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I plan to extend mine by just plugging an RJ45 into the master socket and other end into a network socket nearby this then goes to the patch panel which i connect my router to.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
OP
All sorted, wired it to the blue pair. Thanks for all the advice everyoe, works perfectly, banished the wires from the hallway :D

robj20 - my master socket doesn't have an RJ45 connection on it.

Back
Top Bottom